PDA

View Full Version : Needy Seniors or Greedy Geezers? -- Stossel In The Classroom

JCLibertarian
05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtI6ZVOzWqQ

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Greedy Geezers.

thasre
05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Let's see... old people who vote but don't work versus young people who don't vote but do work.

Yep, it's pretty obvious who the politicians are going to favor and who they're going to rip off.

lx43
05-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Half the people vote for a living, the other half work for a living. Seniors have become the half that vote for a living and THINK they have a right to retire because they have reached a certain age.

I wish there was a politician that would allow people to opt out of Social Security and Medicare; in fact allow us to opt out of the whole damn thing. That way the people who choose to opt-out can't have their money stolen from them by those who vote for a living. It gives you veto power of the President/Congress.

pcosmar
05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Half the people vote for a living, the other half work for a living. Seniors have become the half that vote for a living and THINK they have a right to retire because they have reached a certain age.

I wish there was a politician that would allow people to opt out of Social Security and Medicare; in fact allow us to opt out of the whole damn thing. That way the people who choose to opt-out can't have their money stolen from them by those who vote for a living. It gives you veto power of the President/Congress.

it would have been nice to not have had SS TAX to pay for the last 40 years.

My wife collects a monthly check. It ain't fuckin' much. But that along with her part time job we are surviving ( at poverty levels)
And since she had payed into it for 50 years, I have no problem with her drawing some out.

It is not her fault the SS was mishandled and the money sent on other things. It is not her fault that SS exists and that her money was taken for 50 years.

Let's see... old people who vote but don't work versus young people who don't vote but do work.

Yep, it's pretty obvious who the politicians are going to favor and who they're going to rip off.

That would be everyone. They have apparently been ripping me off a lot longer than you.
And what makes you think that old folks aren't working?
A great many on SS still need to work to make ends meet.

Rothbardian Girl
05-25-2011, 08:49 PM
I have no problem with elderly people getting back the money they have paid into the fraudulent system. The people who came before them, who implemented or supported these programs in the first place, definitely should have been more mindful of the long-term consequences. However, I definitely do not want to pay for other people and then have nothing left over for my generation. As a young person, I would definitely be interested in opting out of this massive scam in the first place. Unfortunately, few voices of reason are listening to the younger generation's pleas.

I do think there is a certain degree of selfishness going on here, but I'm not sure if I can blame a lot of older people for it - they do not yet realize they are victims of the system in the first place. Are they greedy? Maybe, but it's pretty understandable given the situation.

Carehn
05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Even they will fell the next couple of years. The greedy geezers will see an end to the free loot for sher. They go to the DR. and then complain about the price of gas on the way. What justice!!!

lx43
05-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Truthfully I feel the system should start to phased out by first cutting off people like Warren Buffett from recieving any benefits, raise the retirment age by 1/4 of year each year, and allowing young people to opt-out.

pcosmar
05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Truthfully I feel the system should start to phased out by first cutting off people like Warren Buffett from recieving any benefits, raise the retirment age by 1/4 of year each year, and allowing young people to opt-out.

You do realize that they have raised the age of eligibility several times,,right.
Do you have any Idea how hard it is for a 54 year old man to even be considered for a job (God knows I would love one)
Now try applying for work at 70.

outspoken
05-25-2011, 09:07 PM
We are all slaves and it is those most dependent on the system who will resist the most to accepting this fundamental truth; many would choose death over acceptance that they are an advocate for violence of their fellow man to serve themselves. When those who are forced to subsidize the 'rights' of other truly wake up, it won't be pretty. This whole BS system pits races, generations, and social classes against each other. Who knows, maybe that is the way those who are in charge want it...

lx43
05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
You do realize that they have raised the age of eligibility several times,,right.
Do you have any Idea how hard it is for a 54 year old man to even be considered for a job (God knows I would love one)
Now try applying for work at 70.

I disagree, it maybe be tough but there are jobs out there or you may need new skill set or re-training when the field you use to work in is no longer what it was. I recently brought a 68 year old on my staff over many younger people, not to mention I have have other senior citizens working for me.

Also, thats why you save/invest for future.

pcosmar
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Who knows, maybe that is the way those who are in charge want it...

I suspect so.
I really don't expect to see any SS, I have 10 years to go.
My wife is older than me. She collects a monthly check based on what she had paid in for many years.
It would not be enough to live on by any stretch of imagination.
hell, it's less than folks get on welfare.

pcosmar
05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Also, thats why you save/invest for future.

I have been looking for work for over 4 years. At least I am not paying income tax.

But as far as investment. My home and land is payed for. It would be nice to be able to buy heating fuel though.

http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2009/08/employment-woes.html
http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2009/08/employment-woes.html
And I take any work I find,
http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2007/10/back-to-grind.html
http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html