PDA

View Full Version : Jan Brewer attempts to thwart voter-approved medical marijuana law

Zatch
05-28-2011, 03:06 PM
By Jon Johnson
Assistant Editor
Published on Friday, May 27, 2011 12:00 PM MST

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

That appears to be Arizona Governor Jan Brewer's mantra in her efforts to suppress voter-approved Proposition 203 – otherwise known as the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act.

Brewer, who openly campaigned against passage of the act, announced Tuesday that she directed Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne to file suit by the end of the week to seek a declaratory judgment from a federal court regarding the legality of Arizona's new medical marijuana law.

This is not the first time the state's lawmakers went against the will of the people regarding medical marijuana. In 1996, voters passed Arizona's first medical marijuana measure – Proposition 200 – by a 2-1 vote, but the State Legislature was able to stop it from being implemented. Two years later, the Voter Protection Act was passed, and that prohibits state legislators from changing a voter-approved initiative without a three-quarter supermajority.

In her press release, Brewer said she is ordering the lawsuit to protect state employees who are charged with issuing medical marijuana patient cards and dispensary licenses and questions the Arizona Department of Public Safety's ability to maintain federal grant monies due to the law. Brewer cites a letter from United States Attorney for the District of Arizona Dennis Burke to Arizona Department of Health Services Director Will Humble on May 2 as the reasoning she is seeking clarification from a federal court...

Read more: http://www.eacourier.com/articles/2011/05/27/news/breaking_news/doc4ddff4c410831373959545.txt

sirgonzo420
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM
What a bitch.

Lucille
05-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I hate that woman as much as the O Duce administration and his Dept. of InJustice.

Barry Hess for AZ Governor!

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2011, 04:30 PM
I hate that woman as much as the O Duce administration and his Dept. of InJustice.

w00t! :cool:

Humanae Libertas
05-28-2011, 06:16 PM
In other words: screw what the people want unless it fits your agenda. Got it...

Kregisen
05-28-2011, 06:24 PM

I met him once at a SFL meeting - VERY intelligent man. I would love for him to be AZ governor almost as much as Ron Paul president....

Jan Brewer, on the other hand, keeps saying how she steps up to the feds, when she defends SB1070 and immigration issues, but is doing the exact opposite here.

HATE HER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPKKbmWMZ8

HOLLYWOOD
05-28-2011, 06:30 PM
What is it with Arizonans electing not only nasty-azz women governors but total statist/establishment authoritarians?

Frankly, after Arizonans keep re-electing one of the worse US Senators of all time, John McCain... no faith in that state. What's the next round, AZ Governor Palin?

AGRP
05-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Tyranny exists at every level of government.

heavenlyboy34
05-28-2011, 06:39 PM
What is it with Arizonans electing not only nasty-azz women governors but total statist/establishment authoritarians?

Frankly, after Arizonans keep re-electing one of the worse US Senators of all time, John McCain... no faith in that state. What's the next round, AZ Governor Palin?

Senior citizens and East Coast transplants comprise a huge part of the electorate here. It's a big "retirement state", like Florida. I'm pretty sure that's the explanation. My county keeps reelecting Sheriff Joe, who is frankly scarier than Jan Brewer. :eek: Kind of strange how Goldwater country became like this. :(

speciallyblend
05-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior citizens and East Coast transplants comprise a huge part of the electorate here. It's a big "retirement state", like Florida. I'm pretty sure that's the explanation. My county keeps reelecting Sheriff Joe, who is frankly scarier than Jan Brewer. :eek: Kind of strange how Goldwater country became like this. :(

move to colorado, we will welcome you with open arms;)