PDA

View Full Version : Why does the campaign not post a live total of contributions?

kylejack
06-03-2011, 05:39 PM
That was one of the coolest things from the 2008 campaign. It was pretty cutting-edge, at the time. It also encouraged people to do miniature moneybombs (like: I'm mad about this nasty article about Ron. Let's all match each other for $20 contributions right now).

Why wouldn't they do this again?

I understand they're doing it for moneybombs, but it should be full-time.

mport1
06-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I completely agree. The donation counter should always be up.

notsure
06-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Yea. I liked it too. It gave us a goal to work toward. I think I heard rumors that the FEC said it was illegal during the Rand campaign? I don't know, I think that's what I heard people saying, don't take my word for it.
Maybe they have so much money coming in that they don't want to discourage others to donate? I don't know, it could be beneficial either way. I do favor that "real-time" ticker though.

SWATH
06-03-2011, 06:07 PM
No need to do a victory lap and incite the competition. The totals are instead dumped at sea within 24 hours of receiving them, of which only Ron Paul himself has seen.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Why tell our rivals who much money we have until the FEC forces us to?

notsure
06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Bump

And
Funny.>>

No need to do a victory lap and incite the competition. The totals are instead dumped at sea within 24 hours of receiving them, of which only Ron Paul himself has seen.

kylejack
06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Why tell our rivals who much money we have until the FEC forces us to?
Because the fundraising effect of a live total is more important than keeping secret how much we have. Our enemies know we will have money. We raised, what, several tens of millions last cycle.

Bryan
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
That was one of the coolest things from the 2008 campaign. It was pretty cutting-edge, at the time. It also encouraged people to do miniature moneybombs (like: I'm mad about this nasty article about Ron. Let's all match each other for $20 contributions right now).
From what Gage says, the FEC launched an investigation against Rand for doing this, for some unknown reason.

That said, I totally forgot about the donations as punishment for the bad media spin- it's great psychology.