PDA

View Full Version : My conversation about Adam Kokesh at Lowe's

jmdrake
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I briefly mentioned this in the main Kokesh dance thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Last night I had to go to Lowe's to buy some paint. During the course of helping me, the associate told me he was glad to be out of school for the summer. I asked him where he went to school and he mentioned some community college. He was planning to transfer to a 4 year in the fall. I asked him if he had a transfer scholarship and he said he had one along with a Pell grant.

Later in the conversation he mentioned he had been in the Navy. I asked him if he had used his G.I. bill. He laughed and said that he lost it. He was an NCO in the Navy with quite a few years experience. His master chief, whom he respected, had a certain way he wanted things done. Well this officer right out of officer training school told him to do what he was doing a different way. He obediently did it. Then he said his master chief cursed him out like he had never been cursed out before. So he went back and did it the way the master chief told him. The new officer came back, cursed him out himself, demanded that he do it over again "right" and questioned the NCO as to why he didn't salute him this time. The NCO (the Lowe's associate) said "There are a lot of officers that have been here a long time and they've earned my respect and I salute them. But I'm not going to salute you. Not now and not ever." Of course he got written up for this and lost 30 days leave and his G.I. Bill.

Seeing this was a former member of the military and a non conformist, I told him about Adam's protest. I mentioned that Adam was a former marine who had heard about a judge's ruling that you couldn't dance at the Jefferson Memorial and that Adam found that ridiculous and ironic since Jefferson himself said that you had a duty to disobey unjust laws. I told him how he and his friends peacefully and silently danced in protest and were arrested. I mentioned how Adam let himself be bodyslammed on the concrete even though he could have easily manhandled that cop. I said the video was all over the net and he said "I'll have to check that out. It is true that an unjust law is no law at all."

So for everyone complaining about the dance protest, you need to realize what it's for. This isn't something to show at your next GOP fundraiser. Instead it's something to bring up to the free thinking non-conformists, many of whom aren't involved in politics at all. If they are cured enough of their apathy by this to vote, or better yet to become political activists then the movement moves forward.

Hat's off to you Adam Kokesh! And I wish you the best on this next protest.

jonhowe
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree completely.

My girlfriend refers to my politics as "antics", but she saw that video and was shocked. Might get her more into it all.

Pericles
06-02-2011, 12:30 PM
You need agitators and statesmen. Adam has chosen to be an agitator and Dr. Paul is a statesman.

IndianaPolitico
06-02-2011, 12:35 PM
You need agitators and statesmen. Adam has chosen to be an agitator and Dr. Paul is a statesman.
Very well put.

Matthew Zak
06-02-2011, 12:36 PM

I hope Adam continues to grow in popularity and that he continues to find clever new ways to prod at the system. We need people paying attention at all levels.

sirgonzo420
06-02-2011, 12:36 PM

And Rand is both!

lol

Anti Federalist
06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Well done JM.

+rep

Cowlesy
06-02-2011, 12:44 PM
+rep!

angelatc
06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
He lost his GI Bill over a momentary lapse of reason? Wow.

Travlyr
06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
+ rep

Pericles
06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
The Navy has the reputation for being the most arbitrary of the services.

jmdrake
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM

The government issueth, the government taketh away. Blessed be the game of the government.

Pericles
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
The government issueth, the government taketh away. Blessed be the game of the government.
Amen, brother.

cdc482
06-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Interesting take. I did at first think it was a dick move to dance SOLELY for the purpose of pissing of the police officer, but it did increase people's awareness of this unjust law. However, the law is still a minor issue to hurt the cop like that.

pcosmar
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM

No.
He lost it due to honesty and integrity.

I had experienced this same scenario several times when I was in.
I also found ways to avoid saluting the unfit as much as possible.

I got out and helped others to do the same.

pcosmar
06-02-2011, 01:12 PM
However, the law is still a minor issue to hurt the cop like that.
:confused:
Hurt the cop?

WTF ?

low preference guy
I agree completely.

My girlfriend refers to my politics as "antics", but she saw that video and was shocked. Might get her more into it all.

If I had a girlfriend who said that, I'd dump her.

jmdrake
Interesting take. I did at first think it was a dick move to dance SOLELY for the purpose of pissing of the police officer, but it did increase people's awareness of this unjust law. However, the law is still a minor issue to hurt the cop like that.

How was the cop hurt? By getting a hernia while body slamming Kokesh? ;) Seriously, the cop had every opportunity to be reasonable. He had the discretion to refuse to enforce a stupid law. Cops decline to make arrests or even give tickets all the time. He also didn't have to make a jackass of himself by doing the bodyslam or the choke. If seeing himself on camera makes him think twice next time he's actually been helped. Remember the thread recently about the off duty copy who, in his underwear, chased a teen into his (the teen's) house and broke a window trying to get at the teen? The cop said he "had a right" to do that. Cops like that need to attend a liberty dance party and chill out. ;)

amy31416
06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jmdrake again.

angelatc
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jmdrake again.

I covered ya.