PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of Power

AFPVet
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
In these cases involving the abuse of police power, I ask myself... where are the 'good' officers in these instances? In fact, merely standing by and watching a thug masquerading as an officer commit a crime makes the observing officer(s) just as guilty.

If an real officer witnesses a thug with a shield murder someone and does not intervene by neutralizing the assailant, they are guilty of murder as well.

Perhaps some of these departments are entirely corrupt....

Of course, we have seen little government accountability. The government (by their own admission in the case of the Park Police) even admit that they are not held accountable to the people.

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Sadly, this was foreseeable, as the same thing has happened in other countries/socities that give so much authority to government police. The one lesson we can take from history is that we humans don't learn from history very well. :(

Pericles
06-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Where there are good cops, there are no bad cops.

AFPVet
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Where there are good cops, there are no bad cops.

Exactly....

Vessol
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
What's a good cop?

AFPVet
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
What's a good cop?

Someone who actually serves the public and lives by the oath of office. It seems that most of them have left the law enforcement field like I have.

Vessol
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Someone who actually serves the public and lives by the oath of office. It seems that most of them have left the law enforcement field like I have.

Who is "the public"?

AFPVet
06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Who is "the public"?

The people who are in charge ... or that's how it's supposed to be :( What the hell happened to this country?

Vessol
06-01-2011, 09:27 PM
The people who are in charge!

Pretty much.

It seems an odd system to have. Putting people into power who have the ability to use violence against others simply because they have been assigned by those whom hold power. It's kinda arbitrary really.