PDA

View Full Version : Donation of professional music from John Mayer?

rgampell
10-28-2007, 10:55 AM
All,

I posted this on another forum a couple of days ago, but there was no feedback. This is an excerpt from an email (probably unread) that I sent to the RP campaign about a week ago. Any thoughts?

<snip>

Given that most of the grass-roots videos get their emotional punch from copyrighted (!) music, I am wondering if you would consider asking for a DONATION OF CAMPAIGN MUSIC from the now-famously-pro-Ron-Paul singer/songwriter/guitarist JOHN MAYER. If you don't know his work, I can tell you that he is extraordinarily talented, as well as popular in Hollywood. Also, he seems like the sort of fellow who might jump all over such a request. However, he would obviously need to be contacted IMMEDIATELY if he were going to contribute music to the campaign in time to be useful.

John Mayer's contact info: http://www.johnmayer.com/contact

Of course, if he were to agree to such a request, he might also agree to make the contribution "public knowledge," which would certainly generate a great deal of positive publicity for Congressman Paul.

</snip>

vegetarianrpfan
10-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I think it's an excellent idea and worth trying for the campaign.

In the video released of him coming out of the bar, Mayer seemed pretty passionate that "Ron Paul knows the Constitution." It did seem to me like it was completely spontaneous, too.

----------------
Sorority Girl Gets Ron Paul License Plate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdaK1UPNkQ

constitutional
10-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Ridiculous.

But it's a joke but I'd rather appreciate if we did not flood the forum with satire ads.

Thank you.

[Edit]

Oops, sorry. haha

I don't know how this happened but this post was suppose to be in another thread.

moonbat
10-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Ridiculous.

But it's a joke but I'd rather appreciate if we did not flood the forum with satire ads.

Thank you.

huh?

rajibo
10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Is there any proof that John Mayer is a supporter other than him coming out of a club, completely plastered, yelling Ron Paul's name?

kylejack
10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
The whole thing looked like a prank on the paparazzi to me.

brandon
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
John Mayer cannot donate his music. His music is owned by whatever record label he is on.

LibertyEagle
10-28-2007, 05:37 PM
There are already a ton of artists who support Ron Paul. Maybe they are not as well known as John Mayer, but they nonetheless are very talented. I have no doubt that if we asked them to come up with some background inspirational music that we could use in a TV commercial, that they would do so. Don't you? Remember Bands 4 Ron Paul?

vegetarianrpfan
10-28-2007, 06:41 PM
John Mayer cannot donate his music. His music is owned by whatever record label he is on.

He has a contractual obligation with them to deliver a certain number of albums, but other than that, he actually owns the copyright, and record labels who have tried to assert that they own the rights to that music have been turned down by the courts.

There are already a ton of artists who support Ron Paul. Maybe they are not as well known as John Mayer, but they nonetheless are very talented. I have no doubt that if we asked them to come up with some background inspirational music that we could use in a TV commercial, that they would do so. Don't you? Remember Bands 4 Ron Paul?

The point is that an association with John Mayer would bring in publicity. Association with these other bands, no matter how good they are, would not.

-------------------------
Sorority Girl Gets Ron Paul License Plate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdaK1UPNkQ

rgampell
10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. To be clear, my thought was not that he would donate existing music, but that he could compose something NEW for background music, play it (he is a good composer and an excellent guitarist), then possibly publicize his contribution. I think it should be obvious to anyone watching the avaroth and eLib3rty videos that the (copyrighted) music is CRITICAL.

My next question: Does anyone out there who thinks this is a good idea actually know how to reach a decision-maker at the campaign?? Needless to say, I do not!

NewEnd
10-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Its a good idea. Its like women

they could be giggling cuz they think you look goofy, or because they think you look cute.

Its hard ot tell if he was joking, or serious. If he was serious, he was passionate.

the worst that could happen would be rejection, the best would be a campaign song written by John Mayer.

Chicks dig John Mayer.