PDA

View Full Version : TX - Man dials 911 for heart attack, cops show up instead, taser and beat man to death.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Lawsuit alleges, from incident in 2009.

Wrongful death suit filed against La Marque police

5/21/2011 1:31 PM By John Suayan, Galveston Bureau

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/235639-wrongful-death-suit-filed-against-la-marque-police

GALVESTON - Joslynn Terrell, Angela Butler and Crystal Truitt pursue legal action in response to the 2009 death of a La Marque man reportedly at the hands of police.

A lawsuit filed May 16 in federal court alleges the late Jamaal R. Valentine sought medical attention for an apparent heart attack only to be met and beaten by three La Marque police officers.

It further claims one of the officers used a Taser, manufactured by Taser International Inc., on Valentine more than once despite the decedent not showing any signs of resistance. Valentine later succumbed to his reported injuries.

The city of La Marque, former police chief Richard Price, Taser International and officers Richard Garcia, Forest Gandy and Mike Keleman are defendants in the case.

Recent court documents explain that the decedent began to feel chest pains the evening of May 16, 2009, and went outside to get some air. He thought was he was suffering a heart attack so he flagged down a passing motorist for help, they say.

The driver, Keith Pope, called 911 and subsequently remained with Valentine until emergency responders arrived.

The plaintiffs argue that Garcia, Gandy and Keleman appeared instead of paramedics.

They allegedly drew their weapons on Valentine and instructed him to put his hands behind his back, disregarding his need for medical attention, the suit says.

According to the original petition, the policemen proceeded to punch, Taser and beat the decedent with their flashlights. Valentine was reported to have pleaded for his life to no avail.

The attacks in question left him with a "significant" gash in his scalp and labored breathing. An ambulance finally arrived some 30 minutes after the initial call, however, 20 minutes passed before paramedics lent assistance to Valentine, the plaintiffs say.

The decedent was rushed to a hospital in Houston, but the ambulance was rerouted to Mainland Medical Center in Texas City when he went into cardiac arrest. Valentine was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival.

The suit ultimately accuses the city and Price of failing to properly and thoroughly screen and supervise the officers who allegedly assaulted the decedent.

It blames said officers for intentionally inflicting harm on him while Taser International is faulted for not placing adequate warnings on its products.

Consequently, the plaintiffs seek wrongful death, exemplary and survival damages in addition to attorney's fees.

They are represented by Sloan, Bagley, Hatcher & Perry Law Firm.

The case has been assigned to U.S. District Court Judge Kenneth M. Hoyt.

libertygrl
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
WTF?????? Everyday there's another story! The war is on WE THE PEOPLE!

QueenB4Liberty
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah that's ridiculous there is another cop killer story every damn day. OMG.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Keep in mind folks, this was an incident from 2009.

Just like the old man who got his face broken in Alabama, the suit had to be filed within two years.

Not that it makes it any better, and I'll bet money that the beat cops in question are still working.

JK/SEA
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
C'mon, we need to fill in the blanks here. The decedent immediately assaulted the police while having a heart attack. One tough dude. Then the Police in an attempt to arrest the decedent had to tazer the decedent for resisting while having a heart attack. Upon learning that paramedics were on the way, flashlights were then used as clubs to further attempts to subdue the decedent who by now was unconscious, but further tazing was necessary as the safety of the officers was now critical.

Oh, and by the way, the decedent decided to die later on.

Medals and paid vacations are forthcoming as well as a parade schduled after the investigation in approx 3 months.

Vessol
05-23-2011, 05:06 PM
They were probably taught in the academy that beating a mundane is the best way to cure any medical ill. They were just trying to help the man..with extreme prejudice.

jclay2
05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Unreal, just unreal.

Hey AF, have you been screening more intensely? The shear amount and content of postings you have done lately is disturbing.

QueenB4Liberty
05-23-2011, 05:11 PM
I've heard about this before, I think. Or maybe cops kill people who are ill often. I'm trying not to be too cynical here.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Unreal, just unreal.

Hey AF, have you been screening more intensely? The shear amount and content of postings you have done lately is disturbing.

No, not really.

I laid low for a couple of weeks while the Usama killing was at the top of the news and then piped down during RP's announcement week, just so I wouldn't scare off the straights that were coming to the site for the first time.

So a couple of these were ones that were in the pile, but the vast majority of them have been recent stories.

That's how it goes as well, all hell will break loose for a month or two, then it will quiet down, and then blow back up again, worse than before.

Freedom 4 all
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I've heard about this before, I think. Or maybe cops kill people who are ill often. I'm trying not to be too cynical here.

Cowards always target the weakest prey. Ill people are convenient targets.

oleladyhounddog
05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/InjusticeNews
Go here and scroll down. last addition was 30 some odd minutes ago. Just don't over do it on your 1st look. You're subject to blow a gasket.

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-23-2011, 06:22 PM
In b4 the bootlickers...

Freedom 4 all
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
In b4 the bootlickers...

Thankfully this is RPF. Where else can you say that on page 2 of one of these stories lol?

thehungarian
05-23-2011, 06:42 PM
If you were the man he flagged down for help and hypothetically were licensed to carry(and were) what would you do when you see three armed men assault a helpless, dying man like that? It would be tough not to pull on them. God damnit I wish I knew kung-fu.

DamianTV
05-24-2011, 04:05 AM
Keep in mind folks, this was an incident from 2009.

Just like the old man who got his face broken in Alabama, the suit had to be filed within two years.

Not that it makes it any better, and I'll bet money that the beat cops in question are still working.

Not only are they still working, they increase their traffic and beating quotas in order to afford any cases they lose. In the end, we pay for it one way or another. What a corrupted system huh?

oyarde
05-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Scumbags

Acala
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
A taser is just a defibrilator with a pistol grip. And you need to strap the patient down when you apply the defib because of the muscle spasms, hence the cuffs. They were just trying to help the best they could with the tools at hand. The beatings were . . . uh . . . chest compressions. That's right. It is best if you compress the chest from several different angles. If you hit someone hard enough on the top of the head it WILL compress the chest. So, as usual, no good deed by our men in blue goes unpunished. They are so misunderstood.

Soca Taliban
05-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Are there more details? I'm trying to understand how you dial 911 and then cops show up and beat you to death......
Why did it take paramedics 30 minutes to arrive and why did the cops show up at all if this was a medical call?

JK/SEA
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Probably a scary part of town..you know..families with DOGS and tempermental 10 yr. old girls and stuff. Can't be too careful when officer safety is in doubt.

oyarde
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Are there more details? I'm trying to understand how you dial 911 and then cops show up and beat you to death......
Why did it take paramedics 30 minutes to arrive and why did the cops show up at all if this was a medical call?

I called 911 once in my entire life for medical , sherrif deputy arrived long before ambulance .

Acala
05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I called 911 once in my entire life for medical , sherrif deputy arrived long before ambulance .

Cops are nosy and bored most of the time.

AFPVet
05-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Cops are nosy and bored most of the time.

We would always respond first in my department; however, instead of getting a taser or expandable baton, you would actually receive first aid. We had a med pack and AED in the trunk.

Veritas3
05-24-2011, 12:25 PM
It is really disturbing to me that all these wrongful deaths are occurring from people that are supposed to protect people. My cities cops are notorious for being overzealous when it comes to self defense.... I understand that they are in a job that can be very dangerous, but they seem to overreact and do more harm than good. Only people who are breaking the law should have issue with law enforcement, not innocent by-standards...

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
To train a lion, one has to be submissive to its predatory nature. As police officers serve a necessary tyranny or tyrant, a fireman or paramedic serves the people. So, when calling for assistance, it is always best to ask for an ambulance while not giving out any specifics. Just ask for it, give the address, and then hang up.
When the police have arrived on the scene before the ambulance, it is always best to notify them that emergency personel have been called and are on their way to the scence.
In other words, there exists no such thing as an emergency for tyranny. Tyranny is always tranquil while it always benefits from an election whether it wins or loses. In comparison, the people are always at a disadvantage living in a constant state of emergency. Social conflict will naturally happen just as fires pop up on occasion. So, the emergency should supercede the policing.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-24-2011, 12:46 PM
It is really disturbing to me that all these wrongful deaths are occurring from people that are supposed to protect people. My cities cops are notorious for being overzealous when it comes to self defense.... I understand that they are in a job that can be very dangerous, but they seem to overreact and do more harm than good. Only people who are breaking the law should have issue with law enforcement, not innocent by-standards...

But that is a fallacy. The police are not here to protect the people, but to protect the necessary tyranny ruling over them.
Think about it. Who gets protected during a disaster? Why, it is the head of government. Why? Well they believe that is the only way the Consitution of a nation can be saved. Yet, when only the head survives, all one is left with is tyranny.
As the real power is the Truth, there is nothing tyranny can do to defeat the Civil Purpose of the people.
The militia protects the people, not the military or the police. What happens during times of riots? The police are called back to form a line to protect the head or the necessary tyranny ruling over the people. Meanwhile, the people are left abandoned.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
We would always respond first in my department; however, instead of getting a taser or expandable baton, you would actually receive first aid. We had a med pack and AED in the trunk.

The desperation by emergency personel in arriving at the scene quickly shouldn't be just to treat the injured victim or victims, but to protect the injured from the police who might arrive before them.

Anti Federalist
05-25-2011, 02:08 AM

Also not exactly true.

"Police Officer" is not even listed on the top ten most dangerous jobs.

And most cop deaths are from vehicle and traffic accidents.

AFPVet
05-25-2011, 02:15 AM
The desperation by emergency personnel in arriving at the scene quickly shouldn't be just to treat the injured victim or victims, but to protect the injured from the police who might arrive before them.

I never thought about another law enforcement agency arriving before me and doing unconscionable things. Although, I lived in a small town in Indiana. I do remember one thing that my old captain told me however... "there are things that you as a reserve don't know about what goes on."