PDA

View Full Version : What will the collapse look like?

FortisKID
06-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Should I stop caring about my homework and just buy a gun?

Carehn
06-04-2011, 11:34 PM

yes.

Vessol
06-04-2011, 11:36 PM

No. I don't think it's going to be the armageddon many here seem to think it will be, but it will certainly be bad.

I'd make sure you're getting an education in a field that will have some use beyond government or service work. Buisiness/medical/etc. Or a vocational degree.

However, I would still buy a gun.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
A little better than the USSR collapse.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
No. I don't think it's going to be the armageddon many here seem to think it will be, but it will certainly be bad.

I'd make sure you're getting an education in a field that will have some use beyond government or service work. Buisiness/medical/etc. Or a vocational degree.

However, I would still buy a gun.
Plenty of ammo and food, too. :cool:

Vessol
06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Plenty of ammo and food, too. :cool:

And learn some home gardening and how to repair some basic stuff at home.

Bartering skills are a big plus too. I've been meaning to try that at some local farmer's stands here.

FortisKID
06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
A little better than the USSR collapse.

Well like how bad? Isn't it possible that the U.S will face some sort of civil war?

Carehn
06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Yep! You know that degree is going to be so damn important when your trying to find a job after the government is restructured. Truth is its not all that damn important now. Truth is collage is a scam so if thats the type of homework your talking about i would drop out tonight and go get a job. Your buying yourself a mortgage with out the house. Do yourself a favor and drop out before its to late and you owe them the rest of your life.

low preference guy
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Do yourself a favor and drop out before its to late and you owe them the rest of your life.

He will not likely own them the rest of his life because the dollar might hyperinflate.

Vessol
06-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Yep! You know that degree is going to be so damn important when your trying to find a job after the government is restructured. Truth is its not all that damn important now. Truth is collage is a scam so if thats the type of homework your talking about i would drop out tonight and go get a job. Your buying yourself a mortgage with out the house. Do yourself a favor and drop out before its to late and you owe them the rest of your life.

I disagree. Certainly college is not for everyone and a good deal of it is a scam, but a degree provides certification that will give you certain qualifications even post-collapse.

I seriously doubt that a medical degree or a business administration degree would be absolutely worthless post-collapse. The world isn't going mad max, it's just going to be a currency collapse.

Also if we're going to collapse, why care about debt?

Carehn
06-04-2011, 11:44 PM
He will not likely own them the rest of his life because the dollar might hyperinflate.

I like the cut of your jib! But do you think the banks will come out on the bottom when it all goes? No they will find a way to pass the cost onto us and swindle away with what little is left. Then they will pounce on the new government when it is supple enough for the feast.

I should be a banker...
THATS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO KID!!! Fortiskid, you should drop out and become a bankster.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I like the cut of your jib! But do you think the banks will come out on the bottom when it all goes? No they will find a way to pass the cost onto us and swindle away with what little is left. Then they will pounce on the new government when it is supple enough for the feast.

I should be a banker...
THATS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO KID!!! Fortiskid, you should drop out and become a bankster.
He should also befriend Ben Bernanke. ;)

FortisKID
06-04-2011, 11:49 PM

I should be a banker...

Actually I'm in High School and I'll be a senior next year. I'm still trying to decide whether I should take out loans and go to college. I might go with ur suggestion ;P

low preference guy
06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
there are places with financial aid. there are colleges who have a policy to not have their students accrue so much debt. research carefully.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Actually I'm in High School and I'll be a senior next year. I'm still trying to decide whether I should take out loans and go to college. I might go with ur suggestion ;P
Think about it very carefully. Your loans won't be dismissed if you go bankrupt, and it may take decades to get out of debt-depending on what path you take.

Carehn
06-04-2011, 11:53 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! Don't go to collage. Its all BS and I think you know that. Just get a Job and work your way up. Or start your own thing.

If you take out that loan or waist all that time you will regret it Very bad one day.

low preference guy
06-04-2011, 11:54 PM
you might want to read this thread:

Sociology Major Graduates with $200,000 in Debt (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?271527-Sociology-Major-Graduates-with-200-000-in-Debt)

Vessol
06-04-2011, 11:54 PM

I'd suggest looking into a vocational degree. Such as an electrician or plumbing.

low preference guy
06-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I'd suggest looking into a vocational degree. Such as an electrician or plumbing.

i'd suggest figuring out what you'll like doing. some people will never be happy being plumbers or electricians, just like others won't ever be happy being lawyers.

AceNZ
06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
What will the collapse look like?

Look at Greece and other places in Europe for a preview: high food prices, high unemployment, increase militarism of the police, decreasing freedoms, the collapse of the dollar (which could be very sudden), lower wages -- and a general decrease in standard of living.

That depends on a lot of factors. Are you incurring debt to go to school? What kind of program are you in? What are your future job prospects like? Have you already stocked up on food and other preps?

Degrees these days are mostly helpful for getting government jobs, unless you're studying things like engineering, law or medicine. Even law schools are now telling their graduates that the job market doesn't look very good for the foreseeable future. In some areas, PhDs are driving taxis.

In general, most people are better off working for 4 years than going to school for 4 years. They gain work experience as well as an income during that time. Most employers these days are more concerned about experience in their field than in formal education. If an employer has a choice between someone with 4 yrs experience and someone with a degree, they are much more likely to choose the former than the latter.

As far as getting a gun, it depends a lot on where you live. IMO, violence and riots are much more likely in urban areas than out in the boonies.

Carehn
06-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Ignore all these people and become a bankster. It looks fun and easy from this side of the fence.

If ya cant beat um then you know what to do. Come on kid, lets go build us a printing press and write up some loan contracts. I hear we can make a fortune loaning to sucker 18 year olds looking to go to collage. Its no risk because they cant default. Its win win baby!!

Vessol
06-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Ignore all these people and become a bankster. It looks fun and easy from this side of the fence.

If ya cant beat um then you know what to do. Come on kid, lets go build us a printing press and write up some loan contracts. I hear we can make a fortune loaning to sucker 18 year olds looking to go to collage. Its no risk because they cant default. Its win win baby!!

I'll actually admit that I find calculating interest and all those financial equations are actually a lot of fun. I've considered applying for a job as a teller at a local bank :P.

Carehn
06-05-2011, 12:06 AM
I'll actually admit that I find calculating interest and all those financial equations are actually a lot of fun. I've considered applying for a job as a teller at a local bank :P.

Honest banking would not be all that bad. Actually not all collage is bad either. I just get funky this time of night as you can tell.

And good luck with what ever you do kid. Its not going to be easy what ever it is. Shits gunna get kinda hard for us all real soon me thinks. But thats just preaching to the choir around this place.

FortisKID
06-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Look at Greece and other places in Europe for a preview: high food prices, high unemployment, increase militarism of the police, decreasing freedoms, the collapse of the dollar (which could be very sudden), lower wages -- and a general decrease in standard of living.

That depends on a lot of factors. Are you incurring debt to go to school? What kind of program are you in? What are your future job prospects like? Have you already stocked up on food and other preps?

Degrees these days are mostly helpful for getting government jobs, unless you're studying things like engineering, law or medicine. Even law schools are now telling their graduates that the job market doesn't look very good for the foreseeable future. In some areas, PhDs are driving taxis.

In general, most people are better off working for 4 years than going to school for 4 years. They gain work experience as well as an income during that time. Most employers these days are more concerned about experience in their field than in formal education. If an employer has a choice between someone with 4 yrs experience and someone with a degree, they are much more likely to choose the former than the latter.

As far as getting a gun, it depends a lot on where you live. IMO, violence and riots are much more likely in urban areas than out in the boonies.

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm still in High School and I haven't decided yet on college. But how much violence do you suspect will be in my area?

tangent4ronpaul
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Try to go to one of these colleges:
http://www.ctcl.org/

and get a gun!

-t

Vessol
06-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm still in High School and I haven't decided yet on college. But how much violence do you suspect will be in my area?

Looting primarily. With a currency collapse, infrastructure will suffer for at least a year or two. There will be a lot of shortages, primarily in food.

Learning to defend yourself and your property is important, but getting to know your neighbors and your areas is even more important.

FortisKID
06-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Looting primarily. With a currency collapse, infrastructure will suffer for at least a year or two. There will be a lot of shortages, primarily in food.

Learning to defend yourself and your property is important, but getting to know your neighbors and your areas is even more important.

Well I'll definitely get a gun then.

Nastynate
06-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I believe the streets of the big cities are going to be clogged with violence. I'm thinking of scenes from Liberia where gangs own certain areas of the city, kinda like police now a days but more violent and criminal. There is going to be a food problem and so many people are dependent on the government which are mostly in the bigger cities. I would try to move out in the boonies or a smaller town with a community, pick up some useful information about survival. An alternative way on getting energy, get some information on how to make your own wind power generators, get a ham radio, some heirloom seeds. And most importantly a gun. Just get educated in the important things which I'm sure you're not going to find at any school.

tangent4ronpaul
06-05-2011, 12:39 AM
It could be a lot like this:
http://www.friends-partners.org/bosnia/surintro.html
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/general-survival/19312-sarajevo-survival-guide.html

SARAJEVO SURVIVAL GUIDE intends to be a version of Michelin, taking visitors through the city and instructing them on how to survive without transportation, hotels, taxis, telephones, food, shops, heating, water, information, electricity. It is a chronicle, a part of a future archive which shows the city of Sarajevo not as a victim but as a place of experiment, where wit can still achieve victory over terror...

[...]

THE MODERN SARAJEVAN FEMALE
She cuts wood, carries humanitarian aid, smaller canisters filled with water, does not visit a hairdresser nor a cosmetician. She is slim, and runs fast. Girls regularly visit the places where humanitarian aid is being distributed. They know the best aid-packages according to their numbers. They get up early to get water, visit cemeteries to collect wood, and greet new young refugees. Many wear golden and silver lilies as earrings, as pins, on necklaces.

Sarajevo is a city of slender people...wearing youthful clothes of teenage size. Sarajevans have lost about [8 million pounds]...They greet each other with--TAKE CARE!

HABITATION
Those who were lucky still live in their apartments. Refugees and those whose apartments have been burned or destroyed by grenades inhabit the apartments of those who left Sarajevo before or during the war. Temporary leases or bills of sale are being issued. Some entered flats by breaking the doors and changing locks.
You can change apartments if one of your friends manages to leave town. Some people have two or three apartments. Depending on what each of them can offer: electricity, gas, water, or minimal security--they move from one apartment to another. Those who are looking for you will find you at the address where you collect humanitarian aid. Some are living in communes. Old families have disintegrated--new ones are being formed.

Windows are gone, destroyed by perpetual detonations. It was kind of pleasant during the summer--plastic came only with the first rains. People were fixing it to the window frames with wide tape used in factories for packing. Glue gave up under the rain and winds. Then people used nails. Whoever had no plastic--more than a precious item on the black market--would close the windows with cardboard boxes left behind from the humanitarian aid.

Some windows are protected by lumber brought from basements and roofs. Those homes are dark as graves...For the sake of security--merely psychological security--one closes windows with heavy cupboards, mattresses, books, carpets. Windows are dark after daylight is gone. People accumulate all their precious belongings in some corner of the apartment which they consider safest. Bathrooms, which somehow often happen to be in the center, are storage for paintings. Photographs, documents, jewelry, money, passports are in a bag next to the exit. In the bag are a few more items: zwieback [crackers], thermos, canned pate, and blankets.

INTERIOR SPACE
It is adapted to the potential sources of danger. Corridors and living rooms have been turned into wood sheds. Hosts and visitors sit around the stove, feed it and stare into the fire. Everything is within reach: books, tea cups, clothes, water, food. Everyone is ready to run onto the staircase at the sound of a grenade, or into the basement, if there is one.

In the basement everyone has a place, either one that was fought for or one that had to be accepted. This space is ruled by the laws of community. Basements and staircases are special territories.

In the beginning of the war, a new social category emerged: owners of staircases. They established office hours. Those who are idle write down the name of each visitor, the ID number, hours of arrival and of departure--all very precisely, in a little book. A real spy book, in fact, like the proof needed by a jealous husband or wife.

WATER
Water shortages may last for days, or weeks. The reasons are always the same--no electricity, or an act of terror. Then the search starts...Those who carry water do so, depending on their strength and the number of canisters, several times a day, traveling several kilometers, waiting in a line for at least three hours. The lucky ones are those with bicycles, which are pushed rather than driven. The same with the owners of baby carriages and former market carriages. Anything that rolls will do, for everything is easier than carrying the water by hand.

[...]

AceNZ
06-05-2011, 12:50 AM

I don't know the Ann Arbor area too well. As a place to start when trying to assess your local situation, I highly recommend the following article:

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/bracken-the-cw2-cube-mapping-the-meta-terrain-of-civil-war-two/

In particular, the CW2 cube is a valuable concept. The smaller the volume of the cube in your area, the less likely violence will be. If there is a large imbalance in your area, then the closer you are to the sides with overwhelming numbers, the safer you're likely to be.

http://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/cw2cube4.jpg?w=600&h=450

On the subject of buying a gun: if your funds are limited, I think you'll find food preps to be immensely more valuable. Imagine a one or two week period with almost no food in the stores. How is your gun going to help you? If you do decide to get a gun anyway, please take the time to learn to use it correctly -- both for your own safety and for those around you. Start by taking classes at a local shooting range. Start with a .22, and work your way up to larger calibers if appropriate.

Ricky201
06-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Learn Chinese.

Athan
06-05-2011, 01:56 AM
I have a hunch that it will be akin to what happened to Mexico around twenty years ago. One day, people will wake to see their savings wiped out. In mexico if you had 5000 pesos, they woke up to find they now had only 50 dollars. To what point it will unfold after that becomes a bit more scary since this is now on a global scale.

Teaser Rate
06-05-2011, 04:00 AM
I don't want to disappoint everyone who posted in this thread, but I really don't think we're on the verge of a total collapse.

My advice to the OP is to focus on finishing high school and going to a good college to get a useful degree and enjoy life without worrying about what doomsayers are predicting. People have been predicting the end of America since its founding and the end of the World since the beginning of time and they've always been proven wrong.

t0rnado
06-05-2011, 04:12 AM
I don't want to disappoint everyone who posted in this thread, but I really don't think we're on the verge of a total collapse.

My advice to the OP is to focus on finishing high school and going to a good college to get a useful degree and enjoy life without worrying about what doomsayers are predicting. People have been predicting the end of America since its founding and the end of the World since the beginning of time and they've always been proven wrong.

Economic facts point to a financial collapse. No one in this thread is suggesting that "America" will end or that the world will end and the people who have continuously predicted both in the past have done so without facts. If you sincerely think this way, I hope you starve in a few years.

Teaser Rate
06-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Economic facts point to a financial collapse. No one in this thread is suggesting that "America" will end or that the world will end and the people who have continuously predicted both in the past have done so without facts. If you sincerely think this way, I hope you starve in a few years.

Many Austrians, Ron Paul included have predicted imminent economic disaster caused by a monetary collapse many times through the years without any ever getting it right. I have my doubts that they're going to be right this time.

YumYum
06-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Many Austrians, Ron Paul included have predicted imminent economic disaster caused by a monetary collapse many times through the years without any ever getting it right. I have my doubts that they're going to be right this time.

I don't think the collapse will hit overnight with strikeable observableness. In fact, I believe the collapse has already begun, and people are not aware. It took some time for the Titanic to sink after it hit the iceberg; it didn't go down immediately.

pcosmar
06-05-2011, 04:34 AM

And yet there has been a great depression (and a couple of smaller ones) and Hyperinflation HAS happened elsewhere and is very likely here at the rate we are going.
I have to ask again, Why are you here?

You tend to post in opposition to Ron Paul, and his known positions.
Are you trolling for Lulz??

cindy25
06-05-2011, 04:39 AM
first of all, if there is a collapse of the currency debt is a good thing as it will be wiped out.
knowledge will be power, esp practical knowledge. such as 1964 dimes are silver, 1965 are not.
and not everyone does badly in a collapse; the Chinese symbol for crisis is danger + opportunity.
many people prospered during panics; even in the Weimar republic inflation some prospered.

worst case scenario is best told here:
http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307270051&sr=8-1

A Son of Liberty
06-05-2011, 05:49 AM

lol that's the definition of Normalcy Bias, right there. :D

A Son of Liberty
06-05-2011, 06:13 AM
No one *knows* what is going to happen. Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe things will proceed as they have been for the past 30 or 40 years (that's the majority of people's "forever"... hi Teaser Rate lol). Or maybe America will begin to take a lesser role in the world, similar to the way Great Britain lost her position as the global power. Or maybe there's something to the warnings we hear from the austrian school, et al.

My take is this - I've bought some non-perishable food items and stored them, for a rainy day. I've always owned a gun. I'm in a small town, but it's a college town, so I've got a piece of land under contract - I've always wanted to live out in the country, anyway. I've also bought some silver and a (very) little gold (because I'm not really wealthy ;) ). These are things that my grandparents used to do as a matter of course - to be prepared for that rainy day, if it ever comes. If it doesn't, what am I out? Nothing, really.

However, if things do get to the condition that some austrians are saying (and they do not speak with one voice on this, and most of the *apocalyptic* prognosticators aren't austrians, I think they will get *really* bad. Here's why:

"Just-in-time" grocery store restocking. I've made a real effort to discover ways to get my food locally. Most importantly because that food is produced by people you (may) know, under conditions you (may) observe. And the processed foods that account for the majority of food stocked in grocery stores and Wal-Mart have some unhealthy qualities. Additionally, however, I don't want to rely on a system that is dependent upon cheap oil and low prices for my food. I've also started a small garden, and once on the land will expand that and perhaps get into some limited husbandry. Not only is it more reliable, it's also very satisfying, personally.

Diminished sense of community. Especially in large cities, but even in some of our smaller cities and towns. People used to know - and *wanted* to know - and interact with many more people than it seems we do now. The circle of community has really shrunk over the years, at least by my perception. That means there are more people who have an excuse to not care about what happens to me and mine, or about taking from me and mine.

Diminished practical skill sets. During the great depression, something like 40%-50% of Americans were farmers. Today, I think it's less than 10%. Many other people had practical skills that could help them in tough times. Today, if it breaks, we throw it out and buy something new. Tomorrow, that may not be an option.

Reliance on modern convenience and "pleasures". Ever notice how people get angry when the cable goes out? People don't know how to entertain themselves anymore, with out plugging something in.

Growth of government and the soft-police-state. Dependency and "law and order". Need I say more?

I'm sure there's more I could add to the list, but if I were a young person such as yourself in this environment, I'd be careful about what I do after graduation. Someone mentioned doing something that makes you happy, and I think that's good advice, but be careful with it. I went to college and got a degree in history. Useless. I would have been better served going straight into construction, and studying history as a hobby. We aren't only what we do for a job. If you like living in a college town like Ann Arbor, stay, but see about making arrangements outside of town, just in case. Again, being prepared is never a bad thing - those who try to make you think so are just insecure about their position in life. Own a firearm - it's your duty to provide protection for yourself and your family. It's not crazy to own a gun.

Good luck, kid. And don't worry, or be *afraid*... be prepared. ;)

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-05-2011, 06:19 AM
The Titantic was a good analogy and there was some time that elapsed before outright chaos. Recognize you are on a sinking ship. If you are in first class... by all means finish your dinner and drinks because there is still plenty of time to get on a life boat. However if you are in third class... additional preparations such as personal defense, a small supply of dehydrated or canned food, your own garden of anything that you can grow to use for barter, a small stash of intrinsic coin, keeping an extra few gallons of fuel on hand, etc. could turn out to be very wise planning. As a third class passenger I am not expecting access to any life boats.

Emergency preparation is about mitigating risk. The higher the risk of an emergency... the more you invest to mitigate it. Considering there is more than a minimal risk of emergency... emergency investment ought to be more than minimal.

Theocrat
06-05-2011, 09:22 AM

No, do both. Keep doing your homework, and buy a gun, too.

But you also need to realize that the collapse is happening right now. Just look around you. It's not only an economic collapse that is going on, but there is also a moral/spiritual collapse which is taking place in our country. It's sad, but true. America needs another "Great Awakening."

enoch150
06-05-2011, 10:42 AM
The economic stagnation we're in could possibly last a long time before the collapse. The collapse may be in a year or in a decade. There's no way to know. You have to remember what kind of collapse we're talking about. Fiat money, credit and debt, and federal government edicts all only exist because people have faith and trust in them. It is in those things that the crisis will occur. Who can predict exactly when people will lose faith? But the capital infrastructure - buildings, utilities, roads, cars, computers, oil fields, farms, etc. - will all still exist after the collapse and that means the recovery can occur with astonishing speed. Maybe a few weeks. Perhaps some of those things will change hands at distressed prices. You want to be in a position to acquire those things.

Ann Arbor is a low crime city, but with 115,000 people, a gun couldn't hurt.
http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Ann+Arbor&state=MI

Knowledge will also still exist after the collapse. If you go to college either before or after, major in a hard science. If you don't go to college, learn as much as you can from the internet. And read this first. http://ww2.dowtheoryletters.com/dtlol.nsf/htmlmedia/body_rich_man__poor_man.html