PDA

View Full Version : NFL LB Ray Lewis Warns of Crime Wave if NFL Season is Canceled

bobbyw24
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
“What we’re going through right now, we’re affecting way more than us,” he said. “Too many people live through us. People live through us. Walk in the streets the way I walk in the streets.”

And according to Lewis, one of the major results of lockout would be an increase of evil, which he says will come in the form of more crime.

“Do this research if we don’t have a season — watch how much evil, which we call crime — watch how much crime picks up if you take away our game.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/05/23/ravens-linebacker-ray-lewis-warns-of-crime-wave-if-2011-nfl-season-is-locked-out/#ixzz1OKjaUw3v

Kotin
06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Lol wtf?

malkusm
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Ray Lewis doesn't have a filter when he talks to media....being a Ravens fan, I know this firsthand.

bobbyw24
06-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Tina Julian, a 33-year-old nurse in San Diego, says she may not be able to afford child care if National Football League owners and players can’t agree how to share more than $9 billion in annual revenue.

Julian’s concern stems from the child support she gets from her 2-year-old son’s father, New York Jets defensive back Antonio Cromartie, who might be without a paycheck if a new labor contract isn’t reached.

“The money I get from him is definitely important,” Julian said, declining to divulge how much she gets monthly from Cromartie, a free agent who was paid $1.7 million last season. “Something would have to change.”

Cromartie, who according to the New York Post has nine children from eight women, is among the players who may be without work because of the NFL’s inability to reach a collective bargaining agreement with its union. National Basketball Association players may face a similar situation when their contract expires in two months.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-09/nfl-players-poised-to-cut-alimony-making-wives-industry-dispute-victims.html

malkusm
06-04-2011, 12:35 PM
That said, I think he might have a point. A lot of people hold football in the highest order of their existence and would have a lot of free time on their hands without it....

Nate-ForLiberty
06-04-2011, 12:36 PM
i really hope they shut down. that would be awesome!

bobbyw24
06-04-2011, 12:37 PM

I know--people could do things like read books on Sunday afternoon.

BTW--when does Big Brother 12 start again?

Kotin
06-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Same here.. That would fuckin' hilarious..

Ekrub
06-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Why would that be awesome? I don't understand the attitude from some here that if you enjoy watching sporting events or a television program you are a brainwashed idiot. I happen to like watching football and find it a nice release from the stresses of the every day world. is there something wrong with me enjoying some of the freedoms that I currently have?

bobbyw24
06-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Why would that be awesome? I don't understand the attitude from some here that if you enjoy watching sporting events or a television program you are a brainwashed idiot. I happen to like watching football and find it a nice release from the stresses of the every day world. is there something wrong with me enjoying some of the freedoms that I currently have?

True--there are many people who enjoy sports or reality T.V. as a distraction without being clueless on issues of real import.

MelissaWV
06-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I was going to bark back at them, too, but then I realized that I'd still have college football :p

I just don't watch much NFL. There's a lot of stupidity going on with the rules and the salaries and it becoming more and more about the business than the game. That's their right, but it's also their right to be little children about it and bicker all through a season, and it's also our right to entertain ourselves elsewise.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I was going to bark back at them, too, but then I realized that I'd still have college football :p

I just don't watch much NFL. There's a lot of stupidity going on with the rules and the salaries and it becoming more and more about the business than the game. That's their right, but it's also their right to be little children about it and bicker all through a season, and it's also our right to entertain ourselves elsewise.

I don't understand people getting miffed at other people for being pleased that something as ridiculous as pro football would shut itself down. We're not talking about a government shutdown of all things NFL. For the record, that would be wrong, and I'd oppose it.

Bryan
06-04-2011, 01:03 PM

There is nothing wrong with it. However, it, along with a host of other "main stream" activities do get in the cross-hairs of liberty activists since these are the things that play a role in distracting people from the big problems going down in this country.

Everything in fine balance--- which America on a whole seems to be lacking. YMMV.

bobbyw24
06-04-2011, 01:15 PM
People often hear me lamenting the fact that many Americans will complain and get extremely angry over paying a $3 ATM fee to “get their own money,” but those same people will not write their representatives in Washington to complain about the income tax or the inflation tax or big bank bailouts.

I try to get the average citizen to get as excited about the political process and contacting Congress as he or she would about watching the Gators or Bulldogs play.

The former could have a real impact in their lives. while the latter is just entertainment. “Change” was the big word last election, but how many people really get involved to try to effectuate change in D.C.?

awake
06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Cancel the bread and circuses? I think not.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Didn't Lewis murder somebody in Atlanta?

malkusm
06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Didn't Lewis murder somebody in Atlanta?

No.

(Edit: Well, I don't claim to know all things, but there's evidence that while he was in the immediate vicinity at the time, he was not the perpetrator....a case of the DA attempting to make a name for himself by going after the high-profile person.)

speciallyblend
06-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Collega Football is better anyway more action and mistakes and scoring!! shuter down;)

Ekrub
06-04-2011, 04:10 PM
BCS ruins college football, but college basketball is the best sport of them all. Gonzaga is the shit

KurtBoyer25L
06-04-2011, 04:14 PM

I have a lifelong interest/involvement in football & I'm taking a similar attitude into it. I have my team allegiances of course & my Dad loves the NFL so I hope it's not gone long. But if in the short term they sit out & there's more interest in prep/college football, GREAT. Prep teams & smaller-version college programs deserve more attention. Frankly, it's boring to watch people play for money. The teams in the NFL all run basically the same plays. Hire the same coaches. It's homogenous and often boring. I'm much more stimulated intellectually watching Boise State or my local high school games.

BamaAla
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM

+1

I enjoy watching the NFL (Titans :eek:) I also watch MLB, play fantasy sports, go to Bama's home games, and watch Dancing With the Stars. I also find the time to work, spend time with my family, read interesting books, participate in this forum, go to events like CPAC and SRLC, keep abreast of the news, and support/promote Ron Paul. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive people; I can have fun too you know!

KurtBoyer25L
06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
& as for Ray Lewis I can only assume he's talking about the repercussions of the void in gambling/mafia activity that would occur.

PreDeadMan
06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I personally don't care if it gets shut down or not I hope if it does people will invest their time better than turning on a brainwash tube maybe they will learn the ideas of liberty.... read some books lol... hey I can dream! =p

BlackTerrel
06-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I doubt he's right. I mean has anyone done a study showing crime goes up during the 7 months when we don't have football?

That said he's just a guy with an opinion. So be it. The media always criticizes athletes for never giving an opinion and then when they do their criticized. That's his view - so be it.

BlackTerrel
06-04-2011, 04:51 PM
True--there are many people who enjoy sports or reality T.V. as a distraction without being clueless on issues of real import.

What is real import? That's subjective.

We have a finite time on this earth and we do the best we can. Some enjoy football - others enjoy books. So be it.

I'd argue that for a lot of people watching football is a lot more entertaining than dancing at the Jefferson memorial. But I'd prefer to have the right to do both.

MelissaWV
06-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I personally don't care if it gets shut down or not I hope if it does people will invest their time better than turning on a brainwash tube maybe they will learn the ideas of liberty.... read some books lol... hey I can dream! =p

Will we have time to learn about punctuation and sentences that never seem to end?

This might shock you, but a great number of people can manage to watch football AND read AND understand the fundamentals of liberty, not to mention carry on an intelligent debate about all three of the aforementioned. Those that aren't in that camp are unlikely to suddenly go and start up a new habit that they never before entertained. It's much more likely that they will be more feverishly involved in NCAA sports, or maybe in some other televised event that captures their interest.

dude58677
06-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Yea, Winter Olympic sports are as much part of my life as Ron Paul. I go to Lake Placid and get luge lessons as well as get passenger bobsled rides from professional drivers. I am also part of my local curling club and have been for 4 years. I did go see the Vancouver Olympics. This all began when I watched the Torino Olympics.

amy31416
06-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Honestly, work and education kept me clueless about things for quite a while. Always had my nose in a book or was living in a lab.

It's not just football and other "lowly" interests that distract.

Danke
06-04-2011, 08:05 PM
The NFL ain't got nothing on Curling. Those athletes are way under paid.

Can you imagine the Canadian crime rate if Curling was canceled?

speciallyblend
06-04-2011, 08:13 PM
no worries folks marijuana will save baltimore! All will be well;) who the hell needs the nfl anyway? We have the SEC;)

mtj458
06-04-2011, 09:47 PM
It's disappointing to see some of you cheer the NFL ending. The whole point of liberty is having the freedom to live your life to the fullest. I'd rather put up with some government bs and be able to enjoy football than be able to have "freedom" and nothing fun to spend my free time on. Important things are subjective, but I'd hope we can all agree that having some fun should be important to us all.