PDA

View Full Version : U.S. teenager "mistakenly" killed (by wannabe U.S cop) in Costa Rica

aGameOfThrones
06-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Sixteen-year-old Justin Johnston was shot in the chest in the early hours of Thursday as he tried to sneak back into his room, breaking a night curfew on a school trip.

"It appears the hotel guard thought the guest was a thief," police said in a statement.

Police said the guard, who has been detained, shouted at Johnston and another schoolmate as they tried to enter their hotel room, prompting them to run and for the guard to fire.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/03/us-costarica-tourist-idUSTRE7520HP20110603

BamaAla
06-03-2011, 04:46 AM
I hate to hear this; I'm sure his family is distraught.

I'm glad to see that the shooter was "detained." Unfortunately, I doubt the same would happen if this had been ___(insert American city) rather than Costa Rica.

t0rnado
06-03-2011, 05:01 AM
This was a private hotel guard who thought a person going through a window was a thief. There have been incidents of private citizens shooting family members they mistakenly thought to be thieves or robbers breaking and entering. This isn't comparable to the heinous murders American thugs commit upon OBVIOUSLY innocent citizens.

With that said, since the hotel is a private organization, they will fire the security guard because it would be a bad business decision not to. A fascist organization like a public police department has no incentive to fire their gang members.