PDA

View Full Version : Politico: Redistricting Swipes Ron Paul

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Redistricting swipes Ron Paul http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56171.html

So it isn't just a little local paper that thinks so.....

Anyone from Texas want to call in and express concerns about losing your Congressman?

Mahkato
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Targeted Kucinich too, eh?

nobody's_hero
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, that settles it. Ron Paul has to win the presidency. If he gets bumped out of that Congressional seat as a result of redistricting, I think he'll probably retire from politics.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
There's no way they could redistrict him out of his seat if he fights it. He isn't even addressing it. He polled tied to first for SENATE in Texas, and wasn't even running. Maybe he figures this isn't a problem, maybe he thinks fighting it is the wrong fight in a presidential campaign. But if he didn't like it, I would think he could get word to supporters easily enough, and they'd address it.

I mean, think about it. The person who pushed the redistricting would never be elected to anything again. We hold grudges.

Travlyr
06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
There's no way they could redistrict him out of his seat if he fights it. He isn't even addressing it. He polled tied to first for SENATE in Texas, and wasn't even running. Maybe he figures this isn't a problem, maybe he thinks fighting it is the wrong fight in a presidential campaign. But if he didn't like it, I would think he could get word to supporters easily enough, and they'd address it.

I mean, think about it. The person who pushed the redistricting would never be elected to anything again. We hold grudges.

I doubt he would fight it. Ron has done his work.

This would be the Republican leadership allowing or even orchestrating this redistricting. Ron could switch to the Democratic party to win his district, but why?

If Ron Paul does not win the Republican nomination for president, then I hope he kicks back and enjoys some well deserved time off.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't expect HIM to fight it, but I think a bunch of his supporters may care more than he does. I think at 75 he could maybe go either way and be ok with it, but he just got his committee, and even if he doesn't win the White House, having him on that committee only two years isn't good enough for AMERICA.

But, yeah, he's earned some time to garden with his grand kids if he feels like it, and Rand being in the Senate probably makes it easier for him to let someone else carry it, if it turns out that way. Think about it, he was a huge part behind the change that got those House freshmen in, and Rand and Lee... not a bad job, right there.

Aratus
06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
lets keep a
seasoned
eye on this

Lucille
06-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Lew:

Texas Republican Establishment Seeks To Punish Ron Paul (http://www.lewrockwell.com/politicaltheatre/2011/06/texas-republican-establishment-targeting-ron-paul/)

The latest proposed redistricting scheme is clearly aimed at Ron. The creeps can’t stand his independence, nor his separate, intense, and widespread base of support. He’s not a member of the hive. And as always, the war maniacs and police statists hate dissent.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Hm. Well, Lew is close enough, maybe. What shall we do about it?

Travlyr
06-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Hm. Well, Lew is close enough, maybe. What shall we do about it?

March onward and forward... take back our liberty ... stop the aggressors ... legalize honest money at the state levels and take back our prosperity.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Meh, we can make a stink without breaking stride towards liberty and stopping the aggressors. In fact it would seem this diversion was in line with stopping the aggressors....

Travlyr
06-03-2011, 11:00 AM
True enough. I would support those efforts.

Yet, I'm not much into the political process. Fixing the economic cancer is not likely to be achieved through the political process, imo.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I think a bunch of Texans making it clear they would be pissed with the process and unhappy with the GOP in the new districts for doing it might cause them pause. Our people are pretty independent. But I'd have to leave it to Texas to take the lead and let us know how to help.

Arklatex
06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Who do I call to complain too? Someone provide the #s and email addresses!

jkr
06-03-2011, 11:43 AM
him AND kucinich...well, looks like prez or bust!

Travlyr
06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
And this should be a real wake-up call to whoever still thinks that there is a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats. The Republican leadership WANTS a Democrat to win Ron Paul's district.

Again, the Republicans WANT the Democrat to WIN so they can get a rubber stamper elected.

t0rnado
06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Send Senate Redistricting Commitee Chair Kel Seliger an email using the contact form on his site:

http://www.seliger.senate.state.tx.us/

or

Give him a call: (512) 463-0131

He was directly responsible for this current map.

Imperial
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
And this should be a real wake-up call to whoever still thinks that there is a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats. The Republican leadership WANTS a Democrat to win Ron Paul's district.

Again, the Republicans WANT the Democrat to WIN so they can get a rubber stamper elected.

The district is safe Republican, they just gave Paul a ton of new constituents so that they are not as tied to him.

steph3n
06-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't think there is much to worry about. I wouldn't get up in arms about this matter really.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't think there is much to worry about. I wouldn't get up in arms about this matter really.

Well, I wouldn't want to do it unthinking... I mean I can see why democrats might want to stir up trouble, the GOP is controlling this redistricting and getting new seats. In Illinois, the Dems are doing the reverse. I think we need to find out if it hurts Ron, but letting people know we are interested shouldn't be too bad.

Getting two new GOP seats in the nature of Perry in Texas and losing Ron Paul would be a severe net loss.

RP Supporter
06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
They've tried this before. Given Ron's support, if he was even in a mildly competitive race the grassroots would fund him and outraise his opponents 100 to 1. The only way I could see Paul lose his seat is if they put him in a strongly Democratic district that votes only for Democrats, and that does not seem to be the case here. Keep in mind Paul's current district is the most Republican in the nation, so even if he gets a more Democratic seat, it may just cut down his margins but still be a safe seat for him.

This could be an opportunity though. Maybe Medina or Robert Paul live in one of the new districts that will be created, and might run for congress. Or one of them can take Paul's current seat if he's given a promotion next year. :)

White Bear Lake
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
So they're splitting Paul's supporters into two or more districts? Alright! Let's just elect libertarians in both districts!

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 03:20 PM
They've tried this before. Given Ron's support, if he was even in a mildly competitive race the grassroots would fund him and outraise his opponents 100 to 1. The only way I could see Paul lose his seat is if they put him in a strongly Democratic district that votes only for Democrats, and that does not seem to be the case here. Keep in mind Paul's current district is the most Republican in the nation, so even if he gets a more Democratic seat, it may just cut down his margins but still be a safe seat for him.

This could be an opportunity though. Maybe Medina or Robert Paul live in one of the new districts that will be created, and might run for congress. Or one of them can take Paul's current seat if he's given a promotion next year. :)

Ron's risks are in the PRIMARY against other GOP, not in the general. I'm more concerned with a neocon district than a democratic one. I agree I don't want to assume it is bad, and it might be an opportunity. However, if it is bad, I hope we find out and mobilize while it can still be shot down.

gls
06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Ron's risks are in the PRIMARY against other GOP, not in the general.

I think they'd have to bring in a real heavy-hitter to even be competitive against Ron in the primary. I remember in 2008 he ran against some city councilman (Pedan?) and won with over 70% of the vote.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
That was in his current district. This would be a newly drawn one. I hope the result would be the same. It cuts my Dad out of his district, which Dad won't like, though.

Working Poor
06-03-2011, 04:03 PM
The comments on the article are very positive for the most part.

Feeding the Abscess
06-03-2011, 04:24 PM
So they're splitting Paul's supporters into two or more districts? Alright! Let's just elect libertarians in both districts!

Any bets on whether Donderooooooooooo tries to run for that district? lol

White Bear Lake
06-03-2011, 06:24 PM
No clue. I'm not too familiar with Texas and Texas politics.

Sentient Void
06-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Ron Paul was the spark that lit all of our torches. We are spreading our light. It cannot be stopped.

Redistricting Ron Paul's area will accomplish nothing in putting out the spreading fires of liberty.

Also, there are clearly many liberty-lovers in RP's district... and just the fact that he was tied for first for Senate in TX shows that there are many true liberty lovers there as well, or at least many very interesting in liberty.

Any districts that overlap RP's, or RP's district being split up just means there are that many more districts where we could convince real RP supporters who supported him representative to run in the new districts.

We could turn lemons totally into lemonade on this.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Ron Paul was the spark that lit all of our torches. We are spreading our light. It cannot be stopped.

Redistricting Ron Paul's area will accomplish nothing in putting out the spreading fires of liberty.

Also, there are clearly many liberty-lovers in RP's district... and just the fact that he was tied for first for Senate in TX shows that there are many true liberty lovers there as well, or at least many very interesting in liberty.

Any districts that overlap RP's, or RP's district being split up just means there are that many more districts where we could convince real RP supporters who supported him representative to run in the new districts.

We could turn lemons totally into lemonade on this.

Yeah. And should.

And did you see Ron's response? Priceless!

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Here's what his response was:

Update, 3:45 p.m.: We've heard back from Ron Paul's spokesman. Jesse Benton said the longtime congressman takes no offense at the redistricting proposal, which would lower the GOP performance of the district considerably.

"Dr. Paul does not feel targeted, and his home county of Brazoria remains the cornerstone of the District," Benton said. "If anything, this is a compliment. The GOP knows Dr. Paul will win anywhere he runs, and that his electoral fortitude allows them to strengthen other districts and have no problems holding the 14th."

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-redistricting/redistricting/updated-ron-paul-says-map-changes-dont-bother-him/

Sentient Void
06-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah. And should.

And did you see Ron's response? Priceless!

lol no, linky link?

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 09:56 PM
lol no, linky link?

I just posted it, above.

Sentient Void
06-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I just posted it, above.

fuck me I'm an idiot.

Ty

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-03-2011, 10:14 PM
They should be ashamed of themselves.

Imperial
06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I think they'd have to bring in a real heavy-hitter to even be competitive against Ron in the primary. I remember in 2008 he ran against some city councilman (Pedan?) and won with over 70% of the vote.

Chris Peden. The risk here is that it won't be a local councilman but a State Rep or State Senator (which represent about as much area as Congressmen. Really the two big threats are State Senator Mike Jackson (who, fwiw, scored highest on the TX LP ratings in the State Senate this session) and State Rep Larry Taylor, who is important in the House Republican caucus.

It is still solid Republican; it is the primary the establishment is looking for. If Dr. Paul is planning to simultaneously run for re-election and President, he needs to get to the state legislature to negotiate to keep a few more of his old voters (he has not visited in three sessions, including this one)