PDA

View Full Version : As Obama plays ping pong, First funeral held after tornadoes toll hits 132

doodle
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Missouri tornadoes: First funeral held as toll hits 132

The first funeral of a confirmed victim of last Sunday's devastating tornado in the city of Joplin in the US state of Missouri has been held.

It came as the death toll from the tornado - the deadliest in more than 60 years - rose from 125 to 132, local officials said.

But they say a new list of 232 missing has dropped to 156 after dozens of people were accounted for.

Rescuers with dogs are continuing their search for more survivors in Joplin.

"We're going to be in a search and rescue mode until we remove the last piece of debris," city manager Mark Rohr was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13582541

In other news, Obama is playing ping pong in Europe:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/5/24/1306265609116/Obama-and-Cameron-play-ta-007.jpg

Zippyjuan
05-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Obama is on a trip planned long ago. He said he will attend services as soon as he returns. He is not ignoring people dying in the tornados (I don't see an reference to ping pong in the article).

US President Barack Obama plans to visit Joplin - home to 49,000 people - on Sunday to take part in a community memorial service.

RM918
05-28-2011, 06:16 AM
This is a little unreasonable. He can't stop tornadoes (Though I'm certain this opportunity WILL still be used for some sort of government overreach and they'll act like they CAN stop tornadoes) and he can't sit in a room all day crying every time a disaster strikes.

Meatwasp
05-28-2011, 07:21 AM
How many fun vacations does a president need? On tax payers money.

acptulsa
05-28-2011, 08:13 AM
How many fun vacations does a president need? On tax payers money.

And can he not stop committing faux pas in front of the queen long enough to send some words of encouragement?

Wonder where they're going to land that 747 of his. Joplin's airport isn't large enough, and I'm not sure about Springfield. He won't be in that limo for a couple of hours, so I guess he'll travel the last leg by helicopter.

RabbitMan
05-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Seriously? Can we stop criticizing the President for a moment when he doesn't deserve it? It's stuff like this that makes us look, ahem, fair and balanced.

acptulsa
05-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Not rushing home is one thing. But I haven't heard a single word out of him on the subject. This isn't the way to convince 'flyover country' that we're a real part of the national community.

And they wonder why we tend to be dismissive of the fedgov around here. Just returning the favor. They're obviously dismissive of us. All the one size fits all laws fail to fit us. We aren't rich but we're 'donor states' in terms of what we pay and what we get back. FEMA is refusing people in Joplin loans to tide them through while they deal with insurance because they have insurance--and not doing much (if anything) else. And now this...

pcosmar
05-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Seriously? Can we stop criticizing the President for a moment when he doesn't deserve it? It's stuff like this that makes us look, ahem, fair and balanced.

Why?
I would hope he stays away. He will only hinder clean up, and get in the way of rebuilding.
We really don't need the added expense of his pointless globetrotting either.

He needs to shut the fuck up and do what he said he would do. Bring the troops home.

doodle
05-28-2011, 11:23 AM
This is a little unreasonable. He can't stop tornadoes (Though I'm certain this opportunity WILL still be used for some sort of government overreach and they'll act like they CAN stop tornadoes) and he can't sit in a room all day crying every time a disaster strikes.

Agreed, he cannot stop tornadoes anymore than Bush could stop hurricanes. But hundreds of Americans are still missing, he does not seem to care that much looking st his body language.

http://media.nj.com/hudson_voices_impact/photo/9632147-large.jpg

olehounddog
05-28-2011, 11:30 AM
We're broke and he's galavantin around the world waisting millions of dollars.

qh4dotcom
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Sorry, he takes too many vacations at taxpayer expense...and the country is broke and can't afford such vacations...he deserves to be criticized

kah13176
05-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Title is retarded as hell. It can be changed to: As kah13176 plays Call of Duty: Black Ops, First funeral held after tornadoes toll hits 132.

I can't help the weather. I can't attend every funeral. Obama can't either.

libertybrewcity
05-28-2011, 03:08 PM

No. His every move deserves to be criticized. RP's too if he was president. Our money is being spent so he can attend these vacations and go to pointless G8 meetings. He should have some respect for the people.

AndrewD
05-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Yea, as an isolated incident this is a bit extreme. But its not isolated. Too many vacations, too much money. Too many times he's been away while VERY important matters have been needing his attention at home. Trips can always be rescheduled as needs arise. I for one won't give Barry a free pass on this one as it is one of the many straws that are breaking the camels back.

Maximus
05-28-2011, 03:09 PM
This just looks terrible on Obama. He doesn't have to be playing ping pong and jazzing it up as hundreds are dead.

Theocrat
05-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I have to agree with many of the members in here. Obama can't stop natural disasters, so why do we even look to our President for guidance and comfort, like he's God or something? If anything, we should be looking to local citizens, possibly with the help of county and state governments to be first-responders when natural disasters strike. The President should be the last person we expect to take action. After all, we are the United States, not the United State.

doodle
05-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I have to agree with many of the members in here. Obama can't stop natural disasters, so why do we even look to our President for guidance and comfort, like he's God or something?[/B].

Likewise, Bush could not stop them either.

Bush calls Katrina photo 'huge mistake'

(CNN) – It is one of the most recognizable photographs of George W. Bush’s presidency – and it was a big mistake, the ex-president says.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/06/bush-calls-katrina-photo-huge-mistake/

What is he doing playing ping pong on tax payers time at this time..or anytime... while people are missing/dying?

BlackTerrel
05-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Title is retarded as hell. It can be changed to: As kah13176 plays Call of Duty: Black Ops, First funeral held after tornadoes toll hits 132.

I can't help the weather. I can't attend every funeral. Obama can't either.

I can't believe you're playing video games when people are dying. Selfish.

doodle
05-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't believe you're playing video games when people are dying. Selfish.

Playing video games funded by tax payers money is not kosher.

PreDeadMan
05-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Maybe Obama can play ping pong for the remainder of time he's in office and not do anything :)

specsaregood
05-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Maybe Obama can play ping pong for the remainder of time he's in office and not do anything :)

they don't need him anyways, just requires lobbyists and the autopen. presto! you won't be able to tell the difference.

amy31416
05-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Why would anyone desire his phony condolences? Would his presence make any difference whatsoever?

doodle
05-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Why would anyone desire his phony condolences? Would his presence make any difference whatsoever?

'Comforter-in-chief' heading to tornado-ravaged Missouri for memorial service

By Sam Youngman - 05/28/11 11:40 AM ET

President Obama on Sunday will speak at a memorial service for the more than 130 people who were killed last weekend when a tornado ripped through Joplin, Mo.

The president will meet victims of the horrific disaster, flying to Missouri shortly after returning from a week-long trip in Europe.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/163787-comforter-in-chief-heading-to-visit-tornado-ravaged-missouri

ClayTrainor
05-28-2011, 11:17 PM

+1

Personally, I'd prefer there to be no Mob Bosses present at my funeral.

Andrew-Austin
05-28-2011, 11:20 PM
He needs to be there to heal those injured by the tornado with his magical tears.

MaxPower
05-29-2011, 01:45 AM
The tornado was not Obama's fault, there was nothing he could do about it, and he was not personally connected to it. The deaths resulting from the tornado were undeniably tragic, but one must realize that tragedies are occurring all around us at every instant; even as I type this sentence, someone is dying in a car crash, someone is succumbing to a deadly disease, someone is in the last throes of starvation, someone is being kidnapped, someone is being murdered, etc. Though I lament this reality, and believe it is my responsibility to do what I can to prevent or ease the burden of such events, I cannot take time to mourn over every one, as this would leave no quarter for living and for all the good and opportunities for good which life entails.

There is no valid reason the president has any more duty to attend a funeral for tornado victims than does any other public figure; let us not aggrandize the presidency into something beyond the plain public office defined in the Constitution. The president's duty is to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States"- he need not be seen as a spiritual leader or cast in the paternalistic role of a wise shepherd overseeing his flock. This is not to say that Obama should not offer his condolences or attend any services, but it is to say that he does not have some special role in the matter which requires that he cancel all other business and rush to the scene.

We needn't dilute our message with irrational attacks such as this. There are more than enough legitimate and objective criticisms of Obama to go around; focus on the utter dereliction he has shown in his earlier-referenced sworn duty to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution.

Nastynate
05-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Well just look at what the media did to Bush during Katrina. You can compare the two because the Media chewed Bush up for not doing that much for the victims and turns out Bush hates black people because of it....go figure. But in my ideal world a president wouldn't even show up to a natural disaster because he doesn't really have any say or him showing up isn't going to fix anything but make him look good in front of the cameras. The governor is the person that should be leading the charge in everything, however I doubt Nixon knows what to do. Missouri has been getting hit hard by disasters this past month. There has been non-stop rainstorms leading to major flooding in the east, a tornado at the end of may that torn up and closed down Lambert Airport in St. Louis for a couple of days, and now this Joplin disaster. But all in all I would just like it if Obama stayed out of my state he has no business being here and isn't going to help anybody or anything if he comes, just get in the way with his legions of secret service.

During that same Joplin storm I had storm damage and power outage but I don't see Obama touring that, because he doesn't need to. Everyone's seen downed trees and house damage.

acptulsa
05-29-2011, 06:33 AM
There is a long precedent for presidents offering some semblance of comfort after major disasters, and this was major. And some of the victims certainly appreciate it more than others. More than one person is undoubtedly glad that Obama was out of the country until now, as I doubt the town could have handled the over-the-top logistics of the secret service before now. As it is, the people paving the way for his visit could be doing more important things.

That said, it's odd that he said basically nothing on the subject until photo op time. A few words a week ago would have made a bigger difference than his personal appearance today, but this was not forthcoming. Now he feels the need to tie the town up with his crowds of personnel to make up for it.

Reminds me of the old saying, he'd spend a dollar to pinch a dime. None of it makes sense.

outspoken
05-29-2011, 06:52 AM
It's not the job of the president to intervene on natural disasters and I don't expect him to have to play the role of shoulder to cry on. That is our job each as citizens and neighbors. FEMA is a disaster itself because of this kind of thinking.

outspoken
05-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Maybe the media should spin this disaster and say that Obama hates white people like they did with Bush and Katrina?

Theocrat
05-29-2011, 07:09 AM

I don't think his condolences would be phony, but I do agree that his presence would not make any difference towards the disaster. I just don't like how the American people cry for the President (like scared girls who call for their Daddy during a storm) whenever a natural disaster strikes. It's no wonder FEMA continues to exist. All it does is gives the federal government more legitimacy to deal with natural disasters, rather than allowing governors and state legislatures/municipalities to be in charge of the situation.