PDA

View Full Version : HBO Show: Too big to fail.

specsaregood
05-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Did any of you catch this? I think it premiered last night?
I caught a bit of the "making of" and it looked like one big propaganda piece trying to rewrite history and justifying the bailouts.

trey4sports
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
on my dvr

notsure
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I saw a clip of it on cnbc. It was Paulson trying to justify the AIG bailouts. They showed it to look like Paulson was taking a hit for the American people.
I think you're right, it looks like BS. I can't really say for sure though, I haven't seen an episode yet.

specsaregood
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
on my dvr

Like I said, I caught "the making of" piece and they had the actors dressed like the people, giving the statist lines for why it was necessary and good.
It pissed me off:
1. because it was the effing actors, making statements as if they were fact and actually knew wtf they were talking about.
2. because it was the bankster talking points, with no debate, just put out there as fact.

Lucille
05-24-2011, 12:16 PM
I recorded it last night but I haven't seen it yet. The guy who does my hair saw it and what he took away from it was, the government and the "TBTF" banks are partners in crime.

He was really pissed when he learned about Geithner being promoted and handed keys to the US Treasury after his epic failure at the NY Fed.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Is it a movie or a tv series?

Guitarzan
05-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Saw the previews only and I must say that I'm pretty stoked to see Paul Giamatti play Bernanke.

specsaregood
05-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Is it a movie or a tv series?

I think it is a movie.
http://www.hbo.com/movies/too-big-to-fail/index.html#/movies/too-big-to-fail/synopsis.html

It wasn't clear though.

Lucille
05-24-2011, 12:33 PM
zerohedge:

Watch "Inside Job" - The Wall Street Horror Movie, For Free (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/watch-inside-job-wall-street-horror-movie-free-0)

Courtesy of Open Culture, Inside Job, the scariest Wall Street "horror movie" ever produced can now be seen for free. Charles Ferguson's masterpiece is a must watch for anyone and everyone who has even a passing interest in the intersection of finance, economics, politics, corruption, crime, complacency and above all, the human inability to predict the future when the only driving force is pure greed. And as Open Culture notes, "Inside Job can be purchased on DVD at Amazon. We all love free, but let’s remember that good projects cost real money to develop, and they could use real financial support. So please consider buying a copy." We can only hope that more commentators ilke Ferguson will step up and present the criminal events leading to the greatest economic and market crash since the Great Depression.

Inside Job, A Story of Economic Collapse (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/inside-job-story-economic-collapse)

I'm not in the habit of promoting films, but if the above documentary, an investigation of the root causes of the 2008 global financial meltdown, is anything like the director's documentary on the Iraqi war, "No End in Sight", not only are we in for a relentless presentation of propaganda busting facts and an endless calling out of financial shills from Wall Street firms, but we will also be presented with a very sober reminder that our current administration, like the Dubya, Clinton, and Bush Sr. administrations that preceded it, has failed to address or fix in any substantive manner any of the root problems that created our first financial meltdown. Thus, get ready your popcorn ready for a front row seat to financial meltdown, part deuce, coming to your in-home theater in 2011.

No Free Beer
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I watched it. It def made everyone out to be decent people, trying to loigically solve the problem of the financial mess. It was still interesting

Lucille
05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Porter Stansberry:

I watched the HBO movie Too Big to Fail last night. Too Stupid Not to Fail might have been a better title. The script didn't make anyone look all that smart. For example, the seizing up of credit markets after the Lehman bankruptcy appears to come as a shock to then-Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson.

Nobody looks like a hero in the film. At one point, JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon appears to be trying to save Lehman Brothers, but his effort quickly fizzles. No one in government or on Wall Street seems to know exactly what he's doing. Everyone is angling for attention or defending turf, no matter how badly he's screwed up.

Paulson, then-President of the New York Federal Reserve Bank Tim Geithner, and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke are all portrayed as terrified, desperate, and ill-informed. The bankers don't look much better. Numerous times in the film, various characters ask, "How did they not know this would be a disaster?"

These guys didn't seem like masters of the universe… just a bunch of people caught with their hands in the till. Now, they're scrambling to put the money back.

Few human beings behave well when standing next to an extraordinarily large pile of money. It's simply too much to ask of all but a few exceptional individuals [like RP!-L].

cindy25
05-24-2011, 07:19 PM
on my dvr

post the torrent; not up anywhere

Michael P
05-24-2011, 07:27 PM
I watched it. Dick Fuld came out looking the worst but I don't think Geithner, Bernanke, Paulson, the CEO's etc were very happy to see the movie. Everyone came off looking rather clueless. HBO wrapped it up at the end by basically saying nothing they were trying to do worked and just created a bunch of Too Big To Fail banks. It was better than I expected.

dannno
05-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Porter Stansberry:

For being so clueless about the economy they sure seem to think they know the right solution.

Cutlerzzz
05-24-2011, 08:05 PM
How much did the Fed spend proping up the banks in addition to the government?

Brian4Liberty
05-24-2011, 08:16 PM
The script didn't make anyone look all that smart.

No surprise there. It is preferable to play stupid than to admit criminal fraud.

bkreigh
05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
I caught it halfway through but the part i saw it looked as if they made Bernanke look like a god damn genius every time he opened his mouth. Whatever though. I just get pissed off thinking about the whole thing anyway.

Vessol
05-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't know why you all are upset.

HBO makes some great FANTASY tv shows.

I'm sure this one won't be too bad.

I personally prefer A Game of Thrones.

ClayTrainor
05-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't know why you all are upset.

HBO makes some great FANTASY tv shows.

True Enough. Paul Giamatti looks like he'll be an interesting Bernanke

http://i.cdn.hbo.com/assets/images/movies/too-big-to-fail/characters/paul-giamatti-ben-bernanke-1024.jpg

Lucille
05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
We decided not to watch it. We watched a few scenes while it was replaying, and then went straight to the DVR and deleted it.

HBO’s 'Too Big to Fail' – A Reality Check
http://lewrockwell.com/orig12/kolbjornsen1.1.1.html

georgiaboy
09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Nominated for several Emmy's last night, but alas, "Too Big to Fail" failed to win any, to my complete satisfaction. When it comes to the bailouts, I'll take poetic justice in any form I can get.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen the movie. Anyone?