PDA

View Full Version : MI - Woman Says Michigan Police Shot Her Innocent Dog

Anti Federalist
06-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Tell me, AndrewD, was this woman's day made better, or worse, by calling 911 and Officer Friendly?

Woman Says Michigan Police Shot Her Innocent Dog

June 4, 2011

http://www.officer.com/news/10279314/woman-says-michigan-police-shot-her-innocent-dog

PONTIAC, Mich. -- A Pontiac woman said police shot her dog in an attempt to stop another dog from attacking it.

Rebecca Model said her 6-year-old mixed-breed dog, Ginger, was being attacked by a pit bull that Pontiac police got involved and fired a shot, hitting her dog instead of the pit bull.

Model said she had to have Ginger euthanized due to the gunshot wound.

The pit bull, which belongs to Model's daughter and boyfriend who were visiting from Missouri, bit Model in the leg and tried to attack her fiance, Model said.

"I told them to take the dog across the street ... I didn't want it around here," Model said. "It was known to attack people."

She said police were called after the dog attacked her. When officers arrived, the pit bull was loose and attacking Ginger. Model said that's when they fired a shot, hitting Ginger.

"They went to shoot the (pit bull), completely missed it and shot mine," Model said. "She was a gigantic part of my family, and it is sad that she is not here."

Pontiac police said they did not intend to shoot Model's dog and that it was an awful accident.

The pit bull was at the Oakland County Animal Shelter

aGameOfThrones
06-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Yup. She shouldn't have called them.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Just another good reason to remember... DO NOT CALL THE POLICE!

pcosmar
06-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Jeeze.
I am a dog owner. I have owned many over the years, and cared for other peoples from time to time.(dog sitting)
I have owned a Pit, and a Rott. Currently have a Rott mix.
I've known Shepherds, Dobbies and Akita's. Nice dogs all.

I have several dogs, three currently. Dogs fight sometimes (fact of life) and it is not and never is a police matter.
Break them up. separate them. If you get bit, get medical attention.
I have broken up countless dog fights and have never been bit doing so.But it could happen.
My little bitty wife breaks up fights.

What the hell is wrong with people that they think calling police and waiting for them to arrive is a good idea?

AGRP
06-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe if she had her own gun...

pcosmar
06-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Maybe if she had her own gun...

Maybe if she owned a damn broom. and knew how to use it.
:(

VIDEODROME
06-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Maybe if she owned a damn broom. and knew how to use it.
:(

Seriously couldn't the cop use his baton? Or don't many of them also have Mace?

Kylie
06-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Pick both dogs up by the sides of their heads. That takes them out of fight mode(usually). If they are big dogs take two or more people with you and prepare to be bitten.

I am a 100 lb. woman who has been breaking up dog fights since I was 5. I'm not scared to get bit, and if that lady would have been like me, her dog would still be alive.

I mean really, just what was the cop supposed to do? I don't think the fault lies with the cop this time.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I mean really, just what was the cop supposed to do? I don't think the fault lies with the cop this time.

I suppose not, he was just following his training, shoot enough until the situation is under control.

Just making the point, once again, that if you think the situation will not be improved by having someone show up and start thumping heads, tasering or shooting things indiscriminately, don't call the cops.

Kylie
06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
That's what I was getting at. Take some responsibilty for your property. If the boyfriend brought the dog, why didn't he break up the fight? where is his culpability in this situatuion?

Train your dogs. And thenwork them so they don't forget. Don't call the cops for a dog fight ya puss. If you're afraid of getting bit by your dog, then you shouldn't own the dog.