PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Act powers may lapse at end of week

low preference guy
05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Excerpts:

A combination of the Senate’s arcane rules and Sen. Rand Paul’s (R-Ky.) insistence on voting on several controversial amendments may cause the Patriot Act to lapse at the end of the week.

The expiration of the law before the passage of an extension would create an upheaval in the law enforcement community which relies on its authority to track suspected terrorists.

Even if Paul waives the 30 hours of post-cloture debate, lawmakers will have to scramble to get the extension signed into law by Thursday because President Obama is in Europe.

Officials will have to fly a copy of the Patriot Act extension overseas if they are to prevent it a range of law-enforcement powers from expiring.

Link (http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/163087-patriot-act-powers-may-lapse-at-end-of-week) (H/T: tsai3904)

Chester Copperpot
05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
my question.

does a one day lapse of extended powers means those powers cant be renewed with the current vote?

torchbearer
05-24-2011, 05:45 PM
my question.

does a one day lapse of extended powers means those powers cant be renewed with the current vote?

i hope so.
obama vacation may work in our favor.
send him to kenya for a few weeks to visit his other home.

tsai3904
05-24-2011, 05:55 PM

If that were the case, I don't think Harry Reid would have done what he did today. He's a master of the Senate rules. He was able to promise Rand Paul that he can offer amendments and then he tabled them without any debate.

Legend1104
05-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Don't wave Rand!

pcosmar
05-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Patriot Act powers may lapse at end of week

yur gettin' my hopes up.

I'm Cautiously watching

Noob
05-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Hatch’s support of Patriot Act likely to anger tea party

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/51877414-90/patriot-act-party-tea.html.csp

Vessol
05-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Meh.

They don't need any act to do as they please. They'll still do warrentless wiretaps and everything.