PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Sen. Rand Paul Delays Renewal of Patriot Act Provisions

Lucille
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Sen. Rand Paul Delays Renewal of Patriot Act Provisions (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/05/26/sen-rand-paul-delays-renewal-of-patriot-act-provisions/)

Sen. Rand Paul has single-handedly stopped the extension of three key provisions of the Patriot Act until after they expire at midnight Thursday. Unless he folds.

The Senate voted to end debate on the measure, but Sen. Paul, a Kentucky Republican, is insisting the Senate debate the measure for a full 30 hours, which would extend beyond the midnight expiration. Mr. Paul’s tactic is procedural: By not agreeing to a request for unanimous consent to yield back debate time, he can insist the debate continues until 7a.m. Friday, past the midnight expiration of the provisions. Mr. Paul, a libertarian who opposes the Patriot Act, could change course and allow a vote before the provisions expire.

Senior lawmakers of both parties have urged the passage of the expiring provisions before the deadline, as have top figures in the U.S. intelligence community. The Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper said in a letter to Senate leaders there could be serious repercussions for law enforcement’s ability to continue its surveillance efforts if the measures expire.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Mr. Paul’s fellow Kentucky Republican, also expressed dismay at the delay in a Senate floor speech Thursday morning, saying that it is “absolutely imperative” that the Patriot Act provisions are renewed. ”Nothing in this extension has ever been found to be unconstitutional,” he said. “And most of these authorities haven’t even been challenged in court — ever.”

Imperative my foot. And screw the statist judiciary.

Restore our Bill of Rights NOW!

Chester Copperpot
05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Sen. Rand Paul Delays Renewal of Patriot Act Provisions (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/05/26/sen-rand-paul-delays-renewal-of-patriot-act-provisions/)

Imperative my foot. And screw the statist judiciary.

Restore our Bill of Rights NOW!
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Mr. Paul’s fellow Kentucky Republican, also expressed dismay at the delay in a Senate floor speech Thursday morning, saying that it is “absolutely imperative” that the Patriot Act provisions are renewed. ”Nothing in this extension has ever been found to be unconstitutional,” he said. “And most of these authorities haven’t even been challenged in court — ever.”

What a douche... cant you read english Mitch? Its blatantly over the top unconstitutional.

Gonna hide behind the phony SCOTUS who wont rule on the Patriot Act though eh?

Fuck this guy.;.

somebody run against this fuck.... Jack conway couldnt be worse

Krugerrand
05-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Not sure on Senate rules and procedures ... but it would cool if the senators that don't want the bill to pass could stick around until everybody else leaves for the day ... then Rand could yield back debate time when only the nay votes were there to vote on it.

Pericles
05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

What a douche... cant you read english Mitch? Its blatantly over the top unconstitutional.

Gonna hide behind the phony SCOTUS who wont rule on the Patriot Act though eh?

[omitted]

Yeah - you can't challenge it unless you have standing to sue. You have to show how it harmed you in order to have standing to sue.

And you can't show harm, because whether or not you are one of the persons targeted is a secret.

Isn't it neat how that works?

Captain America
05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Rand better not fold.

BamaFanNKy
05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Rand better not fold.

Not happening.

Chester Copperpot
05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Not happening.

i dont even want them to vote.. just filibuster... let the damned thing expire..

it dies at 12:00am tonight

we should have a party

light fireworks everything

Anti Federalist
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
”Nothing in this extension has ever been found to be unconstitutional,” he said. “And most of these authorities haven’t even been challenged in court — ever.”

Color me unimpressed Mitch.

The SCROTUS just gutted the 4th Amendment last week, so I'm not looking for relief from that quarter.

sailingaway
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
It allows comments, no email necessary. Be thoughtful and persuasive!

sailingaway
05-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Color me unimpressed Mitch.

The SCROTUS just gutted the 4th Amendment last week, so I'm not looking for relief from that quarter.

Nothing in the Constitution says their oath of office only applies if the Supreme Court strikes something down.

iGGz
05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
If you support your civil rights and those of your fellow citizens, which Senator Paul is trying to protect with his amendments, then please contact your Senators (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm ) and/or Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell at (202) 224-2541 and Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl at (202) 224-4521 and urge them to support Senator Paul’s efforts.

I called it only took a second.

iGGz
05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
And why the hell isn't there anything about this on Drudge? Everyone should submit it.

gls
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
And why the hell isn't there anything about this on Drudge? Everyone should submit it.

An article from RCP is on there, left-column about halfway down: "Reid likens Rand Paul to terrorist..."

amonasro
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah - you can't challenge it unless you have standing to sue. You have to show how it harmed you in order to have standing to sue.

And you can't show harm, because whether or not you are one of the persons targeted is a secret.

Isn't it neat how that works?

Really good point. You should post this in the comments section of the article.

iGGz
05-26-2011, 12:49 PM
An article from RCP is on there, left-column about halfway down: "Reid likens Rand Paul to terrorist..."

Thanks I see that now. Great title for it.... not something like "Rand Paul defends Americans" lol

Pericles
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Really good point. You should post this in the comments section of the article.
OK

dean.engelhardt
05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Mr. Paul, a libertarian who opposes the Patriot Act

It is amazing that when you stand up for civil liberties your political party disowns you.

steph3n
05-26-2011, 02:12 PM
NSLs are so shrouded the prevent you from talking about it to anyone at all....