PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Banner July 4th?

Mani
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Are we still planning on doing a 1 hr airplane banner ad on July 4th?

The company I looked at was booked that day. If we are still planning that we should act fast. Someone else said they found a company that was available that day, are we just waiting to raise some funds?

bigsauce
06-14-2007, 01:34 PM
there we no response to donate to this

Mani
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
there we no response to donate to this

I believe the quote was for $400.00.

If 10 of us chip in $40.00 we've raised the money. I'm ready to do that.

hroos
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Lemme simplify my post. I'm in for the $40.

CJLauderdale4
06-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I can put in $40....

BravoSix
06-24-2007, 06:07 PM
I can put in $40.

ReneInMiami
06-24-2007, 08:59 PM
$40

ReneInMiami
06-24-2007, 09:01 PM
We can tell people to watch for Ron Paul in certain debates. Then when they see the media censorship, and hear Ron Paul's message, they will join our side and fight for Paul!

Mani
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
We need 5 more people to chip in $40.

If we are one short, I'll throw in another $40, so really we only need 4 more people.

CJLauderdale4
06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Only 4 more??
Can we send a blast to the meetups??

Mani
06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Only 4 more??
Can we send a blast to the meetups??

The miami meetup knows about it, if you want to contact the fort lauderdale group, that would be great.

hroos
06-27-2007, 08:04 AM
I just got an email from "Darwin" for another pledge of $40. That brings total pledges to $320. Here's a list of donors.

$40 Dean (BigSauce)
$40 Hector (hroos)
$40 Carl (CJLauderdale4)
$40 (BravoSix)
$40 (ReneInMiami)
$80 (Mani)
$40 Darwin

Mani
06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I just got an email from "Darwin" for another pledge of $40. That brings total pledges to $320. Here's a list of donors.

$40 Dean (BigSauce)
$40 Hector (hroos)
$40 Carl (CJLauderdale4)
$40 (BravoSix)
$40 (ReneInMiami)
$80 (Mani)
$40 Darwin

Just spoke to my co-worker Will, he's in for $40. We need just one more!

$40 Dean (BigSauce)
$40 Hector (hroos)
$40 Carl (CJLauderdale4)
$40 (BravoSix)
$40 (ReneInMiami)
$80 (Mani)
$40 Darwin
$40 Will

Total so far $360.

RonPaulGetsIt
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
if you still need the last 40 you can put me down for it

Mani
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
if you still need the last 40 you can put me down for it

Awesome!

Mani
06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
$40 Dean (BigSauce)
$40 Hector (hroos)
$40 Carl (CJLauderdale4)
$40 (BravoSix)
$40 (ReneInMiami)
$80 (Mani)
$40 Darwin
$40 Will
$40 (RonPaulGetsIt)

Hector, go ahead and call back Steve from the airplane ad company and let's get this going!!!

hroos
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I just received another email from a Jorge for $40. So we have brokenthrough the goal. I'm dropping Steve a line now.

Zydeco
06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Miami shout-out! Hopefully Drudge will see it outside his condo. :cool:

hroos
06-27-2007, 01:25 PM
OK, here is the update. I spoke to Steve from Arnold Aerial and it seems that they are quoting higher than we expected. The $400 quote is most likely from a local vendor. It is important to note that the $400 is for a single hour of aerial advertising. This price will not include the billboard itself which is the most expensive part of this advertising option at a range of $5625 or $6,300 (smaller billboard). They also require a minimum 2 hours per flight (for total flight time - going back and forth to the airport).

A summary of the total charges would be $575 per hour which is $1150 per flight (discounts for frequent flying is available). We also need a billboard which is a one-time fee at a minimum of $5625 (no color). That's a total of $6775 for this July 4th.

I spoke to Dean and informed of this total price... his reaction "If they want to charge us that much, tell them they can go to hell..."

I didn't take his advice of course but I did realize the amount of money that we really need to launch massive advertising campaigns. I guess this is lesson #1 about political campaigns. If you have the big bucks this is what you can do. Otherwise, invest your money wisely.

Dean concluded and I agree that we can use $400 is much more effective ways for us. We have many more important goals to achieve and more cost-effective ways of getting Dr. Paul's name in "lights."

So for everyone who pledged cash, Thank You. Hold on to your money now. If you do have some money laying around then donate it to the campaign directly.

See you all at Monday's meetup and on July 4th where we kick this campaign in true patriotic style.

Terribliz
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I thought $400 sounded awful cheap...

Mani
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I found a local vendor, Aerial Banners. IT's SO MUCH CHEAPER.

They have re-usable letters so they are not building something.

It's $350/hr with a 1.5 hr minimum that $475 + $100 set up fee.

$575 TOTAL. He's available for July 4th but he says it's filling up fast. It's 7 foot letters and up to 50 characters. There are a few other local vendors out there.

I did get a quote for $400 from a different local vendor but they were booked on the fourth.

I see small companies like PizzaLoft do banner ads for $5 pizzas, there's no way it cost more than a few hundred bucks.

The salesman from Van Wagner Aerial Media will call me tomorrow. These are some fort lauderdale companies, I'm sure there's some in Miami.

Mani
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Current Pledges:

$40 Dean (BigSauce)
$40 Hector (hroos)
$40 Carl (CJLauderdale4)
$40 (BravoSix)
$40 (ReneInMiami)
$40 (Mani)
$40 Darwin
$40 Will
$40 (RonPaulGetsIt)
$40 Jorge
$40 Phil Blumel
$40 (Hamadeh)
------
$480

Mani
06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I FOUND A REASONABLE COMPANY! I'm working with Skyvertising they are offering $395 plus $2 each letter, 1 hr minimum.

We have one hour around 6pm-7pm going around the Miami Beach area, she said it's a really busy day so it could be somewhere between 5:30-7:30pm. She said the plane flies pretty low and it will make a few passes.

We need to book it by tomorrow morning, and we need to figure out exactly what it should say!

RonPaul2008.com
Got Liberty? Goto:www.ronpaul2008.com

OTHER IDEAS??? We have to act fast.

ReneInMiami
06-27-2007, 06:33 PM
what do you all think?

angrydragon
06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I like the vote smart message.

VOTE SMART WWW.RONPAUL2008.COM

BravoSix
06-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I like the vote smart message.

VOTES SMART WWW.RONPAUL2008.COM

I agree. Something short and to the point.

Brian

CJLauderdale4
06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Great Job, Mani!!

I'm open to your Got Liberty? or angrydragon's VOTE SMART phrase...

Either one - I love it!!

hroos
06-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Looks good. If someone wants to go ahead and book that one hour to start us up than my all means go ahead. We've got even in pledges. Just call me at (305) 300-7237 to confirm with me the preparations (I don't want two of you going off any scheduling things at two different companies).

Slogans are:
VOTE SMART www.RONPAUL2008.com
Got Liberty? www.RONPAUL2008.com

Show you support for the slogans and your pledges... let's get this started.

hroos
06-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Phil Blumel says: "I’ll bring $40 to the Marlins game"

So pledges are now $480 total (we need $575)...

Just $95 to go!

hroos
06-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I just got another pledge from RonPaulGetsIt for $40. He's in NJ and mailing me a check! :D Gotta love patriots! Just $40 more to go. (Mani pitched in the extra $15).

hroos
06-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I am for the "Vote Smart" www.RonPaul2008.com

ReneInMiami
06-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Is anyone concerned that 6 pm is too late for flying over the beach???

Mani
06-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Is anyone concerned that 6 pm is too late for flying over the beach???

Don't they have fireworks there? If so, I think the crowd would start gathering on the beach around 6pm or earlier. It doesn't get dark until 8:30pm, I think the fireworks start around 9pm right?

Check it out! There's going to be a concert on the beach and a swearing in ceremony for newly-naturalized citizens. Perfect audience.

http://www.nbc6.net/family/13493933/detail.html

City of Miami Beach Fourth Of July Celebration

A live concert, spectacular fireworks show and a special ceremony featuring children from around the world highlight this Fourth of July celebration.

WHEN: July 4, 2007

WHERE: 8th Street & Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, Fla.

The City of Miami Beach and the North Beach Development Corporation will hold its 17th Annual 4th of July celebration on the beach.

This year's celebration will be bigger than ever before. It will begin at 7:00 p.m. with the swearing in ceremony for newly-naturalized citizens (children from all parts of the world). A live concert and spectacular fireworks show will follow.

For more information, visit www.miamibeachfl.gov or call 305-673-7400.

From Miami Beach's site:
The City of Miami Beach proudly presents its annual Fourth of July patriotic celebration of music and fireworks. The event is free and open to the public. Everyone is encouraged to arrive early, bring beach chairs, and towels. No coolers or bottles will be permitted on the beach. 7:30 p.m.

hroos
06-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Mani confirmed the arrangement with the aerial advertising company. We'll hear more from him later but we arranged the flight to be over Miami Beach for 1 hr (sometime between 5:30-7:30PM) on July the 4th.

It is also summer and the sun goes down later. I checked weather.com and it states that the sundown is at 8:16 PM. And yes, fireworks begin promptly at 9PM.

We also need someone in Miami Beach to film the flight to post on the web. RP supporters not going to the Young Republicans Convention to record aerial ad...

ReneInMiami
06-28-2007, 10:57 AM
It would be a good idea to be there and distribute flyers on the beach. You can count me in for that.

My vote is with "Vote Smart" but I would leave out the "www." especially if they charge us by the letter.

I think "Vote Smart - RonPaul2008.com" would be sufficient.

hroos
06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Remember if you are going to plan something at the beach than you are not going to the Young Republicans Convention rally... that's cool. Just wanted to let you know.

hroos
06-28-2007, 06:19 PM
If anyone cannot attend the RP Rally at the Young Republicans Convention on July 4th a definite alternative is passing out flyers at the Miami Beach 4th of July event shown above. When I saw that they are also having a naturalization ceremony I go bingo! That probably means press too. So if you are interest let the forum know.

Mani
06-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Just a little housekeeping everyone. Is this accurate? Everyone who's local will be attending the Marlins game Saturday?

BravoSix are you local? If not, you can mail me a check or paypal, just PM me and I'll go over the details. Same with RonPaulGetsIt, just PM me, unless you already mailed a check to Hector, then I'll just work it out through him.

Amt Name

$40 Dean (BigSauce) -- will arrange
$40 Carl (CJLauderdale4) -- will arrange
$40 Phil Blumel -- will arrange
$40 (ReneInMiami) -- will arrange
$40 Jorge -- PAID
$40 Mani -- PAID
$40 Will -- PAID
$40 Darwin -- PAID
$40 (RonPaulGetsIt) --PAID
$40 Hector (hroos) -- PAID thru paypal
$40 (BravoSix) -- PAID thru paypal
$20 (Hamadeh) -- PAID thru paypal
------
$460

ReneInMiami
06-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I am out of town until Tuesday the 3rd.

Mani
06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I am out of town until Tuesday the 3rd.

I work in Coral Gables, so if you are in South Miami, I'm sure we could work something out pretty easy.

CJLauderdale4
06-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Mani, I cannot make the game, but i will be at the rally. I can pay you there. Cool??

ReneInMiami
07-01-2007, 08:01 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am in New Orleans until Tuesday, July 3rd. I have pledged $40 for the airplane banner, so please let me know when/where to turn in the $$$$

Also, I am filming the plane and passing out flyers on Miami Beach. Can anyone edit the video and post it online? And where can I get flyers?

Mani
07-01-2007, 10:52 AM

I am in New Orleans until Tuesday, July 3rd. I have pledged $40 for the airplane banner, so please let me know when/where to turn in the $$$$

Also, I am filming the plane and passing out flyers on Miami Beach. Can anyone edit the video and post it online? And where can I get flyers?

Rene,

You can pay me directly on the 3rd or 5th. Give me a call and we'll set up a time to meet. I'm not sure who has flyers, you might try Dean (BigSauce).

BravoSix
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Mani-

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I just saw your question for me.

I'm not local. I'm up in Gainesville. I just PM'd you about paying through PayPal.

CJLauderdale4
07-03-2007, 08:04 PM
I'll have 500 flyers and 500 business cards to hand out.
Also, I'll be selling (due to the personal cost) some yard signs and bumper stickers for a few dollars.

Can't wait!!!

JorgeV
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Should have known it ALWAYS rains after 4 o'clock in the summer. The day was perfect all day, beach was full of people. It is dead now. I had to come in cos it was pouring rain, but it might stop in a little bit. I am very skeptical of flying the banner at this time in this weather.

JorgeV
07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I grade that company a big fat D.

Here are the results of our aerial campaign...

When they say 1 hour, that includes the time it takes them to get to south beach and leave it. I would say the banner was visible from south beach for a total of 25-30 minutes. Starting at 6:45, he did 3 fly-bys, each time starting from a place higher and higher up on south beach. There was hardly anybody on the beach, but the most crowded area was around 6-7th streets. The first fly-by started around 5th street, went up to about 20th and then he came around. For the second fly-by, he turned and started right in that group of people at 7th street, then went back up to 20th and came around 1 more time. The third and final fly-by, I had to run a few blocks north cos I noticed that he didn't even get down to 7th where all the people were, this time he turned around on 9th in the most barren part of the beach where there was hardly anybody. He headed up the beach and never turned back. He had disappeared by 7:15

There were 3 banners in total that showed up at the same time, 6:45. Ours was without a doubt the smallest, not nearly as easy to read as the other two. As well, our pilot was the furthest away from the beach. The other two flew very close to the shoreline while ours was out a good distance. Since the sign was smaller than the others it did not 'jump out at you' as well as the others.

I had some problems with my video camera so I didn't get very good shots. It was further away and smaller than I was expecting and I had to run up the beach just to catch up with it since he didn't go all the way down the beach.

I did manage to get a decent shot on that last fly-by... I'll compress it and put it on YouTube tonight.

My suggestions for future aerial campaigns... use another company, ask them to verify how long they will actually be on south beach and make sure they do it early in the day before the clouds come.

JorgeV
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VF9hFjJeEA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VF9hFjJeEA)

Spirit of '76
07-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear it was so disappointing.

Do you have a contract or something that stated the sign would be visible for an hour? Or maybe just a verbal contract to that effect?

Perhaps you can get the money back. :confused:

Mani
07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Sorry to hear it was so disappointing.

Do you have a contract or something that stated the sign would be visible for an hour? Or maybe just a verbal contract to that effect?

Perhaps you can get the money back. :confused:

They did say 1 hour is from take off to landing. I'm just wondering if the people at the concert and citizenship ceremony saw it. It rained pretty badly beforehand, but I know it stopped raining before the banner was scheduled to go up.

i can see from the video it was pretty barren, but I'm sure there were a lot of people at the citizenship ceremony.

JorgeV
07-05-2007, 10:30 AM
trust me, nobody saw it. i walked by the place that they had the ceremony.... it was closer to ocean drive and everyone was facing the south, not the shore. as well, our plane was waaaay off-shore. i can show you videos i took of other planes and they were right in front of me with huge banners.

i have had several friends that were further north tell me that by the time the plane got up there he was so far off shore that you could hardly see it. those guys are very, very bad. you should tell them that we are very displeased.

if we ever do it again, i insist that we use a different company. if 600 is much cheaper than the others, we now know why.

bigsauce
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
I think we should get Dr. Mike's laywyer to sue - that's pathetic...$600???? No way

Mani
07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
trust me, nobody saw it. i walked by the place that they had the ceremony.... it was closer to ocean drive and everyone was facing the south, not the shore. as well, our plane was waaaay off-shore. i can show you videos i took of other planes and they were right in front of me with huge banners.

i have had several friends that were further north tell me that by the time the plane got up there he was so far off shore that you could hardly see it. those guys are very, very bad. you should tell them that we are very displeased.

if we ever do it again, i insist that we use a different company. if 600 is much cheaper than the others, we now know why.

It was $450-$460, but that's disappointing to hear the main crowd wasn't there to see it, and he was so far away.

Mani
07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Just a little housekeeping everyone. Is this accurate? Everyone who's local will be attending the Marlins game Saturday?

BravoSix are you local? If not, you can mail me a check or paypal, just PM me and I'll go over the details. Same with RonPaulGetsIt, just PM me, unless you already mailed a check to Hector, then I'll just work it out through him.

Amt Name

$40 Dean (BigSauce) -- will arrange
$40 Phil Blumel -- will arrange
$40 (ReneInMiami) -- will arrange
$40 Jorge -- PAID
$40 Mani -- PAID
$40 Will -- PAID
$40 Darwin -- PAID
------
$460

Just a reminder I have a few people who haven't paid yet.

I also found another banner company. Next time we do this, we'll do it a bit differently. We'll raise funds beforehand, we'll then pick the place and time, and have a message planned. If we do a question like "Who is Ron Paul?" or "Google Ron Paul" we'll have people on the ground handing out flyers, to answer that question.

Mani
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I know the banner didn't work out perfect, we were under the gun with timing, but honestly when you look at the youtube there are a bunch of comments on there with people thinking it's a great idea and they want to do it in their communities.

So if we have people copycatting our effort and even if a few people saw it, then it was still worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VF9hFjJeEA

http://www.ronpaulforums.com./showthread.php?t=5914&highlight=airplane

hroos
07-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Just a quick update. I paid $83 to the paypal and covered RonPaulGetsIt's part (he sent me his payment). We just about there now.

Mani
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Just a quick update. I paid $83 to the paypal and covered RonPaulGetsIt's part (he sent me his payment). We just about there now.

This is the current list:

$40 Phil Blumel -- PAID
$40 Jorge -- PAID
$40 Mani -- PAID
$40 Will -- PAID
$40 Darwin -- PAID
$40 (ReneInMiami) -- PAID thru paypal
$40 Dean (BigSauce) -- PAID thru paypal
------
$460

ReneInMiami
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
OK, just paid thru Paypal.

Mani
07-10-2007, 03:49 PM
OK, just paid thru Paypal.
Got it thanks!!

Mani
07-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Hector do you have Phil's contact information? I don't have it.

hroos
07-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Phil, as in Phil Blumel? I don't have his contact info but he can be reached through his meetup.com group.

Mani
08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Carl, got your check yesterday. Everyone has paid for this event!