PDA

View Full Version : how would the government get revenue without the income tax?

FortisKID
06-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Would there still be a sales tax? Tariffs? I'm kinda confused :(

rolle
06-04-2011, 07:00 PM
They wouldn't.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAAHAHA!

sailingaway
User fees and some tariffs, but wait here and I'll get you a video so Ron Paul can explain it to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Bfz4qf_rA

Note that he later corrected the statement to say that it would leave the govt with the same amount it had in the late 1990s, not 2000.

FortisKID
They wouldn't.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAAHAHA!

Anarchy then? :o

pcosmar
06-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Look into how the Government was funded before Income Tax.

Before that can be done the size and scope of government would have to be radically cut.
That would be a good thing.

ClayTrainor
06-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Please :)

"I define anarchist society as one where there is no legal possibility for coercive aggression against the person or property of any individual." - Rothbard

freshjiva
National government would get its revenues from small import tariffs and user fees. It's the same way the federal government funded itself for 137 years.

State governments, however, raise the bulk of tax revenues needed to provide things like education, roads, bridges, police/fire departments, etc, from sales and property taxes. A true libertarian society, however, wouldn't even have State governments involved in these things, but that is really up to the People of the States to decide.

libertybrewcity

A minor sales tax or just fees and tariffs. The states can take on the role of many functions of the federal government or just leave them to the people.

AceNZ
06-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Why does it have to be taxation at all? How about by voluntary contributions?

Travlyr
06-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Do income taxes even go to the Treasury? It has been my understanding that income taxes pay the debt... not pay for services. I'm not sure about it, does anyone know for sure?

sailingaway
06-04-2011, 07:27 PM
They say they were created to cover the interest to the federal reserve on the money it creates that has value only from diluting our money already in circulation. I never ran the math, myself.

Thomas
06-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Do income taxes even go to the Treasury? It has been my understanding that income taxes pay the debt... not pay for services. I'm not sure about it, does anyone know for sure?

I heard years ago that the income tax pays the interest on the national debt, but I doubt that is true now.

Zippyjuan
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Income taxes (not counting other payroll taxaes like Social Security or the like) collected come to about $1.3 trillion a year. In the 2010 budget, interest on the debt was $169 billion so only about ten percent of income taxes go towards interest on the debt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_federal_budget

heavenlyboy34
06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Why does it have to be taxation at all? How about by voluntary contributions?
This ^^ The government (the IRS specifically) already has a system for voluntary donations to the treasury. Those who believe the gov'ment needs more money could simply donate.

Cleaner44
06-05-2011, 10:42 AM
There are plenty of taxes besides our federal income tax... just look at any phone bill.

nobody's_hero
06-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Research "taxation by apportionment." The Federal government used to have to essentially beg the states for tax revenue. Ever since the 16th amendment passed, the Feds just grab it straight from the people's paychecks, and then they beat the shit out of the states with grant money ('slave money').

Carson
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
They could start paying their fair share of capital gains taxes when they create money out of thin air?

osan
06-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Please :)

"I define anarchist society as one where there is no legal possibility for coercive aggression against the person or property of any individual." - Rothbard

Yet there is still governance.