PDA

View Full Version : New Texas GOP Map Targets Ron Paul?

bobbyw24
06-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Updated, 9:08 p.m.

Tea Party godfather Ron Paul, a 2008 and 2012 Republican presidential hopeful, would see his congressional district transformed in a new GOP map proposed Thursday night by Senate Redistricting Committee Chair Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo.
http://static.texastribune.org/media/images/PLANC130_jpg_312x1000_q100.jpg

District 14 would pick up about 300,000 new voters, including all of Jefferson County — where the city of Beaumont is located — and a bigger slice of Galveston County. The percentage of his voting-age constituents who are Anglo would drop from 61 percent in his current district to 57 percent in his new one, while the percentage of African Americans and Hispanics would increase from 35 percent to 39 percent.

Democratic operative Jeff Crosby believes the change is intended to target Paul, who has drawn a cult-like following among conservative activists but is not such a darling in the Texas Republican political establishment. While other congressmen have beaten a path to the Texas Capitol to give their two-cents (and more) about what their districts should look like, Paul has not been lobbying lawmakers.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-redistricting/redistricting/updated-new-gop-map-targets-ron-paul/

bobbyw24
06-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Someone from Texas at The Daily Paul wrote:

Dr. Paul isn't in ANY danger. is district has moved east, in MAJOR conservaite / libertarian territory. He'll bump Ted Poe further north, but neither of them is in any danger of not being re-elected, if they run.

What do Texans here think?

johnrocks
06-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I think that the fear of the unknown concerns me.

Cowlesy
06-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Doesn't he still win about 80/20? Even if his district received an additional 5% block of minorities, and let's assume they vote 90% democrat, it still isn't going to make a difference.

sailingaway
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I wish someone who knows what they are thinking in his office would give us a hint. I have to run, but I'm going to post this at DP and see what they think. (I posted it here yesterday but basically no one said anything.)

--
edit, nevermind, already been done....

CoreyBowen999
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I severely disagree. I live here in north houston and I know for a fact that the more you include Beaumont, the way more democratic you get. I believe this to be a significant challenge

bobbyw24
06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
(I posted it here yesterday but basically no one said anything.)

Sorry bout that--I missed it.

And I put it on the Front Page of the Daily Paul