PDA

View Full Version : PAC questions

TaildraggerDan
10-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi, everyone,

First of all, thanks again to all who donated to my project to fly a banner at the Chicago Anti-war rally last Saturday! I didn't make it downtown in time to see it myself (1.5 hour drive from the airport - I helped set up and launch the banner), but everyone I talked to said it looked great and delivered the right message (END THE WAR NOW! RON PAUL 4 PRESIDENT).

If anyone is familiar with the dollar limits and requirements and such for the formation of a PAC, please respond here. I collected over $1000 for this first banner, and I'm going to have a massive 30'x80' flying billboard made as well. The money for the this week's banner all went through an account in my name. I want to make sure I don't exceed any dollar limitations for grassroots efforts in violation of election rules. If we need to start a PAC in order to keep flying banners I need to know that before I collect any more donations. I'm not sure what else to add, since this is all new to me, but thanks in advance for your replies.

"Taildragger" Dan

jgmaynard
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
It's is mainly a state issue, and you will have to register with the IRS (boooooooooooo hiiiisssssssss) as well...

Start with your state's SOS office - they will give you forms to get your PAC registered with the state. Then you will be able to open up a PAC bank account. When you do that, at the bank of your choice, they will help you register with the IRS (boooooooooooo hisssss). You will likely also have to talk to the Justice Dept - not a biggy there, took me about 20 mins the only time I've done it and you'll likely make the call from the bank, who will help to make things smoother with them.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

JM

TaildraggerDan
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Yep, that helps - thanks, JM!

TD