PDA

View Full Version : Why Rand Paul's PATRIOT Act stand mattered (By The Atlantic)

BamaFanNKy
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/05/rand-pauls-stand-against-the-patriot-act/239553/

Lucille
05-26-2011, 05:40 PM
He has made a powerful argument to the public, fulfilled his oath to protect and defend the Constitution by acting against what he regards to be violations of it, and succeeded in getting Senators on record opposing specific reforms.

That matters.

Should additional abuses come to light, we'll know these senators bear responsibility for failing to stop them. And when they next run for re-election, their challengers will be able to tell voters exactly where they stand. Representative democracy depends on legislators taking these stands, and Paul made it happen.

That's right.

Ekrub
05-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Rand = Neo-Con ;)

PermanentSleep
05-26-2011, 06:14 PM
That's gonna be one rough pill for Dems to swallow...Rand is their civil liberties hero, deep deep deep down inside, beneath all of their hatred and rage. muahaha. :collins:

ItsTime
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
^ Read the huffpo comments and they are swallowing that pill hard! Rand came out as the good guy on this one!

KurtBoyer25L
05-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Time, which HuffPo article do you speak of?

sailingaway
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
That's gonna be one rough pill for Dems to swallow...Rand is their civil liberties hero, deep deep deep down inside, beneath all of their hatred and rage. muahaha. :collins:

One person on TPMDC was saying how Feingold voted against it without all the other terrible positions Rand has.... I pointed out that Feingold let it be extended last year by unanimous consent, and had Rand done that, there would have been no debate or vote at all --- again.

amy31416
05-26-2011, 07:17 PM

I read some of the comments on the liberal blogs, and some of those fools are criticizing Rand for "wanting the terrorists to have guns."

QueenB4Liberty
05-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I read some of the comments on the liberal blogs, and some of those fools are criticizing Rand for "wanting the terrorists to have guns."

lmfao what idiots.

Johncjackson
05-26-2011, 09:57 PM
I've honestly been very skeptical of Rand Paul. As a supporter of Ron, I really thought Rand was different ( in a negative way).

Rand is my favorite dude in the world now.

wgadget
05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
I think it's great that RAND PAUL and RON PAUL are easily confused by the typical voter. RAND is working some high-profile overtime on RON's campaign, without even knowing it.

I can just hear NRA-types saying, "I'm gonna vote for RON PAUL, cuz he's taking a stand against taking our gun rights away."

: )

Kylie
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I've honestly been very skeptical of Rand Paul. As a supporter of Ron, I really thought Rand was different ( in a negative way).

Rand is my favorite dude in the world now.

I think Rand plays the game.

Some of us will do that, some of us won't.

Depends on how well you can deal with the bullshit. I, in particular, have no tolerance for the bullshit.

But mileage may vary.

PermanentSleep
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
One person on TPMDC was saying how Feingold voted against it without all the other terrible positions Rand has.... I pointed out that Feingold let it be extended last year by unanimous consent, and had Rand done that, there would have been no debate or vote at all --- again.

+rep

devil21
06-01-2011, 04:06 PM
^ Read the huffpo comments and they are swallowing that pill hard! Rand came out as the good guy on this one!

I just looked at a couple of them and HuffPo is so crawling with partisan lefties that the positive comments were few and far between. Some seemed to have a form of brain lockup where they agreed with Rand but....couldn't....say......anything....positive.. .....must.....think....like.......Rachel....Maddow .......head......exploding....

Pericles
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I just looked at a couple of them and HuffPo is so crawling with partisan lefties that the positive comments were few and far between. Some seemed to have a form of brain lockup where they agreed with Rand but....couldn't....say......anything....positive.. .....must.....think....like.......Rachel....Maddow .......head......exploding....

That is what makes me LMAO and then cry. They are into the friends and enemies meme and friends can do anything and be OK, while enemies are always evil, even when they have the same position on an issue.:rolleyes:

devil21
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
That is what makes me LMAO and then cry. They are into the friends and enemies meme and friends can do anything and be OK, while enemies are always evil, even when they have the same position on an issue.:rolleyes:

It seems like there are also, what I call "designated partisans" that seem to make it their forum job to herd anybody that has anything good to say about the "other side" back into the partisan trap with a divisive comment, "reminding" anyone why they shouldn't actually like anything anybody on the other side has to say, even when they agree!

Napoleon's Shadow
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/05/rand-pauls-stand-against-the-patriot-act/239553/
Exactly.

Rand gets himself on record in the right positions, but even more importantly, he can hold the entire Senate accountable in many situations where they wouldn't have held themselves accountable.

They want to do nothing because that is safe and means an easy reelection. They don't want to go on record because then they might contradict themselves, or take a position that might be unpopular later on down the road. Rand is shattering their safety zone and getting these guys to show themselves for who they really are. The voting record is where the rubber meets the road and the goal is to get them on record either for or against liberty so that you can then use it to defeat them next time around. He is giving us a lot of ammo (figuratively of course) to use in upcoming elections against most of these people.