PDA

View Full Version : Campaign to Suggest Tom Woods to Head up Debate Preparation

mac_hine
05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
I saw this over at the DP and think it's a #winning idea.

Hello All,

I am starting an email campaign to try to persuade the Ron Paul Campaign to bring on Tom Woods to head up the debate preparations. I think most of us were a little less than thrilled with the debate performance in South Carolina and to win the nomination, Dr. Paul has to speak to the masses, not just us "Paulites."

Tom Woods has stated he would be more than willing to help with Dr. Paul's campaign. Tom is one of the best debaters in the Liberty movement, and recently Mark Levin backed down and wouldn't debate him. Tom knows how to get through to the "zombies" of the Republican primary, and I feel could really help Dr. Paul in his content and delivery.

I have no idea if Tom would actually be available but I figure it cannot hurt to ask and Dr. Paul has always said this is a grassroots campaign.
-
Mr. Benton,

We all know that Dr. Paul has more knowledge and wisdom than all of the Republican primary contenders combined. Dr. Paul has mentioned multiple times that his campaign is run by the grassroots. Being a member of the grassroots, I have to suggest Tom Woods to head up Dr. Paul's debate preparation in the future Republican debates. Dr. Woods has stated he would be willing to assist in Dr. Paul's campaign and as one of the most dynamic debaters in the modern Liberty movement, he could certainly be an asset. Please utilize him.

Thank you,

-
Dr. Woods,

I am writing to inform you that I have suggested your name to head up debate preparations to the Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign. I feel you would be a huge asset in getting the Freedom message across to the Republican "Zombies." You are an incredible debater and know how and what to speak to the populous. I understand you are a very busy and dynamic man but if you could find the time to assist at all in Dr. Paul's campaign, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
-

Jesse Benton is on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/#!/LibertyPAC If you have twitter, please tweet him. Does anyone know Jesse Benton's email address or the generic address for the campaign?

Also, I contacted Tom at his website, http://www.tomwoods.com/contact/ , but if anyone has a better email address for him as well, let me know and I'll post it.

Please contact the Paul Campaign and Tom and let them know our thoughts. And if anyone has an account at RPF, please post there as well.

**UPDATED 5/23/2011**

bubbaallred started a facebook group and Tom Woods has joined. You can join here, https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_211360688884660

Tom Woods emailed me back this morning and said he would love to help the campaign but he considers it very unlikely that he will be approached. We still need an email for the campaign so we can let them know!!!!

Jesse Benton's on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/LibertyPAC Please tweet him!!

Sentinelrv
05-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Great idea! We really need Ron to improve the delivery of his message and I know of no one more qualified to help him out than Tom Woods.

Agorism
05-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Tom Woods is going to have to run for office eventually. He lives in Alabama?

ForLibertyFight
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I'll be attending Nully Now in LA this Sunday and if I have a chance to talk to him, I'll bring this up.

trey4sports
05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
more importantly we really need Tom in Congress

mac_hine
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll be attending Nully Now in LA this Sunday and if I have a chance to talk to him, I'll bring this up.

Tom Woods - Well, if there is anything they think I could contribute, I would gladly do it, and I'm easy to track down.

mac_hine
05-23-2011, 05:51 PM
more importantly we really need Tom in Congress

Let's get Ron into the WH first. There's plenty of time for Tom to run for Congress (if that's even an aspiration of his). He's expressed an interest in helping with the campaign. he's even joined the FB group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_211360688884660&view=members

I think the next step is to get on Benton's ass and demand that he contact Tom.

Sentinelrv
05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Shoudn't we be contacting the campaign instead of Jesse? Steve Bierfeldt is in charge right?

mac_hine
05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
You're right. Anyone have his contact info?

Aldanga
05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Tom Woods is going to have to run for office eventually. He lives in Alabama?
Kansas, actually.

Flash
05-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Tom Woods will never never be in office. I'm sorry, but he admitted publically that 's an anarchist. That will kill his campaign.

Sentinelrv
05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I think he's better suited to educating the masses anyway. He'll help to wake people up so that they can run for congress.

trey4sports
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
You're right. Anyone have his contact info?

www.iowaforronpaul.com

Questions? Contact Iowa Executive Director Steve Bierfeldt at 515.822.5483

BUSHLIED
05-23-2011, 06:16 PM
No it would be Jesse. Steve is in charge of IOWA. You'll have to bombard the campaign to get the point across...last cycle this same issue was address and I doubt Ron goes for it though...you'll just have to accept Ron as he is. He could use a prepared speech though...as I pointed out he needs to be preemptive and out in front of the media and his critics, something he is always reacting too...being put on the defense. He needs to come out with a foreign policy plan and put it out, have CSPAN there etc...he needs to call out Obama as if he is the front-runner...

though unfortunately, it is true that he needs to speak better, he needs to slow down, and educate in simple language, although he tries when he explains the FED and inflation...the people who havent been expose, he will lose them

american.swan
05-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Tom Woods will never never be in office. I'm sorry, but he admitted publically that 's an anarchist. That will kill his campaign.

Great point. He'd have to run for a state house position in a district that would accept his views. (like Bradley)

Flash
05-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Great point. He'd have to run for a state house position in a district that would accept his views. (like Bradley)

Even then I'm not so sure. Most of the 'anarchists' on this forum became anarchists after years and years of spending time with Libertarians & AnCaps on forums. And these were extreme Libertarians from the beginning. The average Conservative is never going to accept Anarchy as a legitimate ideology. Even if he ran for State Rep, his opponent will sink his campaign quite easily.

Maltheus
05-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Jesse Benton isn't into good ideas. That's not his thing.

Flash
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh, and by the way, Tom basically said on Skype that the campaign doesn't want anything to do with him. I have the audio recorded but wouldn't feel comfortable posting it without his permission.

sailingaway
05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
I think Tom is terrific but is too snarky to be the one to prep Ron, their styles are just so different. He'd do great with Rand....

I think Doug Wead might be the person for that, and I thought he would be doing that. But Ron was pretty good in the debate we had so far. He just has to remember his audience is behind the camera.

K466
05-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Not sure where he said that. He has gotten real close to anarchy but I haven't read where he publicly went all the way.

He is so good I think he would be able to respond to the anarchy attack effectively, and with our donations, win a US house seat. Senate, not so sure.

However, being a politician probably isn't the best use of Tom's time, unless a really good opportunity comes up.

sailingaway
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Shoudn't we be contacting the campaign instead of Jesse? Steve Bierfeldt is in charge right?

Steve is in charge in Iowa, I think that may be full time. I'm not sure about overall.

sailingaway
05-31-2011, 10:16 AM
No it would be Jesse. Steve is in charge of IOWA. You'll have to bombard the campaign to get the point across...last cycle this same issue was address and I doubt Ron goes for it though...you'll just have to accept Ron as he is. He could use a prepared speech though...as I pointed out he needs to be preemptive and out in front of the media and his critics, something he is always reacting too...being put on the defense. He needs to come out with a foreign policy plan and put it out, have CSPAN there etc...he needs to call out Obama as if he is the front-runner...

though unfortunately, it is true that he needs to speak better, he needs to slow down, and educate in simple language, although he tries when he explains the FED and inflation...the people who havent been expose, he will lose them

No Ron should NOT use a prepared speech. He isn't good at that and he is great extempore. He does have to find his groove a bit sometimes, and could use some practice in framing some likely to arise complicated concepts succinctly, but compare his interviews and speeches to what he reads on the floor or says in the 'obvious speech' videos for Campaign for Liberty (as opposed to the ones where he just speaks to us.) He isn't Mr. Teleprompter. And since we already have one of those, that is fine with me.

TheTyke
05-31-2011, 10:50 AM
I love Tom Woods to death, and he is very eloquent... if a touch sarcastic at times. But does he have the specialization to know how to frame things to win an election? I have always seen him arguing principles and logic - which don't win elections. He's very smart, so he might be able to adjust... but I'm thinking Doug Wead here. He had the IA strategy, has lots of experience, and knows how to win over evangelicals etc.

But I am all for debate coaches... pretty sure Rand had em.

Raudsarw
05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Not sure where he said that. He has gotten real close to anarchy but I haven't read where he publicly went all the way.

He is so good I think he would be able to respond to the anarchy attack effectively, and with our donations, win a US house seat. Senate, not so sure.

However, being a politician probably isn't the best use of Tom's time, unless a really good opportunity comes up.

Here is Tom Woods with Doug Casey. Both come out and say that they don't think government should exist at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpmqy9tC4uI

I would LOVE if Tom Woods got elected, I think he could make a lot of noise and get libertarianism a lot of attention.

sailingaway
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Here is Tom Woods with Doug Casey. Both come out and say that they don't think government should exist at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpmqy9tC4uI

I would LOVE if Tom Woods got elected, I think he could make a lot of noise and get libertarianism a lot of attention.

Even if you could parse it as meaning the same thing saying you are an 'anarchist' carries baggage in people's minds (usually involving black clothes and bombs) and I'd be careful using it to describe someone who doesn't use it to label themselves. Tom, in particular, tends towards hyperbole in making a point.

ClayTrainor
05-31-2011, 11:04 AM

Also...

http://content.screencast.com/users/CharlieTango/folders/Jing/media/9e0e6117-b8b6-41e8-b2b8-a33dd076b341/2011-05-18_2141.png

Romulus
05-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Anarchists for Ron Paul... lol I love it.

rockandrollsouls
05-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Why would we ever try to get woods to prepare Ron for a debate? How about someone that has a history of preparing winners?

You guys are so caught up with getting the purest, most constitutionally ideal campaign staff that we'll never bloody win.

Damnit, give me someone that will help Ron WIN debates. Clean up some of the rambling, help him hit home with the typical "republicans."

I get sick of listening to Woods speak after 1 minute...do we really need another failure on top of the already failed campaign of Jesse Benton? Good lord....

bamafanmco
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Nevermind

Aldanga
05-31-2011, 02:08 PM
I get sick of listening to Woods speak after 1 minute...do we really need another failure on top of the already failed campaign of Jesse Benton? Good lord....
Do you do nothing but complain and post negative comments? Sheesh...

People want Tom Woods because he is clear in his speaking and very articulate. He can shrink complex ideas into simple forms which the public understands, and people think he could help Ron to do this more successfully. That's all it is.

Hotchney
05-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Woods is good and Paul needs a debate coach. He needs to practice answers for potential questions he will be asked.
He will be doing us all a disservice if he can't take some time to hone the message and make the most of every question asked.

Thomas
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
You owe it to your philosophy to study how to win. You have a moral obligation to learn how to win.
-Morton C. Blackwell
Founder and President of the Leadership Institute

BuddyRey
05-31-2011, 04:45 PM
I think Ron Paul enlisting Tom Woods as a debate coach would be the single greatest decision his campaign has yet made. Tom is cocky, brash, and confident; Republicans love that! I just hope his style translates well through Ron, and that we get some more classic kickass soundbytes like the one Ron gave about the Drug War last time.

rockandrollsouls
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Show me how Tom has won anything in this regard? What has he worked on of any significance?

You guys take it as "negative" posting but I can tell you as someone that doesn't enjoy hearing long-winded, patronizing lectures about gold, austrian economics, and the tiny, articulate details of 90% of the issues....probably like the typical voter, I don't think Tom's speaking would translate well.

I want to win. The campaign is filling itself with individuals who have done everything but.

I can tell you anytime I've heard Tom speak he's come off as condescending, unapproachable, long-winded, and just plain uninspiring. Take it as offensive because 95% of the forum is on their knees for him because he's a champion of Austrian economics, but it's the truth.

I think Ron Paul enlisting Tom Woods as a debate coach would be the single greatest decision his campaign has yet made. Tom is cocky, brash, and confident; Republicans love that! I just hope his style translates well through Ron, and that we get some more classic kickass soundbytes like the one Ron gave about the Drug War last time.

rockandrollsouls
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
No, people want Tom Woods because he carries the whole "If you're not an Austrian Economist and die hard libertarian you're worthless" attitude. Seems to be prominent here.

People want Tom Woods because he is clear in his speaking and very articulate. He can shrink complex ideas into simple forms which the public understands, and people think he could help Ron to do this more successfully. That's all it is.

Danke
05-31-2011, 05:35 PM

It seems to be his style.

rockandrollsouls
05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Loser talk. Don't change a thing and we won't win.

You know what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

It seems to be his style.

BuddyRey
05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
You know what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

I don't get it. What is it we're doing now that we've done before unsuccessfully, in your view?

rockandrollsouls
05-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Feel free to search my recent previous posts. I go into detail about what is being done poorly and how we could do it better. Or better yet, compare 2008 to 2012 campaigns. If you're not seeing any difference....well there you go.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Tom Woods is going to have to run for office eventually. He lives in Alabama?I think Kansas now.

Jesse Benton isn't into good ideas. That's not his thing.
Not completely sure, but one could think that maybe Ron prepares himself for his own debates; it seems like his style. Did anyone here ever consider that possibility? :confused:

Danke
06-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Loser talk. Don't change a thing and we won't win.

Can't say I disagree, or really have a problem with your style. :D Just staying how I see it.;)