PDA

View Full Version : I made a commercial, please rate:

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 10:32 AM
After being frustrated with the commercial they posted yesterday, I decided to make my own. Like a total newbie I used MS Paint, but hey I wanted to take my best shot. Please give some feedback, and anybody with some actual editing skills if you want my slightly better quality source materials for whatever reason just message me. You'll notice at the end of the commercial I cut off Ron's voice... it should be pretty obvious why.

I decided not to go the Youtube route; this is mostly for my/our entertainment. Please don't spread the link beyond this forum or you'll rape my hosting and then I'll have to take it down.

http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RonPaul-NH.mpg

or

1. Install xvid codec: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/
2. http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RonPaul-NHxvid.avi

or as a final resort

http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RP-NH/RP-NH.html - Very low quality

Thanks to OptionsMonster on Youtube for his help last night.

cmc
10-28-2007, 10:43 AM
All these attempts are great! What software did you use to put the video clips together?

I really like the idea of having a mini RP interview -- it gives name and face recognition.

Maybe you could put the quote of "I'm Ron Paul and I'm the champion of the constitution" at the end instead of cutting off "I approve this message."

How about making the ronpaul2008.com link on the bottom much bigger?

Ok, thanks.

ronpaul4pres
10-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I applaud your effort. I especially liked the background music. However, I'm not sure what message you're trying to send. You showed Ron Paul saying "I don't want to run the economy." I know what he means, but I'm afraid that would turn away the majority of people. Presidents get elected/booted over the health of the economy all the time. Please think a little more about the message you're trying to send.

The official campaign ad has some great messages (We can agree the "acting" is horrible, but that's only because they're not acting! They're real supporters!):

"He's a doctor, he understands the health care mess."
"He's the only one who makes sense."
"You always know where he stands."
"Get out of Iraq"
"Cut government spending"
"Protect personal freedom"
"I'm going to vote for him"
"He's catching on"

Man from La Mancha
10-28-2007, 10:57 AM
That was good.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Please think a little more about the message you're trying to send.

The official campaign ad has some great messages (We can agree the "acting" is horrible, but that's only because they're not acting! They're real supporters!):

"He's a doctor, he understands the health care mess."
"He's the only one who makes sense."
"You always know where he stands."
"Get out of Iraq"
"Cut government spending"
"Protect personal freedom"
"I'm going to vote for him"
"He's catching on"

I think the message is okay if you consider the target audience being Republicans and conservative leaning independents in New Hampshire. I agree with you about the messages in the campaign's ad, but consider that they supposedly have a "series" of ads lined up. If that's the case, why try to sqeeze everything like that into an ad that ultimately fails atleast in my view? If you're prepared to run different ads, then I like the idea of an introductory ad that speaks to Ron's fundamental message. Still though, you make a good point.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 11:27 AM
All these attempts are great! What software did you use to put the video clips together?

I really like the idea of having a mini RP interview -- it gives name and face recognition.

Maybe you could put the quote of "I'm Ron Paul and I'm the champion of the constitution" at the end instead of cutting off "I approve this message."

How about making the ronpaul2008.com link on the bottom much bigger?

Ok, thanks.

I used FLVextract, VirtualDubMod, Adobe Premiere, and MS Paint. Yeah I'm sure somebody could do a lot beter job with the visuals, I'm too lazy to go change it just right now, maybe later. Thanks for the feedback! :)

LibertyEagle
10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
I can't get it to load for some reason.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 11:36 AM

I'll see if I can make a flash video for you, hang on.

James R
10-28-2007, 11:36 AM

I couldn't get it to load either. It tried loading with Quicktime, which is the absolute worse media player.

Suzu
10-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Not enough bandwidth. I sent a PM with instructions on another location to upload (which has enough bandwidth).

Pauliana
10-28-2007, 11:48 AM
You do all know that you can't just put a Youtube type video on Television tho, right? There are very specific technical requirements for TV ads. You need real cameras and stuff. Your average camcorder doesn't have the right specs.

And IMHO he would need a touch of makeup for shine etc.

But its a really good message in this ad.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
James and Liberty, I chopped the quality way way down, but please try this link:

http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RP-NH/RP-NH.html

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
You do all know that you can't just put a Youtube type video on Television tho, right? There are very specific technical requirements for TV ads. You need real cameras and stuff. Your average camcorder doesn't have the right specs.

And IMHO he would need a touch of makeup for shine etc.

But its a really good message in this ad.

This footage was a TV interview I think. I got my footage from here which wasn't bad quality but presumably you could get even better by contacting the right person.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/07/templates/listpop.html?mcVideo=1178173245

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Bump for a little more feedback.

Nathan Hale
10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
You have copyright issues. If the footage is from the Chronicle then you're in trouble already. I also don't know the source of the music but it sounds pretty professional, so I'd imagine its use is restricted.

Good idea though. I would agree that you need to more carefully vet the CONTENT Paul is saying, but I like the "interview" approach, I like his casual clothing and attitude, and I like the cut to: shot of him with the crowd in the end. It's a good technique for a campaign commercial and the campaign would do well to emulate it.

I actually disagree with the poster who suggested that Paul get more made up. Glare is one thing, but just look at the Ron Paul we were given in the most recent set of official campaign TV ads - it looked like he was just finished bronzing for a trip to South Beach for spring break. Better to show him au natural.

American
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
I think they are very very good, keep up the good work. I think its perfect just the way it is though. I wouldnt change nada

side note: you can tell by the ratings that there are trolls here that dont want us to succeed and look for every opportunity to bash what they know will work......the commercial is great!!!

Geronimo
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Very well done.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 08:18 PM
You have copyright issues. If the footage is from the Chronicle then you're in trouble already. I also don't know the source of the music but it sounds pretty professional, so I'd imagine its use is restricted.

Yeah, that's a given, hehe. Very likely overcomable though, some other candidates like McCain are using similar material and arguging fair use, but I mean you could probably get permission (or pay for it) anyway.

Good idea though. I would agree that you need to more carefully vet the CONTENT Paul is saying, but I like the "interview" approach, I like his casual clothing and attitude, and I like the cut to: shot of him with the crowd in the end. It's a good technique for a campaign commercial and the campaign would do well to emulate it.

I actually disagree with the poster who suggested that Paul get more made up. Glare is one thing, but just look at the Ron Paul we were given in the most recent set of official campaign TV ads - it looked like he was just finished bronzing for a trip to South Beach for spring break. Better to show him au natural.

I think that's exactly why I wanted to make this ad. I think political advertising doesn't follow the same rules as normal advertising, especially with a candidate like Paul. We shouldn't try to turn him into something he's not, and we shouldn't try to compromise his message too much. The most important thing we can do for Paul in my opinion is to let people connect with his personality. A semi-casual interview seems to me the best fit for doing that.

Suzu
10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Still won't play for me.

evadmurd
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Nice job. the first link wouldn't work, but the second one did. I could see that running somewhere.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Still won't play for me.

Ugh, really? I guess as a final resort you can try this link:

1. Install xvid codec: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/
2. http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RonPaul-NHxvid.avi

Thanks for trying to help with FTP earlier Suzu, but it was too feisty for my newbie self.

Leslie Webb
10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Great ad! Ron is relaxed and natural in a way that he can't be in the debates because of having to rush to complete his answers within the time limit. With this ad he will impress the average viewer as authentic and sincere... shades of the great communicator Reagan.

Hope the campaign will settle copyright issues on the ad and use it.

kenc9
10-28-2007, 09:18 PM
After being frustrated with the commercial they posted yesterday, I decided to make my own. Like a total newbie I used MS Paint, but hey I wanted to take my best shot. Please give some feedback, and anybody with some actual editing skills if you want my slightly better quality source materials for whatever reason just message me. You'll notice at the end of the commercial I cut off Ron's voice... it should be pretty obvious why.

I decided not to go the Youtube route; this is mostly for my/our entertainment. Please don't spread the link beyond this forum or you'll rape my hosting and then I'll have to take it down.

http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RonPaul-NH.mpg
or
http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RP-NH/RP-NH.html - Very low quality

Thanks to OptionsMonster on Youtube for his help last night.

That is good offer it up to HQ to air.

LibertyEagle
10-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I like what you're doing very much, but I've always disliked Paul's statement about what he didn't want to do as President. The reason I do not like it, is that most people won't have any idea what he's talking about. They think that it is a President's job to do those things and they don't understand why it is dangerous. Something along these lines is in the famous "the speech" that Reagan gave on Goldwater's behalf in '64, but it was said much better. So yes, I very much like what you're doing with this commercial and the style of it, but we need a better quote from Paul.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
That is good offer it up to HQ to air.

Don't know anybody at HQ and never contacted them before, donno if I'd feel comfortable doing it myself.

However if there's anybody else who liked the video and talks to HQ every now and then, feel free to show it to them and get their opinion. Thanks.

ronpaulyourmom
10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I like what you're doing very much, but I've always disliked Paul's statement about what he didn't want to do as President. The reason I do not like it, is that most people won't have any idea what he's talking about. They think that it is a President's job to do those things and they don't understand why it is dangerous. Something along these lines is in the famous "the speech" that Reagan gave on Goldwater's behalf in '64, but it was said much better. So yes, I very much like what you're doing with this commercial and the style of it, but we need a better quote from Paul.

I sort of feel like after Bush, people are a bit more aware of why it's a good thing. In fact, I think there's a huge portion of the population that actually loves it. I donno, maybe I'm out of touch.

LibertyEagle
10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
There's still a much better way to say the same thing.

Suzu
10-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I guess as a final resort you can try this link:

http://kartikeya.dreamhosters.com/RonPaul-NHxvid.avi

Thanks for trying to help with FTP earlier Suzu, but it was too feisty for my newbie self.

I finally got to see the ad you made. Kind of odd that at the end it says "This is Ron Paul, candidate for president, and a-" with the end cut off.

I've uploaded the file for you, and now others can download it from http://ronpaulnetwork.info/video/rp_ad.avi

literatim
10-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Problems.

1. Copyright issues, both footage and music.
2. No actual message of what Ron Paul is about.
3. The ending where it says "This is Ron Paul, a candidate for President and a-" makes it sound like its from the official campaign which is illegal.
4. No notification of a PAC and that its not affiliated with the official campaign.

ronpaulyourmom
10-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Problems.

1. Copyright issues, both footage and music.
2. No actual message of what Ron Paul is about.
3. The ending where it says "This is Ron Paul, a candidate for President and a-" makes it sound like its from the official campaign which is illegal.
4. No notification of a PAC and that its not affiliated with the official campaign.

This ad is not going to air anywhere, it's just my interpretation of what an ad from the campaign should be like. It's purely a thought exercise. As for not directly addressing specific issues, the idea is that it wouldn't be the only ad that gets run. This would be something to run in tandem with very issue driven ads such as the 2nd NH ad released by the campaign.

ronpaulyourmom
10-29-2007, 04:38 AM
This ad is not going to air anywhere, it's just my interpretation of what an ad from the campaign should be like. It's purely a thought exercise. As for not directly addressing specific issues, the idea is that it wouldn't be the only ad that gets run. This would be something to run in tandem with very issue driven ads such as the 2nd NH ad released by the campaign.

But... I went ahead and invested 20 minutes to add a text disclaimer at the end. All links have been updated.

Joey Wahoo
10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Its excellent. Very well done imo.

parke
10-30-2007, 06:41 PM
I cant get it either.. upload to yt??