PDA

View Full Version : Pink pork won't kill you according to the USDA

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 06:55 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/pink-pork-wont-kill-you-according-to-the-usda-2488054/

I thought the title was catchy.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service has lowered its temperature recommendation for cooking pork to 145 degrees -- down from 160. (This means that pork will be held to the same standard as beef, veal, and lamb.)

It's so nice to have these agencies looking out for our well being. I'm surprised I'm even allowed to cook my own food. Oh the risk!

mommaliberty
05-25-2011, 06:58 AM
ugh disgusting!

Cowlesy
05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
We do pork loin on the grill to 130 degrees, take it off, it continues to cook on the serving plate up to about 140 and when you slice it up, it has just a mild pink hew to it and man is it good!

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 07:15 AM
We do pork loin on the grill to 130 degrees, take it off, it continues to cook on the serving plate up to about 140 and when you slice it up, it has just a mild pink hew to it and man is it good!

PLEASE - tell me you didn't do that before the USDA said it was okay! I swear on the CYS swat team that I hope you didn't serve it to children!

Cowlesy
05-25-2011, 07:17 AM
PLEASE - tell me you didn't do that before the USDA said it was okay! I swear on the CYS swat team that I hope you didn't serve it to children!

What is the USDA???

Meatwasp
05-25-2011, 08:25 AM
It used to be very dangerous to eat uncooked pork, as they were fed on garbage. We are told bears carry trichinosis also.

TonySutton
05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I have been eating pink pork or years. White pork is dry and only good if you smother it in bbq, which can be really good :) especially NC bbq!

pcosmar
05-25-2011, 09:46 AM
What is the USDA???

A threat to my existence.

oyarde
05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
How many degrees does it take to kill the trich ??

dannno
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
It won't kill you, but I had some slow-cooked bbq pork one time from a famous place in TN that was delicious when it went down, not so delicious 6 hours later when it came up. It came wrapped in aluminum foil, I was under the impression they cooked it in there too. Mine must have been on the edge or something not getting as much heat.

gtjarruda
05-25-2011, 03:13 PM
How many degrees does it take to kill the trich ??

135 as far as I know, so I've always cooked pork to around 140. More than that, and it starts to get toooo dry

MelissaWV
05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
135 as far as I know, so I've always cooked pork to around 140. More than that, and it starts to get toooo dry

As Cowlesy pointed out, though, you're cooking it to more than that while it rests. You can stop earlier and just leave it to continue cooking "to temperature" over time.

dannno I doubt the culprit was the pork itself being undercooked. It might have been cooked some time ago, stored improperly, handled improperly, or a combination of those. It was more likely one of your sides (cross-contamination is way more dangerous than undercooked pork or beef) than the pork.

I Don't Vote
05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Pink pork is fucking awesome.

Try this out:

Brine

1/2 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
palmful black peppercorns

Pork

1 1/2 -2 inch thick pork chops

Heat all brine ingredients until salt and sugar are melted. Cool down and put in refrigerator until cold. Place pork chops in brine and refrigerate 24hrs. Grill until pink in the center. Rest 6 min. Pork will be slightly pink in the center. Eat.

dannno
05-25-2011, 04:34 PM
dannno I doubt the culprit was the pork itself being undercooked. It might have been cooked some time ago, stored improperly, handled improperly, or a combination of those. It was more likely one of your sides (cross-contamination is way more dangerous than undercooked pork or beef) than the pork.

It's possible, I suppose.. I mean, I won't eat steak or prime rib unless it's high quality, medium rare or less cooked, but I used to have some BAAAD experiences with chicken as a kid. My parents would buy pre-made fried chicken from the grocery store a lot.. and every single god damn time they did, I would eat a drum stick, get to the center, and see a little tiny bit of pink, not on the meat so much as right on the bone. Next morning I would have a really bad stomach ache and diarrhea, every time.. It could have been from Vons, Ralphs, doesn't matter. Could have happened in 1991 or 1996, didn't matter. My parents never got sick. It was baffling. Never got sick from KFC. It did get me out of a couple hours of school in the mornings, tho.

acptulsa
05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I guess this is proof that teh jooz haven't completely taken over the government because that just ain't kosher.

And you can cook pork white without it getting too dry. Marinate/baste it with pear juice.

oyarde
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
It's possible, I suppose.. I mean, I won't eat steak or prime rib unless it's high quality, medium rare or less cooked, but I used to have some BAAAD experiences with chicken as a kid. My parents would buy pre-made fried chicken from the grocery store a lot.. and every single god damn time they did, I would eat a drum stick, get to the center, and see a little tiny bit of pink, not on the meat so much as right on the bone. Next morning I would have a really bad stomach ache and diarrhea, every time.. It could have been from Vons, Ralphs, doesn't matter. Could have happened in 1991 or 1996, didn't matter. My parents never got sick. It was baffling. Never got sick from KFC. It did get me out of a couple hours of school in the mornings, tho.

I used to chew on raw bacon when I was a kid .....

heavenlyboy34
05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I guess this is proof that teh jooz haven't completely taken over the government because that just ain't kosher.

And you can cook pork white without it getting too dry. Marinate/baste it with pear juice.

Shake n' Bake is good for that, too. :)

Agorism
05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Taenia solium is another parasite you can get from uncooked pork.

Golding
05-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Taenia solium is another parasite you can get from uncooked pork.Indeed, but the majority of people who contract Taenia solium don't get it from uncooked pork. On this side of the oceans, it's more widespread in Mexico, and infection comes largely from unwashed fruits and vegetables. Pig fertilizer and all...

Anyhow, I'm not too bothered by the USDA making recommendations. Let them recommend, as long as it's not enforced by law...

Bodhi
06-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I eat "pink pork" all the time, I cook it more or less like I cook a steak (just a bit longer). Pork that is still a little pink is awesome and costs much less than beef but to me is nearly as good. Pork that is cooked until it is white is tough and dry, no bueno.