PDA

View Full Version : Is the American Dream to get Rich/Wealthy or to be Middle Class ?

aid632007
05-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Is the American Dream to get Rich/Wealthy or to be Middle Class ?

Thom and Stephen Moore debate - Don't cut Social Security...Double it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWQ4yqVS7E

aGameOfThrones
05-30-2011, 07:42 AM
The American dream... "you have to be asleep to believe it."~ George carlin

Carehn
05-30-2011, 07:45 AM
I think its to be what ever you want it to be.

Zippyjuan
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Something like seventy percent of the people already think they are middle class. And half the popluation thinks they will become upper middle class in the next five to ten years- even in the current economic situation. http://www.pymnts.com/new-citibank-survey-reveals-half-of-americans-believe-they-will-be-upwardly-mobile-within-five-to-ten-years-despite-majority-just-getting-by-today-20110428007363/

Agorism
05-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Tomm Hartmann is oblivious to how the world works yet he has a talk show telling people how he thinks it should be.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-30-2011, 11:14 AM
My biggest expense would probably be property tax if I owned a home. I only spend maybe 70 dollars a month max on food for myself.

Agorism
05-30-2011, 11:17 AM
70 bucks a month on food so a little over 2 dollars a day. How do you manage that?

AZKing
05-30-2011, 11:22 AM
70 bucks a month on food so a little over 2 dollars a day. How do you manage that?

Ramen and McDoubles? :<

By the way, that video debate sucks. Of course people strive to be wealthy. I've never met a person that enjoys going to a dead end job day in and day out.

Matthew Zak
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
It's to follow your heart, and have the freedom to do so.

Agorism
05-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Potatoes can go along way in terms of cheap food, but they're not that quick to cook. Relatively cheap.

speciallyblend
05-30-2011, 11:49 AM
i thought the american dream was just getting gas in your car to get to work!

speciallyblend
05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Potatoes can go along way in terms of cheap food, but they're not that quick to cook. Relatively cheap.

i am living like a king!/s I get natural fries and cook them in oil or peanut oil when i am rich!

steph3n
05-30-2011, 12:00 PM
My biggest expense would probably be property tax if I owned a home. I only spend maybe 70 dollars a month max on food for myself.

live in mom's basement? :D

steph3n
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I am living the american dream in the american wasteland of politics.

Isn't the dream to be happy with yourself? Oh it isn't.....that is everyone's dream, be happy, not just americans.

heavenlyboy34
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
"The American Dream" was coined by James Truslow Adams in his book "The Epic of America"(1931) and popularized by Horatio Alger. It never really existed, but it was a nice thing to talk about, dream about, and politicize.

Anti Federalist
05-30-2011, 12:50 PM
"The American Dream" was coined by James Truslow Adams in his book "The Epic of America"(1931) and popularized by Horatio Alger. It never really existed, but it was a nice thing to talk about, dream about, and politicize.

Another Depression era vampire, still haunting us to this day.

Freedom > Wealth.

Besides, "rich" is completely subjective and relative.

amy31416
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Grow most of your own?

Dumpster dive?

Soup kitchens?

Fasting?

pcosmar
05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
My dream is for the Government to leave me the hell alone.
as in, Get out of my life entirely. Every aspect of it.

heavenlyboy34
05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
My dream is for the Government to leave me the hell alone.
as in, Get out of my life entirely. Every aspect of it.
+infinity :cool:

CanadaBoy
05-30-2011, 02:43 PM
+infinity :cool:

+and beyond :D

Travlyr
05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Is the American Dream to get Rich/Wealthy or to be Middle Class ?

Thom and Stephen Moore debate - Don't cut Social Security...Double it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWQ4yqVS7E

Thom Hartmann apparently is one who believes in the "Nobel Lie" which is philosophically opposed to liberty. A small group of intellectual elite cannot do a better job of running everyone's lives than we can do for ourselves. Their true intent is to cheat the masses for their own benefit under the guise of helping us.

Mr. Hartmann's belief that we can "tax the rich" and "double social security" exposes the tremendous wealth that is being unfairly distributed (stolen) by the cleverly designed inflation tax. Yes, doubling social security is possible. But it would be much much better if the rulers would cease and desist their wealth transferring schemes. Get your government's hands out of our wallets, Thom!

Either he just doesn't get the concept of taxation for wealth redistribution is inefficient and morally wrong, or he is a paid shill for the ruling class. I just cannot yet discern which it is.

Is he intellectually dishonest or intellectually deficient? There is plenty of good information on the Internet to help him understand... and he has a bully pulpit.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Grow most of your own?

Dumpster dive?

Soup kitchens?

Fasting?
coupon shopper :)

VIDEODROME
05-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I once overheard someone describing how they made "Tomato Soup" from hot water and free packets of ketchup.

Cutlerzzz
05-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Are we supposed to feel bad for Hartmann's friend who decided to run on ice and hurt himself, and now gets a paycheck for the rest of his life?

Out of every talk show host or TV host I have never heard in my life, not one more painful to listen to than this guy. He is worse than Medved or Levin. Try listening to him talk to Walter Block(actually, don't).

amy31416
05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
coupon shopper :)

Awesome. I want your tips & tricks, stat!

MelissaWV
05-30-2011, 04:53 PM
From a financial standpoint, my dream is to not have to worry about it at all. I have enough money to buy food. I have enough money to get gas and go to work and get home and not watch the needle. My power and phone and water are not in danger of getting cut off. My internet is not threatening to blip out at any moment. Barring the most catastrophic of health emergencies, I can provide for my well-being. My home is proof against regular rain and wind, and the air conditioner keeps me cool when desired. My vehicle is not likely to leave me on foot, and if it were to try I would sick AAA on it. My grandmother is in a good nursing home, as we cannot provide the care she needs. My parents don't have to work into their graves in order to afford all of the aforementioned; they have a daughter to help them do it all. My niece and nephew, should something bad happen, have a place to come to and grow up at, and I would be able to afford to provide for them as well (though it would be admittedly tight). I cleared up my debts years ago. I have a job I enjoy on most days, and another job I enjoy even more often.

I live in a fairly low-crime area, with access to cultural events, an interstate to get away from here, and an airport that believes "security" is one snoozy security guard and a 1980s metal detector. This place lets me indulge my heritage, and incorporate other cultures' habits into my own daily routine. It offers education, both of the sort you have to pay for and the sort you learn the hard way. There are nice people around most of the time, to the point that folks strike up conversations at random in restaurants or book stores or grocery stores. There is football, which I enjoy, and there are myriad sports to engage in if I so please.

More than all of those, there is my Kindle and there is my tree to climb, and the cool night air of a summer's night to entertain myself 20 feet closer to the stars :D