PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 227 "child abandonment" to allow your kid to be unaccompanied at a gun show

Noob
05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Now they want to make it "child abandonment" if you leave you kid unaccompanied at a gun show.

H.R. 227
(Jackson Lee):

This bill would:

•amend 18 U.S.C. 922(x) -- making it difficult to legally teach your kids the safe and effective use of firearms -- by extending the subsection's labyrinthine provisions concerning handguns to semiautos (and semiauto clips) and to persons less than 21 (rather than 18), with certain exceptions;
•increase the penalties for violating 18 U.S.C. 922(x) to five years generally, but ten years in some circumstances;
•enhance lock-up-your-safety provisions (1) to provide for a three year prison sentence if you keep a loaded gun in your home for self-defense and a child gains access to it and causes serious bodily injury; (2)to allow $10,000 civil penalties for gun dealers who fail to comply with lock-up-your safety requirements;
•provide that it is "child abandonment" to allow your kid to be unaccompanied at a gun show (even to go to the bathroom);
•provide for grants for "gun safety programs."

http://gunowners.org/112bills.htm

Grubb556
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
No victim.

pcosmar
05-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Gaaaah !

I spent a lot of fun and educational time in a gun store as a child. That old man still owns the store and would sell me a gun (and a good deal as well) today if he was allowed to.
by the time I was in my teens I could examine a used gun for fit, finish and function.
I picked up helpful tips and advice from several adults while spending time there.

No safer place in the world for a kid.

Bodhi
05-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Why should what is considered "child abandonment" be any different at a gun show than anywhere else? When I was a kid if my family went to some kind of show or expo, I was set free to go wander around and meet back at a certain place and time. Just like amusement parks, the mall, or wherever there was a defined space with entrances and exits. Basically, just don't leave the area and for some reason if you get lost or confused, go to the information booth or security and let them make an anouncement and wait there. Pretty simple stuff.

Pericles
05-24-2011, 03:21 PM
No free range kids allowed. They might learn independence.

FrankRep
05-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Now they want to make it "child abandonment" if you leave you kid unaccompanied at a gun show.

They?

You mean Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (Democrat)

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/congress/members/photos/228/J000032.jpg

H.R. 227: Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2011 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-227)
(no cosponsors)

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
The usual suspects... :rolleyes:

just glanced at the summary:

Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and (2) prohibit persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions.

"semiautomatic assault weapons" - what is that? The AWB that defines that term, is no more so it's meaningless. Also, by being creative with hardware a AK is still legal for the under 21 crowd, just like under the AWB - purely cosmetic.

What exactly is a "high capacity magazine" - I keep seeing them re-define that term in different legislation.

What exactly is a "child"? Anyone under 18?

oyarde
05-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Ridiculous , Jackson Lee , what a pox .

Philhelm
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
What exactly is a "child"? Anyone under 18?

No, I think it's anyone of any age who lives in the U.S.

Philhelm
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
*provide that it is "child abandonment" to allow your kid to be unaccompanied at a gun show (even to go to the bathroom);

What if it's a father with his teenage daughter? I'm assuming he wouldn't take her to the men's restroom, and he'd certainly get into trouble taking her to the women's restroom.

Pericles
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Ridiculous , Jackson Lee , what a pox .

and general embarrassment to the State of Texas