PDA

View Full Version : Economic: potentially only issue I disagree with Ron Paul in...

nolvorite
06-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know why, but I feel like this is gonna bother me in the future whenever he talks about it. Im not sure I agree with him on the Gold Standard, and that we should have to go to a bank just to verify that it has gold on the dollar that we use to buy and sell things. Thats too much work

convince me that the gold standard is a good thing

Travlyr
06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Gold, Peace, and Prosperity (http://mises.org/resources/3150) by Ron Paul

It is a short read and well worth it.

Guitarzan
06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
He advocates more of a competing currency standard rather than a gold standard.

IPSecure
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Convince me that the paper faith standard is a good thing...

low preference guy
06-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Ron advocates for competing currencies. He wants a transition period where the Fed isn't closed down immediately, but people are allowed to use gold and silver to compete with the Fed. If you want to keep using paper dollars, you can.

Hotchney
06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't know why, but I feel like this is gonna bother me in the future whenever he talks about it. Im not sure I agree with him on the Gold Standard, and that we should have to go to a bank just to verify that it has gold on the dollar that we use to buy and sell things. Thats too much work

Money is a good. It doesn't matter what the good is (gold, silver, cigarettes, alcohol, etc) . The problem is, the government made the good (gold) illegal to use as money and hence, all of the bills of credits (dollar bills) that were receipts for gold were then fraudulent.

You don't need to support a "gold standard." Just support a free market in money with no fraud. Don't support money by government decree.

Bodhi
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM

How about you try to convince me that going back to the gold standard is not a good thing.

dannno
06-05-2011, 02:53 PM
The gold standard would be better than what we have today because there would be checks and balances against devaluing the currency.. but it would still allow for currency manipulations because the wealthy could potentially manipulate the value of gold.

The best solution, which Ron Paul advocates, is freedom. Competing currencies, allowing the market to use whatever it sees fit. In fact, competing currencies could potentially run alongside a government fiat currency, helping to keep it in check.. but it wouldn't force people to use the fiat currency in case government wants to devalue it to pay for things like foreign wars or other wasteful programs.

Microsecessionist
06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
If you have competing currencies with a government, then what do you pay your taxes in? The government shouldn't be allowed to print money, coin money, or create money in any way, but if government has to exist, then it should be limited to collecting taxes in nothing other than gold bullion; also, unanimous consent of the member states and/or legislature should be required to change that (unanimous consent required so that it would be impossible to change). One thing I don't agree with Dr. Paul on is fractional reserve banking. I don't think it shouldn't be allowed. Legal tender should be abolished, but embezzlement should be illegal.