PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so: Rand Paul calling for jailing of those who listen to radical political sp

tasteless
05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/05/31/232182/rand-paul-criminalize-speech/

PAUL: I’m not for profiling people on the color of their skin, or on their religion, but I would take into account where they’ve been traveling and perhaps, you might have to indirectly take into account whether or not they’ve been going to radical political speeches by religious leaders. It wouldn’t be that they are Islamic. But if someone is attending speeches from someone who is promoting the violent overthrow of our government, that’s really an offense that we should be going after — they should be deported or put in prison.

I hope they're taking his words out of context, because if he really means what he said, then I guess the apple really did fall a little further from the tree.

ronaldo23
05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/05/31/232182/rand-paul-criminalize-speech/

I hope they're taking his words out of context, because if he really means what he said, then I guess the apple really did fall a little further from the tree.

I think what he meant is that he wouldn't mind a judge issuing a warrant to investigate the activities of said person, and if legally obtained wiretaps determined said person was plotting to overthrow the US gov't or commit treason, then that would be justification for deporting or imprisoning the person. He emphasized in that interview how important that one extra layer of a judge issuing warrants is, so there is no reason to believe he thinks this step should be bypassed for a gov't deemed "suspicious" person (that's his whole opposition in the first place!).

Rather a person who attends rallies preaching terrorism or secretly plotting ideas to build radical Islamic camps in this country would be reasonable cause for a judge to issue a warrant to investigate this person, which could ultimately lead to deportation or imprisonment if cause is found.

sailingaway
05-31-2011, 09:18 PM
It is thinkprogress.

Don't just take it with a grain of salt, look up the actual speech. They spin to where it is the opposite of how they make things sound, then the mirror left blogs spin it twisting it worse and worse, They did it throughout the campaign and now are threatened because the left was impressed by Rand's actions on the patriot act. I've heard him say they should not stick their hands down the pants of every six year old in the airport but should go after those actually likely to commit terrorism, but the way he said it sounded like another phrasing of 'probable cause'. In context it is likely clear what he meant. At most he misspoke in the context of an interview. He has been very clear on these issues.

Sola_Fide
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey guys, look! The thinkprogress types who never post here are coming to convince us that Rand really isn't like Ron.

(Does anyone else see whats going on here or is it just me? The left is scared to death of Rand and they are trying everything they can possibly do to undercut our enthusiasm)

malkusm
05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Already being discussed here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?296086-Rand-Paul-Calls-for-Jailing-People-Who-Attend-Radical-Political-Speeches

sailingaway
05-31-2011, 09:26 PM
from the audio in the other thread it sounds like when he said 'deportTHEM' he meant the guy advocating violent overthrow of our government.... but the thing to do is ask Rand. I'm not in the slightest wobbly on him on this one. There are some areas where I have questions about him to flesh out still, but civil liberties is not one of them.