PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Mitt the Draft Dodger

freedom-maniac
05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Mitt's another one of the Chicken Hawk's who promotes war and sending other people to fight, but won't himself.

His father was a governor, so he was obviously a "fortunate son", and claimed to be a missonary (WTF?) to avoid service:

As the Vietnam War raged in the 1960s, Mitt Romney received a deferment from the draft as a Mormon "minister of religion" for the duration of his missionary work in France, which lasted two and a half years.

Before and after his missionary deferment, Romney also received nearly three years of deferments for his academic studies. When his deferments ended and he became eligible for military service in 1970, he drew a high number in the annual lottery that determined which young men were drafted. His high number ensured he was not drafted into the military.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/specials/romney/articles/part1_side_2/

Also, does any one know where to find video of this:

When G.O.P. presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, was asked in 2007 why none of his five sons (all perfect candidates for military service) had come forward to serve in the war that Romney supports enthusiastically, his response was "My sons are adults. They've chosen not to serve in the military in active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. . . And one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I’d be a great president."

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/about/chickenhawks.html

Remember, many people vote for a Presidential candidate just based on military service, and with all the other GOPers either never served, or were draft dodgers/fortunate sons, and Obama having never served, we can gain a lot of support for Dr. Paul from that crowd if we remind them of his military service.

tsai3904
05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xEK9IP2z0&NR=1

The full clip has been removed by whoever posted it and it doesn't seem like anyone made a copy of it.

This was the full exchange:

Question: “Hi, my name’s Rachel Griffiths, thank you so much for being here and asking for our comments. And I appreciate your recognizing the Iraq War veteran. My question is how many of your five sons are currently serving in the U.S. military and if none of them are, how do they plan to support this War on Terrorism by enlisting in our U.S. military?”

Governor Romney: “Well, the good news is that we have a volunteer army and that’s the way we’re going to keep it. My sons are all adults and they’ve made their decisions about their careers and they’ve chosen not to serve in the military and active duty. I respect their decision in that regard. I also respect and value very highly those who make a decision to serve in the military. I think we ought to show an outpouring of support just as I suggested. A surge of support for those families and those individuals who are serving. My niece, for instance, just to tell you what a neighborhood can do and how touching it can be. My niece, Misha, living out West, her husband I think he got a call on a Tuesday. He’s in the National Guard. He got a call on a Tuesday that he was going to be called up and shipped overseas on a Thursday. And they just bought a home — they hadn’t landscaped it — but the rules in the neighborhood were that unless you got your home landscaped within a year of the time that you bought your home, they began fining you, because they didn’t want people having mud holes in front of their homes. And she was very worried and just before the year expired, she woke up one morning and looked out the window and all the neighbors were out there, rolling down sod, putting up trees, getting it all done. It’s remarkable how we can show our support for our nation and one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping to get me elected, because they think I’d be a great president. My son, Josh, bought the family Winnebago and has visited 99 counties, most of them with his three kids and his wife. And I respect that and respect all of those in the way they serve this great country.” (Governor Mitt Romney, Remarks At An Ask Mitt Anything, Bettendorf, IA, 8/8/07)

libertybrewcity
05-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Is draft dodging really that big a deal? Hell, I would dodge the draft too if was about to be forced to go to some foreign country to die.

t0rnado
05-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Is draft dodging really that big a deal? Hell, I would dodge the draft too if was about to be forced to go to some foreign country to die.

It's a big deal if you support the current wars. I'd dodge it as well though.

Romulus
05-31-2011, 12:42 PM
bump

Galileo Galilei
11-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Romney Thanks the Troops

Here is Governor Romney’s Thanksgiving Day thank you to those who are away from their families in service to our country:

http://race42012.com/2011/11/24/romney-thanks-the-troops/

LisaNY
11-24-2011, 12:08 PM
warmonger Newt dodged the draft as well. He took a graduate school deferment. Ron is the only one running that answered the call of duty.

kah13176
11-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Romney was a HUGE proponent of Vietnam, the same war he draft dodged. THAT's hypocrisy.

JohnGalt1225
11-24-2011, 12:11 PM
It's not so much that he dodged the draft, it's that he's a warmonger now. He frequently lusts for aggressive wars when he himself was too cowardly to join the fight when he was of age.

MJU1983
11-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Yes, he is a chickenhawk. I don't think people would be complaining if he were still a "missionary". ;)

KingRobbStark
11-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Serously. That's one thing Romney did right.

Marky
11-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I can’t even think of one neocon hawk who actually served in Vietnam.

musicmax
11-24-2011, 01:22 PM
warmonger Newt dodged the draft as well. He took a graduate school deferment. Ron is the only one running that answered the call of duty.

Perry served as an Air Force captain after his ROTC stint in college, but Paul is the only one who was actually drafted.

Keith and stuff
11-24-2011, 01:57 PM

For things like the Vet War and Korea War is it a good thing.

LisaNY
11-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I hope Romney enjoyed his time in France while many of our men were fighting for their lives in the rice patties of Nam.

Mormon church obtained Vietnam draft deferrals for Romney, other missionaries

By Michael Kranish, Globe Staff | June 24, 2007

As the Vietnam War raged in the 1960s, Mitt Romney received a deferment from the draft as a Mormon "minister of religion" for the duration of his missionary work in France, which lasted two and a half years.

Before and after his missionary deferment, Romney also received nearly three years of deferments for his academic studies. When his deferments ended and he became eligible for military service in 1970, he drew a high number in the annual lottery that determined which young men were drafted. His high number ensured he was not drafted into the military.

The deferments for Mormon missionaries became increasingly controversial in the late 1960s, especially in Utah, leading the Mormon Church and the government to limit the number of church missionaries who could put off their military service. That agreement called for each church ward, or church district, to designate one male every six months to be exempted from potential duty for the duration of his missionary work.

Romney's home state was Michigan, making his 4-D exemption as a missionary all but automatic because of the relatively small number of Mormon missionaries from that state. It might have been more difficult in Utah, where the huge Mormon population meant that there were sometimes more missionaries than available exemptions. Most missions lasted two and a half years, as Romney's did.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/specials/romney/articles/part1_side_2/

Todd
11-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Yeah...it is....if your application is in to be the decision maker on who will and will not be going to a foreign war.

what he said.^

ChrisDixon
11-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Opposing the draft and dodging it, is in principle, not wrong in many cases because the wars usually aren't just. Thus, it is a form of civil disobedience.

But people like Romney, the case is different. Romney does not oppose war, but rather, is a vigorous supporter of it. He can send everyone else's children off to die, but he won't put on the uniform himself? #HYPOCRITE

Jingles
11-24-2011, 05:03 PM

John McCain. I hate his positions on war (he is right on torture though). He at least isn't a chickenhawk.

Aratus
11-24-2011, 05:37 PM
the eternal why...