PDA

View Full Version : CSM: "Thompson Alone Tackles Entitlements"

starless
10-29-2007, 07:29 AM
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1029/p01s08-usec.html

:mad:

Please write a letter to the editor kindly explaining that Thompson is NOT the only Republican critical of entitlement spending!

Stealth4
10-29-2007, 07:31 AM
ugh, I dont have time to write a reply right now.

I hate reporters who dont do their homework.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-29-2007, 07:33 AM
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1029/p01s08-usec.html

:mad:

Please write a letter to the editor kindly explaining that Thompson is NOT the only Republican critical of entitlement spending!

Ever occur to you that the editor might be a biased piece of shit?

kylejack
10-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Usually CSM is awesome, so this is odd.

constituent
10-29-2007, 07:37 AM
usually csm is a piece of shit.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Fred Thompson is more status quo. The people that support him either love Bush or they're just...well, stupid. That's the god honest truth :p

kylejack
10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Sent this:

In a recent article, you opined that only Thompson is tackling entitlement programs. No one would tackle entitlements more fiercely than Ron Paul, a ten-term Congressman who has never voted for an unbalanced budget. Ron Paul says that he will allow young people to opt out of Social Security entirely, and wants to abolish the Department of Education, something no Republican has offered since Ronald Reagan. If your counter-argument is "yes, but he's not viable", I would direct you to recent New Hampshire polling, which has Ron Paul at 7.4%, leading alleged front-runner Thompson by 2 points. This precedes Ron Paul's recent advertising push in New Hampshire, which may bring more converts.

http://www.anselm.edu/NR/rdonlyres/B9C20574-57F4-47E9-8207-42252C4FA767/11912/saintanselmcollegepoll102507data.pdf

kylejack
10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
usually csm is a piece of shit.
Could you go into more detail? Its one of the better mainstream media sources out there.

kylejack
10-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Response:

Dear Kyle,

Thanks for your note. I just checked the story online, and I can see that the headline is inaccurate. The story does not say that Thompson is the only Republican candidate tackling entitlements.

Best,

Linda Feldmann
The Christian Science Monitor

FrankRep
10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Sweet and to the Point.

Linda Feldmann,

Ron Paul, the Republican presidential candidate, is also taking on Entitlements too. Fred Thompson isn't the only one. Please research Ron Paul.

Here is some information:

Youtube: Ron Paul on Entitlements
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JIwxhRfug

The Coming Entitlement Meltdown
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul372.html

Ron Paul 2008
http://www.RonPaul2008.com/

kylejack
10-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Don't hit her too hard, guys. It sounds like this is more the editor's fault than hers for putting a bad title and sub-title on the article. What she actually said in the article is roughly accurate, at least until RP is considered a front-runner by the MSM. She's not alone in that.

FrankRep
10-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Her Response:

Thanks for your note. I checked the story online, and I can see that the headline is inaccurate. The story does not say that Thompson is the only Republican candidate tackling entitlements. I know that Ron Paul has focused on this issue as well.

Best,

Linda Feldmann

torchbearer
10-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Her Response:

Thanks for your note. I checked the story online, and I can see that the headline is inaccurate. The story does not say that Thompson is the only Republican candidate tackling entitlements. I know that Ron Paul has focused on this issue as well.

Best,

Linda Feldmann

Ok, ask her to ask her editor to change the title. is that to hard for them to do if it is inaccurate?

FrankRep
10-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok, ask her to ask her editor to change the title. is that to hard for them to do if it is inaccurate?

Sent her a message.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe she's a zionist..only logical conclusion, right? lol. Seriously, I bet she doesn't consider Ron Paul a front runner, so that will be her response...if she responds

kylejack
10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Maybe she's a zionist..only logical conclusion, right? lol. Seriously, I bet she doesn't consider Ron Paul a front runner, so that will be her response...if she responds
Its not a unique position, so I can't fault her too much for that. Hopefully the title will get fixed.

margomaps
10-29-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not good at conciseness sometimes. So I wrote her this instead:

Dear Ms. Feldmann -

I enjoyed your article about the looming financial crisis on entitlement programs. Thompson took the politically risky move of suggesting cuts in entitlement benefits to preserve financial solvency, and he deserves to be applauded for this. It's disappointing that most other candidates continue to duck the issue by pretending there is no crisis.

I am surprised that your article didn't mention the other major candidate who takes an even tougher stance on entitlements: Ron Paul. I appreciate that you wanted to focus on the "top-tier" candidates, but I hope you understand that the media plays a large role in shaping who the top-tier becomes. If journalists routinely omit Paul's name in stories like yours, what are the chances that people will become aware that he's tougher on entitlements than Thompson? Or that out of principle he refuses to participate in the lucrative congressional pension program? Or that he has never voted for an unbalanced budget?

You're probably aware of Dr. Paul's recent 3rd quarter fundraising success -- he raised almost as much as John McCain, a supposed "top-tier" candidate, and has about $5 million more than McCain to spend on the primary. And you've likely heard about Ron's large and growing grassroots support both online and on the ground. But you might not have realized that he's polling higher than Thompson in NH (7% vs 5%), according to a SRBI Research / Saint Anselm College poll conducted last week. At what point will his performance earn him "top-tier" status in the eyes of the media?

Please consider including more coverage of Ron Paul in future articles. Your audience deserves to read the views of all the candidates who are having an impact on the political landscape, and it's becoming increasingly clear that Dr. Paul fits that description.

Respectfully,

- XXXXXXXX

I might make a shorter version of it and submit it as a LTE.

LizF
10-29-2007, 09:57 AM

That's a wonderfully written & informative email margomaps...great work! :)

torchbearer
10-29-2007, 09:58 AM

Looks good to me.

inibo
10-29-2007, 10:07 AM

Very nice. I hope we will be careful about hammering on this one. They have been informed. If they do not rethink based on your e-mail, ten-thousand more are not going to do any good.

margomaps
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
LizF, torchbearer, and inibo -

Thanks for the kind words. What I lack in conciseness, I try to make up for by adhering to the "catch more flies with honey" principle. I hope it works!

Stealth4
10-29-2007, 10:29 AM
LizF, torchbearer, and inibo -

Thanks for the kind words. What I lack in conciseness, I try to make up for by adhering to the "catch more flies with honey" principle. I hope it works!

I agree, ghandi approach vs. riot approach. We will get much much further by starting of nice.