PDA

View Full Version : Free Coffee at Rest Stops

Razmear
10-28-2007, 01:17 PM
This just came thru my meetup, seems like a great idea for T-Day weekend:

> Does anyone know what restrictions or authorizations are needed to do
> something like set up a Ron Paul booth at a rest area along the interstate?
> I am considering any in NC or SC.

They will not allow you to set up a table etc.. but............. if you or a church or other group ask to set up a coffee station, you know give out coffee to travelers on heavy traffic weekends or holidays sometimes they will allow that. We did it in Texas and it worked great.. all it cost us was a couple of pounds of coffee and some home made cookies which we handed out to everyone along with some information and a DVD. We called our event " wake up America, Drive safely, Stay Alert" We had a banner saying that behind us...

vegetarianrpfan
10-28-2007, 03:44 PM
What do you mean if you are a "church or other group"? Does a Meetup count?

Tax-exempt groups (churches, nonprofits) cannot shill for politicians and could lose their tax-exempt status for doing so, so it's probably not the best idea unless there's some way that the state would not be able to find out you signed up as one group and came as a Ron Paul supporter. We wouldn't want a jealous Giuliani supporter to turn us in and cause us trouble.

What types of groups count? I have a nonprofit organization I work with that would probably qualify, but I wouldn't want to jeopardize the nonprofit in any way. ( I would also be doing this in NC or SC.)

----------------
Sorority Girl Gets Ron Paul License Plate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdaK1UPNkQ

freedominnumbers
10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I find that when I say something like CT Ron Paul Meetup they just assume it's an official organization.

Just use a name and don't say it's a non-profit or for profit business.

brandon
10-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Most places wont let you give out drinks. They would be held accountable if your coffee poisoned someone.

We tried to do this with lemonade at a park and got kicked out.

vegetarianrpfan
10-29-2007, 02:43 PM
They will not allow you to set up a table etc.. but............. if you or a church or other group ask to set up a coffee station, you know give out coffee to travelers on heavy traffic weekends or holidays sometimes they will allow that. We did it in Texas and it worked great.. all it cost us was a couple of pounds of coffee and some home made cookies which we handed out to everyone along with some information and a DVD. We called our event " wake up America, Drive safely, Stay Alert" We had a banner saying that behind us...

How did you do all this without a table? You can't bring your own card table? It seems like it would be difficult pouring coffee and handing out DVDs without some kind of apparatus to place it all on.

I'm bringing this up with my Meetup group tonight. Who is in charge of the rest areas that we could contact about it, or does this depend on each state?

------------------
Sorority Girl Gets Ron Paul License Plate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdaK1UPNkQ

ladyliberty
10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
How about cups of hot water? Can you have instant coffee, sugar, creamer, envelopes of cocoa, etc. placed somewhere, and then provide the hot water/styrofoam cups for them to mix their own? Why not call yourselves the "Wake up America, Drive Safely, Stay Alert" Group?