PDA

View Full Version : FNC: Rep. Tom Tancredo Won't Seek Re-election in House; Remains Presidential Candidat

Bradley in DC
10-29-2007, 08:19 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305847,00.html

Rep. Tom Tancredo Won't Seek Re-election in House; Remains Presidential Candidate
Monday, October 29, 2007

WASHINGTON — Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo said Monday that he would not seek a sixth term in the House in next year's elections, but he would remain a presidential candidate seeking the Republican nomination.

"I think my task, my chore, whatever it is, my service, in the House of Representatives, is completed," Tancredo said, speaking by phone with FOX News Monday morning.

Tancredo -- the perennial illegal immigration foe -- said his decision has "been a long time coming."

Tancredo said that when he first ran for Congress, he pledged to stay only for three terms, but during his second term, he told his constituents that he would have to break the promise to fight illegal immigration.

"I would go on the floor of the House night after night speak, and no one else would ever come up, and I'd offer amendments one after another for years and no one would ever -- I mean the most we'd get is 80 or 90 votes, and things have changed dramatically," Tancredo said.

"We're now a lot of people in the House of Representatives ... that I can hand that baton to, and do so with knowledge that they will fight for this issue," Tancredo said, adding, "I have helped make it that way, I think, at least I hope, and I'm going to continue to do that of course during our discussions of, with this campaign for president."

Asked if he was frustrated with politics in the House, he said he was pleased with the amount of attention illegal immigration has achieved -- noting that one amendment of his that was virtually ignored years ago, was agreed to easily this year by voice vote.

"No, it isn't a frustration with it. ... I love public policy, and I hope to be doing it a long time as president, but if that doesn't work out it doesn't matter, there are other things."

Tancredo is known primarily for his staunch opposition to illegal immigration, which is the central pillar of his campaign platform, but the issue hasn't helped his campaign pull away from the basement-dwelling poll numbers.

kylejack
10-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Presumably he'll wait for his matching money and then check out of the race.

ItsTime
10-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I think he has/had to file for his re-election before he gets the matching. Do not quote me on that.

kylejack
10-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I think he has/had to file for his re-election before he gets the matching. Do not quote me on that.

The two races are separate. As long as he officially calls himself a presidential candidate, he can get the matching funds.

terlinguatx
10-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Bradley in DC
10-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Ok, I was flat out wrong when I said (repeatedly :o) that we could exit the prez race for re-election (based on what he told Colorado voters there over the 4th of July week).

Since I obviously have such a great prognositication record with this guy :rolleyes:, let me confidently predict that he's staying in this race to get the matching funds that he'll later use to fund a "Minuteman" type organization.

Perry
10-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Well that's a nasty thing to say. Makes him seem rather selfish doesn't it? :p

Badger Paul
10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Stupid, just plain stupid. Enjoy retirement Tom.

Although the CP nomination is available....

JosephTheLibertarian
10-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Tom is a dummy...he aint gonna win lol. he's 3rd tier, worse case scenario: we're second tier.. but at least we're not 3rd tier! :p

PaleoConservative
10-29-2007, 12:03 PM
A great loss in the Congress. I would have supported him if it wasn't for Ron Paul. Good luck Tom, best wishes. Maybe you can run for Senate in 2010. Please drop out and support Dr. Paul though, you have no chance of winning this thing.

tfelice
10-29-2007, 12:58 PM
My guess is that he will wait for matching funds, drop out and endorse Paul. The are fellow members of the RLC, and fellow Calvinists. They have far more in common that any other two candidates on the GOP side.