PDA

View Full Version : Senate Minority Leader Reid: "We killed the Patriot Act."

Brett85
05-25-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBP91gvs8wI

Dingy Harry hated the Patriot Act back when Bush was President. But he loves the Patriot Act now that Obama is President.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-25-2011, 09:54 PM
What? What?

When did he kill the Patriot Act in 2006? How did I miss that?

And how the heck did it get resurrected?

Brett85
05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
What? What?

When did he kill the Patriot Act in 2006? How did I miss that?

And how the heck did it get resurrected?

The Democrats along with about 5 Republicans filibustered the Patriot Act back in 2006. They made some slight improvements to it and then passed it.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I'll be damned - I found the story:

WALLACE: Senator, is that really something to celebrate?

REID: Of course it is. The fact is that I voted for the original Patriot Act. It was the right thing to do. And the Patriot Act that I talked about there, at least some semblance of it, came out of the Judiciary Committee in the Senate unanimously. It passed the Senate unanimously. It was an improvement over what we had.

It was sent to the House of Representatives and came back in a fashion that I thought was very bad, as did a bipartisan group of Senators. Now, keep in mind what we're talking about. Two thousand and three, New Year's Eve in Las Vegas. Hundreds of thousands of people come to Las Vegas. And do you know that those people that came to Las Vegas had their credit cards looked at, they had what rooms they stayed in, what cars they rented.

Now, what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, but not in this instance. It's in some federal data bank. That's what the Patriot Act is doing to the American people. And we have to make sure that big brother doesn't take over this country.

And yes, I think it was good for the American people that we stopped that conference report. It was a good thing we did it, and the president of the United States has a responsibility of extending this. We've agreed to extend this for three months.

To think that this is as important as it is — and I voted for the original Patriot Act — that he's going to let it expire — a bipartisan group of senators defeated cloture on this, because it was not a bill that's good for the American people.

I found this too, of course:

In March of 2006, congress reauthorized the USA PATRIOT Act. Despite the fact that the PATRIOT Act had become a controversial topic, only 4 Senators opposed the act in the actual vote. Harry Reid voted in favor of the USA PATRIOT Reauthorization Act.

jmdrake
05-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Just like the democrats were against preemptive wars when Bush was in office and now Obama has started a preemptive war and is aiding Al Qaeda in Libya.

acptulsa
05-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Ted Rall's most recent column is a scathing indictment of Obamabots. I think a great many of the liberals can finally see that their emperors have no clothes.

Aratus
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
barry h. obama = JFK
afganistan = 'nam
ron paul = a wise choise