PDA

View Full Version : Talked to my daddy today...

wgadget
05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Said he guesses he'll have to vote for "the old man" today.

Said he just finished reading "The Revolution: A Manifesto" a couple of weeks ago.

:)

nobody's_hero
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Woo hoo. Score one for the older folks who actually care about their children.

malkusm
05-24-2011, 06:52 PM
+rep

sailingaway
05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
cool. Age is my Dad's only hold back at this point. He feels his own... but I think he'll end up voting for Ron. He just moved to Ron's district and every time I talk to him he has something else nice to say about Ron. He did vote for Ron in the Congressional race.

dannno
05-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Wow that's awesome.. My dad has a direct line going from Fox News to his brain. My mom's on board, tho.

Paulatized
05-24-2011, 08:35 PM
It seems like people are much more ready for "The Revolution" now than they were the last go around. A lot of people are just now catching up to the ideas presented in his book. We should probably put a big push on it for those that just need a little nudge.

RonPaulGetsIt
05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
People may as well vote for the principled candidate because their vote is irrelevant...unless you really think your vote will be breaking a tie.

DirtMcGirt
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Nice work!!!

Wow that's awesome.. My dad has a direct line going from Fox News to his brain. My mom's on board, tho.

My mom has the same direct Fox line and lives on the east coat ∴ She loves her some Chris Christie. My mom likes RP but her latest reason for not being her #1 candidate is and I quote "he is too extreme because he never compromises." I had to pause for a second b/c I didn't know how to respond and I came back w/ that is because he is principled and compromise is one of the reasons we are in this mess as a country.

tekkierich
05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Totally unrelated, but I hope my daughter calls me daddy her entire life.

Chieppa1
05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
My father reads all the bullshit. But he hates being stupid, so he'll vote for Ron.

Working Poor
05-24-2011, 09:55 PM
OP- Happy to hear your daddy is on board.

My dad was a John Birch fan so I grew up listening to limited government rants and freedom principals. I know if he was still alive he would have voted for Ron. In away I feel like I am doing him some honor by being in Ron's corner.

majinkoola
05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Recently got my grandpa, a former farmer, on board. You just have to pick your battles. I don't mention the war on drugs stuff, and instead talk about the Amish guy getting raided over milk. It's easy when you realize that RP appeals to everyone in some way except the most ardent statists.

guitarlifter
05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Nice work!!!

My mom has the same direct Fox line and lives on the east coat ∴ She loves her some Chris Christie. My mom likes RP but her latest reason for not being her #1 candidate is and I quote "he is too extreme because he never compromises." I had to pause for a second b/c I didn't know how to respond and I came back w/ that is because he is principled and compromise is one of the reasons we are in this mess as a country.

A person of true moral character never compromises their beliefs, and I'd go as far as saying that it means that they don't believe in those things at all. If a man values family, but he isn't willing to sacrifice time/money to be with them, then does he really value family? A man's actions speak louder than his words, and to compromise is to support the things that one supposedly is against. Thomas Jefferson once said, "in matters of trend, go with the flow, but, with matters of principle, stand like a rock." A person who chooses the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Eric21ND
05-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Get him watching Fox Business News and the Judge!

dannno
05-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Get him watching Fox Business News and the Judge!

He watches Glenn Beck and I'm pretty sure he catches freedom watch sometimes cause I know my mom dvr's it.

One thing he recently changed his position on was our motivations for Iraq. Before he was adamant that it had nothing to do with oil, now he proclaims it. I don't know what changed his mind. I think he's become more fiscally conservative as well, but I can't get him to make any major concessions on the war on terror, waterboarding, blowback, etc..

xGREGx
05-25-2011, 01:49 AM
That's awesome news. I've been talking to my parents for quite some time about RP. My mom and my grandparents are on board with Paul. My dad likes alot of his ideas but thinks he's unelectable. He's been on a Pawlenty kick lately. I bring up Paul every chance I get with him. My stepdad is so neo-con I don't think there's any hope of ever changing his mind on the foreign policy stuff.

KurtBoyer25L
05-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Wonderful news.

My Dad is voting for Ron Paul but honestly, strangely after years of hearing "I'm ready to vote Libertarian!" he was a tough sell. Mostly, he's scared of radicals & listens to everything he hears on TV (bad combination).

bunklocoempire
05-25-2011, 02:45 AM
Congrats to all!!! After 2 years working on my Pop (he came around), this year he says:

"I hope you're gonna give some money to Ron Paul, we're gonna kick some his way, he needs our help ya know"

And Mom says: (she came around too -it was TOUGH!)

"I wish we could write him in (Paul), I'd really like to be able to vote for him"

:)!!!

Made my year life!

When Chuck Baldwin quoted J.Q. Adams "Duty is ours, results are Gods", I shared that with my folks, it was instrumental in helping them make the leap.

Bunkloco

KurtBoyer25L
05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
That's awesome news. I've been talking to my parents for quite some time about RP. My mom and my grandparents are on board with Paul. My dad likes alot of his ideas but thinks he's unelectable. He's been on a Pawlenty kick lately. I bring up Paul every chance I get with him. My stepdad is so neo-con I don't think there's any hope of ever changing his mind on the foreign policy stuff.

Absolutely no disrespect to your father; I just cannot imagine a rational person having a Pawlenty kick.

I can imagine a mainstream Republican saying "Hey cool, another popular new guy. He's good looking and fairly smooth and has the right rhetoric. Hopefully he's spend a long time in congress. I might even vote for him if there's no sweeter choice for President by next year."

But I can't imagine: "Pawlenty is the most unique politician to run for the GOP in a long time. I look at him and I see echoes of Eisenhower, Reagan and Bush Sr. What an amazingly accomplished man with a great record of leadership."

ronpaulitician
05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Nice work!!!

Define "compromise".

He's actually a lot more willing to compromise (read: deal with the realities of politics; you can't get everything you want) than even his most ardent supporters believe.

From president Paul's stated priorities (http://www.yaliberty.org/yar/plan-for-a-freedom-president):

While the president can do a great deal on his own, to really restore the Constitution and cut back on the vast unconstitutional programs that have sunk roots in Washington over 60 years, he will have to work with Congress. The first step in enacting a pro-freedom legislative agenda is the submission of a budget that outlines the priorities of the administration. While it has no legal effect, the budget serves as a guideline for the congressional appropriations process. A constitutionalist president’s budget should do the following:

1. Reduce overall federal spending

2. Prioritize cuts in oversize expenditures, especially the military

3. Prioritize cuts in corporate welfare

4. Use 50 percent of the savings from cuts in overseas spending to shore up entitlement programs for those who are dependent on them and the other 50 percent to pay down the debt

Note that realizing that you need to have a foundation before you can properly build a movement of freedom, and that initially many small steps need to be taken, doesn't necessarily mean that one compromises one's principles.

See also his many coalitions with politicians thought to reside on the opposite side of the political spectrum.

Ron Paul and Ralph Nader team up to battle corporatism (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/22/ron-paul-ralph-nader-agree-on-progressive-libertarian-alliance/)
Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders team up to battle the Fed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OgZRUoZab4)
Ron Paul and Barney Frank team up to battle the military industrial complex (http://www.dailypaul.com/146644/barney-frank-ron-paul-and-55-others-advocate-for-defense-cuts)

Eric21ND
05-29-2011, 06:58 AM
He watches Glenn Beck and I'm pretty sure he catches freedom watch sometimes cause I know my mom dvr's it.

One thing he recently changed his position on was our motivations for Iraq. Before he was adamant that it had nothing to do with oil, now he proclaims it. I don't know what changed his mind. I think he's become more fiscally conservative as well, but I can't get him to make any major concessions on the war on terror, waterboarding, blowback, etc..
Have him read/watch more Michael Scheuer and Daniel Hannan. Perhaps also Chalmers Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxdb5nnRMrU

Daniel Hannan smokes Hannity in this interview about middle east intervention!
http://www.hannity.com/videos/?uri=channels/400391/1170500

torchbearer
05-29-2011, 07:23 AM
yeah, my parents have come around this year too.
also, the LPers who weren't on board last time have told me they are switching party affiliation to vote for ron in the caucus.