PDA

View Full Version : Michele Bachmann Michele Bachmann worked on Jimmy Carter Presidential Campaign back when she was a Democrat

sailingaway
05-23-2011, 01:20 AM
"Then there’s the cardinal sin of working on Jimmy Carter’s presidential campaign back when she was a Democrat...."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51495.html#ixzz1N9qUTGGT

JacobG18
05-23-2011, 05:33 AM
.....mmm i don't think this will matter much.

sailingaway
05-23-2011, 07:15 AM
It was just something I hadn't seen before. I had thought of her as a born-and-bred conservative, I hadn't realized she had even been a Democrat.

hillertexas
05-23-2011, 07:23 AM
She was a Democrat?! sweeeeeeet

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Meh. Reagan made that switch, too. You can be forgiven for that if you're charismatic enough. Probably easier to be forgiven for that than for being a Libertarian. Somehow former Democrats are viewed as 'converts' while former Libertarians are seen as 'opportunists'.

Aratus
05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
was Ms. Bachmann a Democrat both in 1976 and 1980?
Trey Grayson had thought highly of Bill Clinton in 1992!
although i had never registered as a Democrat at all, i
had voted for Teddy Kennedy in the past. can i now run in
the MA. 5th district as a GOP person without :D someone
having my past catching up with me in a likewise manner.
technically i have not done :cool: mitt romney flipflops, insted
this more like EDMUND BURKE going from WHIG to TORY!

Aratus
05-23-2011, 10:32 AM
:collins:

i'd almost ask him to
be my campaign manager

Brian4Liberty
05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
How old was she, and what exactly did she do for the Carter campaign? Some people change their minds over time. Hillary Clinton was a Goldwater supporter...

Cleaner44
08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
1976 Campaigned for Democrat Jimmy Carter

Politico: Back in the day, you were a Jimmy Carter supporter.

Bachmann: When I was in college.

Politico: And now Carter is sort of the bane of conservatives. What are your feelings about him now?

Bachmann: I would agree that President Carter didn’t live up to the expectation we all had when he came in 1976. My husband and I were young idealists who worked on his campaign. The first time I came to Washington, D.C., was to dance at his inaugural ball. Our senator, Walter Mondale, became his VP pick … and we were extremely proud of him and proud to be working on the campaign and thrilled to come to Washington, D.C.

And it was freezing cold. We all had our down parkas on and we were all very excited about what he was going to do. He seemed very family oriented, very warm, very caring, and we just saw how quickly his policies — it wasn’t him personally — but how his policies were causing the economy to tank. And we were just very surprised at his policies regarding the family. We didn’t realize how socially liberal Jimmy Carter was. We didn’t realize how liberal he was on economics.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11048.html

libertybrewcity
08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
While Bachmann and Perry were supporting Democrats, Ron Paul was in Congress fighting big spending.

Cleaner44
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
When Ronald Reagan ran for the Republican nomination in 1976 he was opposed by the Republican leadership and was even considered a “kook” by many in the party.

Only four Republican congressman supported Reagan in 1976 and Ron Paul was one of them.

Paul supported Reagan and likewise Reagan supported Paul.

This is what Ronald Reagan had to say about Ron Paul on the issue of national defense:

“Ron Paul is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country.”

I wish we knew what Reagan did regarding Paul in 1976 and I wish we had a year for this quote.

Agorism
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Did she change parties because she didn't like the gay influence in the Democrat party?

Chieppa1
08-08-2011, 03:29 PM
so while one was campaigning for Jimmy Carter, the other was being good friends with Ronald Reagan...who's the conservative power house again?

trey4sports
08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
While Bachmann and Perry were supporting Democrats, Ron Paul was in Congress fighting big spending.

that would make for a good campaign slogan.

parocks
08-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Bachmann was a D in 1976, but I believe not in 1980. Whatever it is, she was in high school. It was 20 years before she ran for office.

Rick Perry was a state legislator as a Democrat. He ran Al Gore's campaign in Texas as a Democrat in 1988.

Karl Rove switched Perry from D to R, and ran Perry's campaign for Agriculture in 1990.

I'd give Bachmann a pass. She never ran for anything as a Democrat. Neither did Reagan. Rick Perry did.