PDA

View Full Version : Responses from my State of FL Reps who voted for Patriot Act

tropicangela
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
:mad:

Dear _____,

Thank you for writing to me to express your concerns regarding the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act (hereinafter "the PATRIOT Act"). The PATRIOT Act is very complex legislation. I appreciate your input on this issue. While we may not agree, I want you to understand why I hold my position.

I appreciate the concerns you have raised regarding your right to privacy. I do not want to see any law used in such a way that would allow the federal government to violate your civil liberties. However, our nation's security is a paramount concern and I do not believe the manner in which the current law is enforced creates serious problems with regard to the civil liberties of Americans. I understand that the PATRIOT Act is not perfect. Nevertheless, I support this law; it is a necessary tool to keep our country safe during these perilous times. Amending the Act at this time would take tools away from law enforcement and would make America more vulnerable to a terrorist attack.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve you as your United States Senator. I appreciate you offering your opinion on this very complicated issue. I will certainly keep your views in mind. If I can ever be of any assistance to you, or if you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Senator Marco Rubio

Dear ______:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act.

On May 23, I voted for a procedural bill to extend certain expiring provisions of the PATRIOT Act through June 1, 2015. The bill passed 72-23, and President Obama signed it into law on May 27. (AUTOPEN)

I have supported the PATRIOT Act previously because our ability to gather information about terrorists is key to keeping Americans safer. While intelligence and law enforcement agencies need the tools to do that job, it’s also critically important that we protect the rights of law-abiding citizens. That’s why, for example, I have insisted in the past on provisions such as the one requiring court approval for access to certain records relevant to terrorism investigations.

Thank you again for contacting me and please do not hesitate to do so in the future.

Sincerely,
Senator Bill Nelson

goRPaul
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Rubio should no longer bear the "Tea Party" label, he's quickly joined ranks with the establishment and seems to enjoy every minute of it. I voted for him, but when he took a paid trip to Israel just a few days after he won, I knew what was going on.

KramerDSP
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I knew Rubio was a fraud from Day One. He's Jeb Bush's puppet.

UK4Paul
06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Wow. Insert "Enabling" instead of "Patriot", change the country from USA to Germany and the date to the early to mid 1930's... and something interesting emerges...

Golding
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
:mad:Rubio's letter is hysterical. It's almost like you can tell he's a politician or something.

"I do not want to see any law used in such a way that would allow the federal government to violate your civil liberties. However, [I wanted to vote for this law that is used in such a way that would allow the federal government to violate your civil liberties]."

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I supported the Libertarian in the race Alex Snitker. My conscience is clean.

Teaser Rate
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Wow. Insert "Enabling" instead of "Patriot", change the country from USA to Germany and the date to the early to mid 1930's... and something interesting emerges...

This is a ridiculous comparison.

tropicangela
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I supported the Libertarian in the race Alex Snitker. My conscience is clean.

I did too.