PDA

View Full Version : Obama Solicitor General: If You Don’t Like the Mandate, Make Less Money

tangent4ronpaul
06-03-2011, 05:33 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/268709/obama-solicitor-general-if-you-dont-mandate-make-less-money-daniel-foster

Great catch from the oral arguments in the Obamacare challenge just heard by the Sixth Circuit:

[...]

“If we’re going to play that game, I think that game can be played here as well, because after all, the minimum coverage provision only kicks in after people have earned a minimum amount of income,” Kaytal said. “So it’s a penalty on earning a certain amount of income and self insuring. It’s not just on self insuring on its own. So I guess one could say, just as the restaurant owner could depart the market in Heart of Atlanta Hotel, someone doesn’t need to earn that much income. I think both are kind of fanciful and I think get at…”

Sutton interjected, “That wasn’t in a single speech given in Congress about this…the idea that the solution if you don’t like it is make a little less money.”

[...]

Now they’re arguing that the mandate isn’t an unprecedented federal compulsion to purchase a private good, because after all you can get out of it — by earning less, and incidentally qualifying for federal subsidies.

:rolleyes:

Yep, Obama's economic policies to get us out of the recession are sure stellar....

dean.engelhardt
06-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Great moral hazard catch.

tangent4ronpaul
06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
bump

ChaosControl
06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm all for making less "reported" income. :)