PDA

View Full Version : Woman with Scissors Killed by Fort Worth Police

Dustancostine
05-25-2011, 12:25 AM
http://www.theeagle.com/texas/Woman-with-scissors-killed-by-Fort-Worth-police

Don't call the police, you are putting your life in danger.

aGameOfThrones
05-25-2011, 01:04 AM
http://www.theeagle.com/texas/Woman-with-scissors-killed-by-Fort-Worth-police

Don't call the police, you are putting your life in danger.

Shot and tasered!

Criado says Burris refused to put down the scissors and was shot when she headed toward an officer. Criado says a second offer deployed his Taser on the woman.

Gun + taser VS scissor... hmm...

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Spokesman Sgt. Pedro Criado says family members summoned help, telling police that Burris had threatened to harm herself and other relatives.

I'm just fucking numb anymore...do I really need to say it again?

What say you RPFs?

Think the "family members" that called the cops for help with an obviously distraught woman wanted to see her cut to ribbons and tazed to death in front of their eyes?

AFPVet
05-25-2011, 01:53 AM
This makes me sick.... If I was the responding officer, I would have moved to de-escalate the situation rather than jump on the UOF continuum. Words are very effective. If they were not successful, I would use pepper... speaking of which, we never hear about pepper spray anymore... why is that? I never carried a taser and even questioned my LE refresher instructor on the use of tasers for reasons of medical complications.

ARGH! Anyway, there are ways to end conflict without resulting to force. The subject should've been committed for 48 hours—not shot. SOB... this shit is really pissing me off as an ex-cop.

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 06:21 AM
All this negative talk about the cops. Nobody stops to appreciate that they stopped her from hurting herself. :rolleyes::eek:

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Once again - public humiliation. Stick to the facts so that there are no slander issues involved. Plus, it's probably best to set up some sort of anonymous group to sponsor it so that the family of the victims cannot be harassed. (Not that that would happen!)

http://i52.tinypic.com/211xlt.jpg

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 01:13 PM
bump, because I like my billboard.

heavenlyboy34
05-25-2011, 01:23 PM
wow :eek: I wonder how hard this cop's wrist will be slapped for this.

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 01:30 PM
From another site:

f/u c/k all of yal. my mom didnt threaten or come at cops with the scissors. she had them to her own throat..
http://www.woai.com/user/default.aspx?id=ruw4tk5_6EqKbewV-QESzA

belian78
05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Fucking bizzaro world here.... They care about you so much, they will shoot and taze you to stop you from killing yourself.

Krugerrand
05-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Here's a defender of the cops:
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/24/3099724/fort-worth-woman-threatening-officer.html

To all of you that thinks the officer should have shot and disable, wound, kill or shoot the scissors out of her hand. Or just simply taser her. One person even suggested turning around and walking away.

1. They're taught to shoot center mass to stop the threat. If they shoot to "disable/wound" and the person is now disabled for life. The city/officer can be held accountable for this and end up paying for this persons care for life. I'm sure that would make all you tax payers happy.

2. This isn't a TV show or movie, where they can shoot from the hip and shoot the gun/knife out of your hand. It's real life, in real life situations. The officer has know idea what the armed person is about to do, but must be ready for what ever happens. And when it does happen, it does in just seconds and the officer has less then that to react or be killed or wounded.

3. The old rule was if someone came within 12 feet of you with a bladed weapon. You need to shoot to stop the threat. But that has changed to 21 feet. Why? Because it was found that a person can still reach you and killed/wounded you.

4. As far as the Taser. It does work, but not a 100% of the time. It would be nice if it did.

5. If she was hit with the taser, shot to disable/ wound her or rush as someone suggested. What would have stopped her from falling on the knife and killing her.

6. Once the officers are there and see this going on. They can't just walk away. If the officers walked away and the armed person killed or harm someone, the officers can be held accountable.

Now to those that say officers are just trigger happy... You have no idea what you're talking about. I've never known one officer who wants to go through this. Or what happens after the shooting, like reading stupid comments on here and talking about something they know nothing about. Yes, it's a comment board, but at least make comments that sound intelligent. [Krugerrand says - :D:D:D:D:D]

Oh! On number 5. To the ones complaining about the shooting and how they handled it and what could or should have been done.

If she still died for one reason or another doing what you've suggested. You would still find something to be unhappy with about what the police did or didn't do.

1 - officer must kill so that the person is not wounded for life. - check
2 - officer must kill so nothing bad can happen - check
3 - officer must kill anything within 4 body-lengths to protect himself - check
4 - officer must kill because a taser may not work - check
5 - officer must kill with gun so as not to risk accidental death by falling on scissors - check
6 - officer must kill so that she does not hurt herself later. - check

It's flabbergasting that somebody could actually type that crap out and think that it makes sense. This is obviously written by a cop - and should be clear warning as to why to NEVER CALL THE POLICE! This is what is going through their mind.

specsaregood
05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
What say you RPFs?
Think the "family members" that called the cops for help with an obviously distraught woman wanted to see her cut to ribbons and tazed to death in front of their eyes?

What I say is, if I ever want to have somebody "taken out", I won't bother trying to hire a blackmarket hitman to do the job for me. I'll figure out a way to get the cops to do it for free.

TheDrakeMan
05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't run from the cops with scissors.

Brian4Liberty
05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Shot and tasered!

Does a freshly killed body jump around when you taser it?

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/24/3099724/fort-worth-woman-threatening-officer.html

5 - officer must kill with gun so as not to risk accidental death by falling on scissors - check

It's flabbergasting that somebody could actually type that crap out and think that it makes sense. This is obviously written by a cop - and should be clear warning as to why to NEVER CALL THE POLICE! This is what is going through their mind.

Not what is just going through their mind, that's what the law and the training is telling them.

Their "safety" is number one, a "threat" to that, perceived or real, can and will be met with deadly force.

An encounter with cops can go sideways so fast it'll make your head spin.

olehounddog
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM

What say you RPFs?

I say just another day. Just another story that gets my lower lip weak and quivering. Just another story that makes it hard to type after the tears well up. Just another story that makes me get up and walk to another room to hide me emotions.

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Now to those that say officers are just trigger happy... You have no idea what you're talking about. I've never known one officer who wants to go through this

He must not know many cops.

How many videos of beating by 'roided up cops just itching to fuck somebody up have we all seen?

100?

1000?

10,000?

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
I say just another day. Just another story that gets my lower lip weak and quivering. Just another story that makes it hard to type after the tears well up. Just another story that makes me get up and walk to another room to hide me emotions.

Yeah, me too.

+rep

fisharmor
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
What say you RPFs?

Anyway, there are ways to end conflict without resulting to force.

I say this:
There's a conflict. It gets worse every day.
Everyone needs to stop telling us how the cops can end the conflict.
Because the answer is obvious: they won't.
The question at this point is how WE can end the conflict without using force.

They have openly stated that we are their sworn enemies.
They've openly stated that they are at war with us.
They murder us with impunity.
If there's a way to stop this without force, someone better speak the fuck up.
Someone with no patience is likely to start reading these articles at some point.

coastie
05-25-2011, 03:19 PM
This makes me sick.... If I was the responding officer, I would have moved to de-escalate the situation rather than jump on the UOF continuum. Words are very effective. If they were not successful, I would use pepper... speaking of which, we never hear about pepper spray anymore... why is that? I never carried a taser and even questioned my LE refresher instructor on the use of tasers for reasons of medical complications.

ARGH! Anyway, there are ways to end conflict without resulting to force. The subject should've been committed for 48 hours—not shot. SOB... this shit is really pissing me off as an ex-cop.

^ this and +rep

As former LE also, I am simply appalled that this shit continues to go unchecked. I could only imagine the shit storm that would've entailed had I or any of my boarding team members pulled this shit and never resorted to trying to de-escalate the situation, which is what was hammered into our brains. I would've tried to talk her down, bare minimum, or taken her to the ground and restrained her if she didn't drop them. Done.

"Use only that force which is necessary to compel compliance. EXCESSIVE FORCE MAY NEVER BE USED". Verbatim, the CG's Use of Force Policy. I'm not condoning that horrible statement, however, this woman would be alive today had these locals used something similar. Local LE seems much more amok than some federal LE....for now.

But I'm with AF-I'm numb now. I fear my anger is more toward the fact that NOBODY is doing ANYTHING about this shit. NOBODY. And I could think of over 330 MILLION SOMEBODIES that should be.

Sigh.......I'm gonna go to work now and yell at people, it makes me feel better.:D

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
If there's a way to stop this without force, someone better speak the fuck up.
Someone with no patience is likely to start reading these articles at some point.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

olehounddog
05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Not what is just going through their mind, that's what the law and the training is telling them.

Their "safety" is number one,
Every class probably starts with the ? Who is #1 on the scene? answer: I am. Never attended any law enforement classes but I was in fire and ems/rescue for over 20 yrs and this ? started most classes. I was always the oddball and said the victim or patient. Nobody could hear me because of the loud I AM.

JK/SEA
05-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Just had the county sheriff (2) cars show up next door i 'think' on a welfare check. Kid next door has 'issues', anyway the 2 deputies get out, both older (graying hair) and big pot bellies. Not exactly in shape to go into a hand to hand situation, which makes me think back to the days when i was 'in shape' and could easily disarm someone with a knife or scissors, especially if i had a vest on. Yeah, i know, easier said than done, but now we have tazers. These things (i thought) were to be used in situations like this with this women....i'm pretty much convinced now these cops doing these types of shootings have lost their humanity, and i wish i could pin point the exact reasons for this shit going on now. Are these guys just blood thirsty killers just itching to blow someone away?...a SUICIDAL women with scissors shouldn't equal a death sentence. Fuck...put a dog on her, throw a net over her, hit her with a rubber bullet, throw dirt in her eyes....water hoses, a big stick, ANYTHING!!!...DAMN BASTARDS...

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Every class probably starts with the ? Who is #1 on the scene? answer: I am. Never attended any law enforement classes but I was in fire and ems/rescue for over 20 yrs and this ? started most classes. I was always the oddball and said the victim or patient. Nobody could hear me because of the loud I AM.

I know, I've been in marine rescue work and EMT training for all sorts of things as well.

The justification is "well, you can't help anybody if you're dead".

My response was, and still is, "If I was only concerned about my well being, I would not be putting myself in a risky rescue situation in the first place."

FFS that's the whole point, the very definition of "bravery" that these tax feeders like to wrap themselves up in all the time, to put yourself in a risky situation to help or save your fellow man, without regard to your well being first.

squarepusher
05-25-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/

Police Misconduct Nationwide registry

olehounddog
05-25-2011, 03:49 PM
That's what they would tell me.
It seems we think a lot alike my friend.

Pericles
05-25-2011, 03:54 PM
What I say is, if I ever want to have somebody "taken out", I won't bother trying to hire a blackmarket hitman to do the job for me. I'll figure out a way to get the cops to do it for free.

For all you know, that may have already happened, and maybe more than once.

Brian4Liberty
05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
For all you know, that may have already happened, and maybe more than once.

No doubt it happens a lot.

It's known to be a popular joke to play on people in Iraq and Afghanistan. "Ha Ha! Let's play a joke on Abdul and report him on the American snitch line! It will be so funny!" Unfortunately for Abdul, Ashton Kutcher never shows up...

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 05:51 PM
That's what they would tell me.
It seems we think a lot alike my friend.

I believe we do my brother.

Mini-Me
05-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Your list pretty much covers it!

nocompromises
05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
What I want to know is why cops are so cowardly now a days they cannot restrain women, children, and senior citizens without resorting to gunshots and tasers!

Oh, I forgot... they don't care about people's well being! They only care about doing their job as quickly and easily as possible. They don't care if they kill someone, as long as it allows them to get to the doughnut shop a few minutes sooner!

Mini-Me
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
What I want to know is why cops are so cowardly now a days they cannot restrain women, children, and senior citizens without resorting to gunshots and tasers!

Oh, I forgot... they don't care about people's well being! They only care about doing their job as quickly and easily as possible. They don't care if they kill someone, as long as it allows them to get to the doughnut shop a few minutes sooner!

You just don't understand how brave they had to be to enter that woman's home at all! :rolleyes:

:(

heavenlyboy34
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM

From what I understand, cops have always been like this. Except once upon a time they didn't have tazers and used billy clubs and guns and nightsticks and so forth.