PDA

View Full Version : USDA fines family four million dollars for selling bunny rabbits

tropicangela
05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
:confused::(:mad:

After meandering the premises, the inspector claimed that a few very insignificant aspects of the raising facility were in violation of USDA standards, even though the Dollarhites were not USDA certified, nor were they required to be.

The letter outlined that the Dollarhites had until May 23 to pay the exorbitant fine, or else face additional fines totaling nearly $4 million -- all for selling about $4,600 worth of rabbits that netted the family a mere $200 in profits.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032476_rabbits_USDA.html

Lucille
05-23-2011, 02:01 PM
::sigh::

The whole scenario proves, once again, that the USDA is nothing more than a tag-team terrorist duo with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Both agencies' insatiable lust for power and control over private affairs is never satisfied, as they continue to prowl around like bloodthirsty predators seeking whoever and whatever they can devour. When will Americans finally stand up to their tyranny and say enough is enough?

I dunno. Never?

pcosmar
05-23-2011, 02:02 PM
This is why I sell NOTHING from my farm.

trey4sports
05-23-2011, 02:04 PM
fucking thugs

Dr.3D
05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Now I'm wondering how long before they come for my chickens. I don't sell anything though. Of course I'm sure they can come up with something else to slap me with.

specsaregood
05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
geezus.

tropicangela
05-23-2011, 02:21 PM
I sent them an email. Who knows what good it will do.

To contact the APHIS division of the USDA responsible for this mess and express your thoughts on the matter, write, call, or email:
USDA/APHIS/AC
4700 River Road, Unit 84
Riverdale, MD 20737-1234
ace@aphis.usda.gov
(301) 734-4978

pcosmar
05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm voting Ron Paul for the elimination of this and other invasive depts.

belian78
05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Spread this around, this could be a huge issue. There are private breeders all over the country and even in Canada who would be outraged by this. My sister n brother in law breed from their home, and something like this will upset them greatly.

BeautifulWorld
05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
They should encourage resourcefulness rather than outlawing it.

Better wake up all you animal rights supporters who bitch about 'puppy mills' and whatnot without the slightest real knowledge of what it's really about.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/22/obama-regulatory-czars-confirmation-held-hunting-rights-proponent/

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/can-animals-save-us/whats-so-special-about-humans?b_start:int=0&-C=

specsaregood
05-23-2011, 02:29 PM
//

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Unintended consequence: Rabbit population sees a rapid plummet. Government response: More intervention to solve the prior intervention!

Aren't we glad we have such a benevolent institution to rule us idiots?

KingRobbStark
05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
4 million? Really. God damn. Is there any audit of that department?

pcosmar
05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah, this very well could have been me and my family. I did the exact same thing in the same state when I was growing up. Sold plenty of bunnies.

Shhh,
They can still come after you retroactively.
:(

BeautifulWorld
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Spread this around, this could be a huge issue. There are private breeders all over the country and even in Canada who would be outraged by this. My sister n brother in law breed from their home, and something like this will upset them greatly.

Hi-five to your sister and her husband.

Please click on the links I posted above. It starts with dog licenses, permits, spay/neuter laws, and pet limits and ends with God knows what. The animal rights movement is potentially THE most frightening threat to human existence.

specsaregood
05-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Shhh,
They can still come after you retroactively.
:(

I dunno, I'm guessing the govt caught on and knew how much they sold because they declared it on their taxes.

Chester Copperpot
05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I think its a safe assumption that some other "registered" breeder is the one who made the complaint.. Lets find out who it is.

specsaregood
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I dunno, I'm guessing the govt caught on and knew how much they sold because they declared it on their taxes.

either ^ or they volunteered the information.

I think the lesson here is to treat ANY govt employee the same as the Cops. The rule of, "Don't talk to the cops" should thus be modified to: "Don't talk to government employees." It sounds like they screwed up by letting the first inspector do a spot inspection. They should have said, "No and don't come back unless you have a warrant."

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM

I think the lesson here is to treat ANY govt employee the same as the Cops. The rule of, "Don't talk to the cops" should thus be modified to: "Don't talk to government employees." It sounds like they screwed up by letting the first inspector do a spot inspection. They should have said, "No and don't come back unless you have a warrant."

Always. I've made it a habit to say nothing and when I do say anything it is an emphatic NO (can I search you car, your house, your whatever).

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I just posted this on Facebook.... Thanks for the link. I am leaving you some +rep

Mahkato
05-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Typical response from my friends: "But, I don't raise rabbits. Why should I care?"

BeautifulWorld
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Typical response from my friends: "But, I don't raise rabbits. Why should I care?"

This is why they should care.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/22/obama-regulatory-czars-confirmation-held-hunting-rights-proponent/

BamaAla
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
My God these people are worthless. If they had to exist outside of being government bureaucrats/thugs, they would starve.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 03:40 PM

That ^^^^ +rep +1776 + ∞

Never talk to any government "official" without full counsel and knowledge of your rights and always keeping in mind the fact that anything you say or that they witness after letting them into your home/domicile/farm/property, will be used against you.

They are not there to help. Any uncalled for appearance of a state enforcer is trouble, big fucking trouble, and you had damn well better keep that in mind,

'Course, after the spate of recent court rulings, a warrant is pretty much a thing of the past, the state can enter your home or property pretty much anytime it feels like, now.

Still, don't kiss the fucker's asses, make 'em work to hang anything on you.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 03:48 PM
When will Americans finally stand up to their tyranny and say enough is enough?

Somebody already said this, but I'll answer again: Never.

Dr.3D
05-23-2011, 03:50 PM
When will Americans finally stand up to their tyranny and say enough is enough?
Maybe when they feel they have nothing left to lose.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
John called the office and was redirected to the Washington, DC, office where a lady shockingly and bluntly explained to him that she had his report, and that the USDA planned to prosecute him and his family "to the maximum that we can" in order to "make an example" out of him.

Just another day in Amerika, where the very long and arbitrary arm of the law will reach out and ruin your life in ways you never suspected.

And once again, to those of our fellow "citizens" that bleat, "Well if you're not doing anything wrong, what do have to hide", when confronted with police state atrocities, I say, shove it up your ass, sideways.

As far as the regime is concerned, we are all, every one of us, doing something wrong, every day.

Just as an aside, why is so much of this police state shit coming out of Missouri?

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
The sweet smell of persecution and suffering. I hope these people are enjoying the statist cake they have baked with votes...

HOLLYWOOD
05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
It's another data point for RP's Campaign to communicate to the people, especially IOWA... I hope the staffers are cognizant of this 'Big Government Terror" and loading the campaign barrels

trey4sports
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Just another day in Amerika, where the very long and arbitrary arm of the law will reach out and ruin your life in ways you never suspected.

And once again, to those of our fellow "citizens" that bleat, "Well if you're not doing anything wrong, what do have to hide", when confronted with police state atrocities, I say, shove it up your ass, sideways.

As far as the regime is concerned, we are all, every one of us, doing something wrong, every day.

Just as an aside, why is so much of this police state shit coming out of Missouri?

Missouri sucks, thats why

Lucille
05-23-2011, 04:29 PM
This is why they should care.

USDA Stands Behind Hare-Raising Fine (Update) (http://bobmccarty.com/2011/05/19/usda-stands-behind-hare-raising-fine/) (via http://biggovernment.com/bmccarty/2011/05/20/family-facing-4-million-in-fines-for-selling-bunnies/ )

USDA certainly realizes that $90,000 is a lot of money. But we’ve been called upon by Congress to enforce the Animal Welfare Act so that regulated animals are humanely cared for and treated. And the reality is that there is no way we can guarantee that this care is being provided to these animals unless all individuals conducting regulated activities are licensed.

I wonder when the tyrants will start demanding they be able to inspect our house pets and their environments...

Chester Copperpot
05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Missouri sucks, thats why
didnt the MIAC report come out of missouri?

dannno
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
This is why our country sucks so much and it amazes me when I have to argue with people about government regulators..

I'm voting Ron Paul for the elimination of this and other invasive depts.

I'd probably vote for any candidate who wanted to do any ONE of the following:

End the war on drugs

or

End the FDA/USDA

or

End our overseas empire

Ron Paul makes things really convenient.

dannno
05-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Because they are paying for people to ruin other people's lives. It's one thing if they are doing it against their will at gun point, but with that attitude they are in full support and that is immoral.

pcosmar
05-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Ron Paul makes things really convenient.

All of the above. :)

And then some.

LittleLightShining
05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
When will Americans finally stand up to their tyranny and say enough is enough? Somebody already said this, but I'll answer again: Never.

We're working on it in VT http://www.vtcommons.org/blog/2011/05/17/most-likely-secede-second-vermont-town-passes-food-sovereignty-measure

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I wonder when the tyrants will start demanding they be able to inspect our house pets and their environments...

Oh, don't say that, when I brought up the fact, in another thread, that cops monitor electric usage in your home and will start busting people for using "prohibited" incandescent bulbs in the future, I was called a krawzy konspiracy theorist, or words to that effect.

Bet these same people would have called you nuts if you told them that USDA would fine people $4 million for selling $200 bucks worth of healthy, high quality, rabbits.

And the reality is that there is no way we can guarantee that this care is being provided to these animals unless all individuals conducting regulated activities are licensed.

And "licensing" prevents this, how?

Last time I checked, plenty of people with licenses crash their cars.

Plenty of pilots with licenses crash their planes.

Plenty of doctors kill people through "medical misadventure" that have licenses.

LittleLightShining
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
This is why our country sucks so much and it amazes me when I have to argue with people about government regulators..

I'd probably vote for any candidate who wanted to do any ONE of the following:

End the war on drugs

or

End the FDA/USDA

or

End our overseas empire

Ron Paul makes things really convenient.Right? When I went to see him in Exeter and he started talking about raw milk I thought my head would pop off. Amazing... amazing ;) When I met him outside I told him I hoped to hear , "End the FDA!" like we hear "End the Fed!"

Anti Federalist
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Right? When I went to see him in Exeter and he started talking about raw milk I thought my head would pop off. Amazing... amazing ;) When I met him outside I told him I hoped to hear , "End the FDA!" like we hear "End the Fed!"

You were there too?

Shit, I should have worn a sign, "Hi - I'm Anti Federalist".

I know, wasn't that great?

LittleLightShining
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
You were there too?

Shit, I should have worn a sign, "Hi - I'm Anti Federalist".

I know, wasn't that great?Shit! I saw Shem... Wish I knew who you were. You probably saw me, I had on a big hat. I'm going to try to swing the debate on the 13th.

specsaregood
12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340676-Family-wins-battle-against-USDA-won’t-pay-4-Million-in-fines-for-backyard-bunnies.

http://eli-bruton.blogspot.com/2011/12/family-wins-battle-against-usda-wont.html
Folks, please share this with everyone you know who says there is no use in fighting tyranny. A true win for the good guys.

http://eli-bruton.blogspot.com/2011/12/family-wins-battle-against-usda-wont.html

Krugerrand
12-21-2011, 09:57 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?340676-Family-wins-battle-against-USDA-won’t-pay-4-Million-in-fines-for-backyard-bunnies.

thanks for the follow up:

“We have a signed settlement with USDA. It isn’t everything we had hoped for because there wasn’t an apology included for all the nightmares we have endured these several months. There is no fine. They stipulated a 2 year ban on obtaining a USDA license, which we never wanted, nor can I ever envision us wanting anything to do with USDA. ….”

The victory comes after lawsuit launched by the couple which was funded in part by donations. But it was largely due to public outcry which placed pressure on elected representatives that put an end to the madness. Activists and liberty lovers rallied around the Dollarhite family and sent a message to the system.

Krugerrand
12-21-2011, 10:01 AM

And "licensing" prevents this, how?

Last time I checked, plenty of people with licenses crash their cars.

Plenty of pilots with licenses crash their planes.

Plenty of doctors kill people through "medical misadventure" that have licenses.

Individuals harmed by those with licenses should be allowed to sue the government for issuing the license. If the government doesn't stand behind them, what's the point of having the license?

dillo
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Individuals harmed by those with licenses should be allowed to sue the government for issuing the license. If the government doesn't stand behind them, what's the point of having the license?

immunity bro

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-21-2011, 08:18 PM
why do you need the government's permission to sell a lousy Rabbit?