PDA

View Full Version : Rep Tom Graves Questions Patriot Act Signature Constitutionality

angelatc
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Apparently the Bush administration got the Bush administrations legal department to determine that it was ok if the President didn't really sign bills to turn them into law. Instead, they could use a robopen, which provides a reasonable facsimile of the President's signature.

Robo-Obama signed the extension of the Patriot Act causing a Representative from GA to question the legality of the practice. And yes, Rep Graves voted against the Patriot Act.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/163683-gop-rep-questions-obamas-use-of-autopen-in-signing-patriot-act

specsaregood
05-27-2011, 12:40 PM
i questioned the same damn thing, seems totally go against the constitutional intent, IMHO.

JK/SEA
05-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Could've had one of the kids sign it. Good to go.

belian78
05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Well yeah, think about it. If this is deemed acceptable, what's to stop those that would 'sign' legislation into law and avoid the congress and president all together?

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Well yeah, think about it. If this is deemed acceptable, what's to stop those that would 'sign' legislation into law and avoid the congress and president all together?

Bureaucrats make laws all the time all ready. You think SCROTUS is going to do anything about that...or Congress...or the Executive? Ha -- they are the ones directing more authority to these unelected, sycophantic, liberty and market destroying agents.

A Son of Liberty
05-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Isn't it time we just dispense with all these formalities and superstitions, and get on with the overt fascist regime?

Serves us right for thinking a piece of parchment "enshrines" our liberties.

specsaregood
05-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Could've had one of the kids sign it. Good to go.

I would think the intent of the actual signature would be to require the President to actually READ and approve the bill he is signing. Accepting this kind of bullshit seems like it would be rather easy to "switch" the legislation and get the presidents signature upons something that he didn't actually approve.

low preference guy
05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
i questioned the same damn thing, seems totally go against the constitutional intent, IMHO.

I agree, but this could be a good precedent to have the autopen sign tens of thousands if not millions of pardons by Dr. Paul. Then they'll declare it unconstitutional.

specsaregood
05-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree, but this could be a good precedent to have the autopen sign tens of thousands if not millions of pardons by Dr. Paul. Then they'll declare it unconstitutional.

Damn genius thinking there ^.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to low preference guy again."