http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/05/24/severe.weather/

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Joplin just got nailed - 50 mile swath.

HOLLYWOOD
05-24-2011, 05:38 PM
National Weather Service Enhanced Radar Image

Tulsa, OK Radar

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=inx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Active Loop/Movement

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=N0S&rid=INX&loop=yes

CONUS Loop
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

tpreitzel
05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I've been watching live streaming from news9.com most of the afternoon. It was fairly wild for awhile. Most of the tornadoes appeared to be EF-3 and EF-4. Personally, I've experienced much worse, i.e. the evening outbreak of the 1979 Wichita Falls, TX tornado. Regardless, approximately 10 people are reported dead from this latest outbreak in OK and the night isn't over.

Bruno
05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Joplin just got nailed - 50 mile swath.

Joplin got hit with more tornados? :(

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Joplin got hit with more tornados? :(

my bad - I was listening to reporting and that was apparently yesterday. I think it was Newton? that got hit earlier today. They were mixing yesterday w/ live reporting... annoying.

Bruno
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
my bad - I was listening to reporting and that was apparently yesterday. I think it was Newton? that got hit earlier today. They were mixing yesterday w/ live reporting... annoying.

Good, they sure need a break . Still powerful storms in the area.

tpreitzel
05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
With ~ 5 additional deaths from a destroyed mobile home NE of Chickasha, OK The total number of deaths in OK is ~ 15 and climbing

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.newson6.com/weather?C=112040&nav=menu682_3&redirected=true

Names in tomorrow's news include El Reno, Chickasha and Guthrie.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Independence, KS, a city not much smaller than Joplin, is under the gun right now.

cindy25
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
this will hurt us; Ron has to vote against the FEMA billions, and it will be all over media about selfishness

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Pea size hail in downtown Tulsa. Reports of golfball size in the south end of town. Possible tornado on the ground miles south of town.

Spring is here, all right.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:18 PM
this will hurt us; Ron has to vote against the FEMA billions, and it will be all over media about selfishness

Well, you just tell them that by the time FEMA finds Oklahoma on the map, we'll have our neighbors all squared away.

We'll have the barns in Beggs rebuilt before they get the first truckload of melted ice into town.

Meatwasp
05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
acptulsa glad you are not being pounded. Good luck. I bet all those Cali's will move out and back to Calif. Hope not.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:26 PM
acptulsa glad you are not being pounded. Good luck. I bet all those Cali's will move out and back to Calif. Hope not.

LOL I remember posting that. That was about a thousand months ago.

Everything peachy here. Nothing shaking on the east side, so Tulsa has now escaped.

And don't worry about Springfield. The sun is almost down, they didn't break eighty today I don't believe, and my fearless prediction is they'll only get wet.

Oh, and you Callies are pretty quick. You catch on quick that an earthquake is like a whole army come to town. A tornado is like a guy with a knife--if you're not directly in his path, you're fine.

Of course, Joplin got the rare guy with a scythe. Hope they can get everyone inside in the next forty-five minutes or so.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:42 PM
'[Out of Florida, California and Oklahoma] Oklahoma is the only one of the three that has an all-year-around climate. Our people don't move with the seasons, hunting a different climate. Our climate changes with our seasons. Why, we throw away more climate that we don't need in one year than you have charged your customers with... We don't have to throw in a Gulf Stream or a Trade Wind or a canceled state income tax or a movie contract or a catfish.'--Will Rogers

Another possible name in the news--Haskell (again). And there will be more flooding.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:45 PM
More names in tomorrow's news: Piedmont and Newcastle.

acptulsa
05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Excepting the loved ones of the unlucky twelve (eight in OK alone), we're counting our blessings today. We got nothing--this time--to compare to that monster that hit Joplin.

If you see FEMA headed this way later this week, tell them to take their formaldehyde trailers somewhere else. We got this.

P.S. A little something for you folks east of the Mississippi:

They sound tornado warnings because they spin up quickly. It results in a lot of false alarms, but without them there would be no warning at all. So, when they sound, be aware--do not fail to be aware, this is indeed serious business--but take Douglas Adams' advice and DON'T PANIC.

With experience, you can learn what to watch for. Tornadoes almost always come from the south/west/southwest. No guarantees. If you see one east of you, you can almost certainly afford to stop and marvel, but watch over your shoulder as well, because they travel in groups, and as one fades another is liable to be spinning up nearby. And don't assume the worse the storm the better the odds. Tornadoes come out of hook-shaped formations at the trailing edge of storms and generally at the south end of supercells. So, there's very likely to be a lull before they come, and often the tornado strikes where the rain has been weakest. And, yes, straight line winds can be as destructive, so just because you don't see rotation doesn't mean you need to be wandering around a junkyard full of loose steel.

There's pretty much always a pressure drop--noticeable--and a loud noise ahead of a tornado strike. But no guarantees. So, if you have no experience with such storms, you are better off safe than sorry.

What is safe? A small room. I once heard a bunch of yankees discussing how slick it would be to spend storms in your car in the garage, because then you have two roofs over your head. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The garage is the biggest room in the house, and if and when fat ceiling beams snap they will fall into the garage. The roof of your car will not stop 4x4s from giving you the headache of your life. Avoid windows if you can, but mainly find a small room which is not on an outside wall with west or south facing. North or east facing outside walls are far safer. The bathtub may or may not provide extra protection if it's cast iron. But the main thing is, if the room is less than eight feet wide you're unlikely to wind up wearing ceiling support beams and rafters.

If you're in a car and you encounter one, if and only if you see it coming from a mile or more away you can run south and get out of its way. Otherwise, find a ditch or stop in a store and tell everyone there to join you in the cooler. If you're not from tornado country it may sound strange to you to be invited by a store manager to hide out in their walk-in cooler, but here this is standard operating procedure. Don't hesitate to do it.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Except figure out which way is south, which way is west, how to cover the window in your hideout room of choice quickly and effectively enough to at least slow broken glass down, and let everyone in on the plan. You really don't need supplies much; it'll be over in minutes. Just a solid place to put the first aid kit, mainly.

Now these are rules of thumb, and tornadoes do not obey rules. But though a little knowledge might be a dangerous thing, a lot of panic is far worse. So, if you've never thought it through, take a moment. And, hopefully, we'll stop exporting these things the way we've been doing the last decade or so...

http://laughterandliberty.com/has-anyone-seen-fema/

Trigonx
05-25-2011, 08:12 AM
That giant storm is sweeping through my area now. SE Wisconsin.