PDA

View Full Version : Skipping Iowa..

doodle
05-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Some candidates skip religious leaning Iowa and focus on later states. Could this be smart strategy for more efficient use of campaign resources?

trey4sports
05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
no. Ron is polling well in Iowa, and i believe that he does moderately well with the religious right. Winning Iowa is crucial to our success. I could understand focusing more money and time on NH if Romney wasnt in the race but he has NH already wrapped up so that is a losing strategy. Iowa, i believe, will vet the candidates well, and Rons honesty will shine through all the bs.

ForLibertyFight
05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
We need to win the Ames Straw Poll. If we have a disappointing outcome, this campaign will be in serious trouble.

doodle
05-28-2011, 01:25 PM
If it is advertized that a candidate would be focussing on NH and skipping Iowa, then wins top slot in NH while taking 3rd slot in Iowa, won't that be seen as momentum building strength. I know little about these calculations, was just a thought.

Rep. Ron Paul takes second in New Hampshire CNN poll
The State Column | Staff | Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/rep-ron-paul-takes-second-in-new-hampshire-cnn-poll/#ixzz1NaGujVrr

Avalon
05-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Last time, the straw poll hurdled the huckster up with mittens and suddenly here in Georgia (and I'm sure other states) the GOP jumped behind him because he now "had a chance". They organized and held on to him until the end. Ron Paul was designated to also ran status and received no favorable coverage. The media will downplay a straw poll win but it's still a great way to get legitimacy early and especially in Iowa for the Iowa caucuses (which establish legitimacy for later primaries). Our prime enemy isn't another candidate, it's "he can't win." And unlike the actual primaries, the iowa straw poll is for sale, so it is a great opportunity to be able to actually compete in the primary.

Galileo Galilei
05-28-2011, 01:34 PM
If it is advertized that a candidate would be focussing on NH and skipping Iowa, then wins top slot in NH while taking 3rd slot in Iowa, won't that be seen as momentum building strength. I know little about these calculations, was just a thought.

Rep. Ron Paul takes second in New Hampshire CNN poll
The State Column | Staff | Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/rep-ron-paul-takes-second-in-new-hampshire-cnn-poll/#ixzz1NaGujVrr

Ron Paul has a giant organization of volunteers and is well-funded, he can focus on two small states at the same time. It is the other candidates who have to pick and choose, not Paul. Only Romney and Paul can run effective multi-state campaigns at the ame time.

rp08orbust
05-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Some candidates skip religious leaning Iowa and focus on later states. Could this be smart strategy for more efficient use of campaign resources?

For establishment favorites, yes it can be smart, but for underdogs like Ron Paul who are plagued with doubts about electability, no. He must win the Ames straw poll and the Iowa caucus to dispel those doubts.

The Dark Knight
05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Ron cannot afford to skip any state. We have to win Iowa first. Starts in Ames. Romney will be tough to beat in New Hampshire, we are going to need momentum from an Iowa victory to have a real chance in New Hampshire. Other candidates can skip Iowa with the help of the media and establishment.

Verrater
05-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Am i the only one that thinks this is actually great for us?
Since some candidates are going to do this, it will make the other candidates less likely to campaign hard.

doodle
05-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I was overlooking some factors about grass roots network. I was actually tryiing to say winning top position in NH seems like a very probable target and resources should be focussed there. But I realize that shoud not mean major trade off of resorces in Iowa.

trey4sports
05-28-2011, 01:51 PM

yes, but Romneys lead in NH is too big for us to "bank on" overcoming. Think about it, Iowa is wide open while in NH Romney has a 20+ point lead over Ron Paul, and Mitt lives in that area of the country. We're more much more likely to win Iowa than NH, plus if we win Iowa it will catapult our numbers in the coming primaries

JWZguy
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Please don't forget about Louisiana. It looks like our caucus will again be very early.

libertybrewcity
05-28-2011, 02:20 PM
not a good idea

White Bear Lake
05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
We need to make an effort in every state. Yes we can start with a focus on Iowa and New Hampshire, but we need to start planning for Nevada, SC, and Florida sooner than later. And then we have to start making plans for the other 45 states. This isn't going to be like the last few decades where the nominee was pretty much decided by South Carolina. Who knows what state it might come down to next year - California, the last state, was where Goldwater won it. It might go all the way to the convention in Tampa. We don't know but we have to be prepared to fight in all 50 states.

The Dark Knight
05-28-2011, 02:28 PM
We need to make an effort in every state. Yes we can start with a focus on Iowa and New Hampshire, but we need to start planning for Nevada, SC, and Florida sooner than later. And then we have to start making plans for the other 45 states. This isn't going to be like the last few decades where the nominee was pretty much decided by South Carolina. Who knows what state it might come down to next year - California, the last state, was where Goldwater won it. It might go all the way to the convention in Tampa. We don't know but we have to be prepared to fight in all 50 states.

Yep, basically the Republican party is in a civil war right now and its going to be a long primary season for the Republican Party. We Have to win one of the first four to have a real shot though. Iowa and Nevada are the best chances of winning.

outspoken
05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
don't you almost have to support farm subsidies to be a #1 GOP candidate in Iowa??

CMoore
05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I have been watching this campaign since 2007. Ron Paul is truly a long distance runner and he has a plan and is working the plan. It is sort of exciting to watch his strategy play out. It may not make sense in the short term some times, but over the course of time it is amazing what has been accomplished.