PDA

View Full Version : Medical help needed in Joplin MO, hospital hit by tornado - twitter is full of it

sailingaway
05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't know if anyone lives near there, but the town has been heavily hit in populated areas.

If you have a large twitter following (mine is pathetic) retweet cyndeZu 's stuff. She is an active Ron Paul supporter and is tweeting tornado shelters etc nonstop now.

examples:

#Tulsa please help! RT @225allthewalive: Devastating tornado hits #Joplin;doctors, nurses, firemen needed;man… (cont) http://deck.ly/~wL44v

cyndeZu
RT @Zener39: RT @OzarksRedCross As shelters are opened, locations can be found here. http://www.redcross.org/nss/ #Joplin #tornado

cyndeZu
RT @JustMePammy: St John #Hospital setting up temporary Emergency Room at McCauley High School #Joplin #MO

Sorry, maybe this shouldn't be here. Apparently the tornado was a mile wide and went through heavily populated areas as well as a hospital.

thasre
05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
My parents and my sister and her daughter were all in Joplin just this afternoon, about an hour before the tornado hit. It's crazy.

I don't think a post like this is out of place here... if libertarians want people to believe that we don't need the state to take care of us, I think we have an obligation to offer what assistance we can in situations like this.

trey4sports
05-22-2011, 09:20 PM
I have family that lives an hour away. Hopefully everyone is ok

angelatc
05-22-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDOLjlzQYSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDOLjlzQYSs

angelatc
05-22-2011, 09:26 PM
http://twitpic.com/51cgk1

Wow. The Walmart is just...gone.

http://twitpic.com/51ca0n

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
05-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Do we have any active members who are residents of Joplin or the immediate surrounding area?

Tinnuhana
05-23-2011, 03:11 AM
This is what I thought after the last big batch of tornadoes: how would we know if we had people needing help? I know there are privacy issues here, so what would be a good way of confirming "all accounted for"?

BamaAla
05-23-2011, 03:18 AM
I feel for yall in Missouri. I hope any of "ours" made it through okay.

cindy25
05-23-2011, 04:45 AM
couldn't Ron and/or Rand volunteer for a day or two?

nobody's_hero
05-23-2011, 05:26 AM
couldn't Ron and/or Rand volunteer for a day or two?

Usually people will accuse politicians of being opportunists if they do such a thing. Not saying that's the case, just the perception.

Cowlesy
05-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Good grief. Drudge has links up and it looks like almost the entire city was scrapped.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 06:48 AM
They say 25% to a third of the town is more or less gone. One of two hospitals. Fortunately, there are more hospitals in Springfield, which is less than an hour away. And there are hills between, so Springfield is all right.

Half mile wide. F 4 or 5.

More rain on the way. Looks like a truly miserable day for that nice little city.

Do we have any active members who are residents of Joplin or the immediate surrounding area?

easycougar, we're shouting out to you. We'd admire it if you checked in.

angelatc
05-23-2011, 07:04 AM
There's a video taken by some people who ran into a cooler in a convenience school. It was so hard to hear them so terrified, even though I knew they made it ok.

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds

It's just a black screen because the power was off.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 07:08 AM
That's why it wasn't worse than it was. I heard of a convenience store employee in Alabama who locked the door. Terrible, awful thing to do. C-store coolers are lifesavers.

As usual, it seems to have stuck close to old Route 66 (I-44 on that stretch). Hate to think of the travelers. Can't imagine the road is open right now.

Hope 'cougar is just out power--and busy helping. Not much of the town has electricity. We had local aerial coverage here before the national news came on. St. John's Hospital didn't fall down, but it sure doesn't have much glass left in it. Just to give you an idea how localized these things are, the other hospital was right across the street, and is fully functional.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 07:16 AM
A little more extensive:

http://www.newson6.com/story/14695992/joplin-missouri-officials-say-tornado-killed-at-least-89

sailingaway
05-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Usually people will accuse politicians of being opportunists if they do such a thing. Not saying that's the case, just the perception.

Particularly if it isn't their state. And there is a cloture vote on the Patriot Act scheduled for today in the Senate - hope you have all been contacting your Senators to vote against it -- and if it passes to vote for the amendment to the bill that would repeal already permanent National Security letters!

Another something hit Nashville last night, I saw it while I was tweeting about Joplin. (I posted it in Rand's section) It looked like Kentucky wasn't entirely against all possibility either, so Rand may have stuff in his own state. I agree going to a different state would probably not look great, but if there are meet up groups of ours there who can help out, that would be different. But I'm sure they'd be helping where they could, in any event as CyndeZu was.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Went between Springfield and Branson. Fortunately, that's pretty hilly country, and that often causes tornados to 'lift'. Almost drowned them, though--Branson got four inches of rain basically in a moment.

Working Poor
05-23-2011, 07:42 AM
The conspiracy theorist have been saying something like this is going to happen and according to some of the nut cases I have been reading this is just the beginning....

angelatc
05-23-2011, 07:44 AM
The conspiracy theorist have been saying something like this is going to happen and according to some of the nut cases I have been reading this is just the beginning....

The global warming / climate change crowd should be chiming in soon too. And I don't mean to diminish the tragedy, but it's just a tornado. We here in the Midwest know they happen all the time. They always have.

Nirvikalpa
05-23-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm on the Red Cross's Health Services, supposed to get a call if they need EMTs, and I am 'on alert' to get deployed any second... so far no call. I'm hoping those already there are coping / helping / working hard. I've been keeping all those people, especially those who lost everything, in my prayers. It's truly a horrible event.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm on the Red Cross's Health Services, supposed to get a call if they need EMTs, and I am 'on alert' to get deployed any second...

And God bless you for it.

Between Springfield, Tulsa and Kansas City, I imagine it's pretty well covered. If not, St. Louis will step up, along with Oklahoma City and Little Rock. Most of these have also sent fire and medical personnel. But if something else happens, Missouri will find itself shorthanded.

RonPaulRocksMyWorld
05-23-2011, 08:26 AM
It looked like Kentucky wasn't entirely against all possibility either, so Rand may have stuff in his own state.

I am in central KY. We had some light rain but no Tornados in this area.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
It's raining heavily on the rescue efforts right now.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
I used to be a Red Cross disaster assement volunteer. With all the disasters going around it might be a good time to volunteer myself again. I would encourage everyone to volunteer even just one day a year to a non profit like the Red Cross. We not only get to give help when it is needed most but we also show others how private charity trumps govenment handouts.

Also, it appears that Joplin could have some more storms today that stand a good chance of dropping a tornado or two so a special heads up for our members in this region today.

easycougar
05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I live about 7 miles NE of where the complete destruction is. I have power, just my internet is down right now. I am at work. The last I heard is that they are okay on volunteers...mainly medical professionals are needed at this point. I work in IT for a large furniture manufacturer and we lost one of our Help Desk workers so it is a pretty rough day here today.

I've gotten all of my information via the major news outlets, I haven't seen any first hand destruction because they are urging people to stay away. We just had a severe storm roll through about 45 minutes ago and apparently there is the threat for more tornadoes this afternoon.

The tornado itself came down down and went right through the Joplin metro area (pop 50,000), basically through the south/middle of the city through a very populated area. It was also a rain/hail wrapped tornado so it was very hard to see.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 08:47 AM
...so it is a pretty rough day here today.

You, sir, are a master of understatement.

Damned good to see your post. Keep up the good luck!

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 08:53 AM
By the way, they say it stayed mostly on the south end. I was trying to strain my memory banks, but last time I was there was after dark. Seems to have cut across the south end of the main drag; whether it was north, south or right at that nice old restaurant I'm not sure. South, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

St. John's is barely standing, but hasn't got a window left. The hospital across the street is still functional.

sailingaway
05-23-2011, 08:59 AM
I live about 7 miles NE of where the complete destruction is. I have power, just my internet is down right now. I am at work. The last I heard is that they are okay on volunteers...mainly medical professionals are needed at this point. I work in IT for a large furniture manufacturer and we lost one of our Help Desk workers so it is a pretty rough day here today.

I've gotten all of my information via the major news outlets, I haven't seen any first hand destruction because they are urging people to stay away. We just had a severe storm roll through about 45 minutes ago and apparently there is the threat for more tornadoes this afternoon.

The tornado itself came down down and went right through the Joplin metro area (pop 50,000), basically through the south/middle of the city through a very populated area. It was also a rain/hail wrapped tornado so it was very hard to see.

Take care.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 09:11 AM
easy--my good friend in Springfield had some good info for me so never mind the pm--thanks anyway. And since your own sources might be sketchy right now, it crossed Mainline at 32nd and hit Lowe's and Payless.

Hope that helps.

Nirvikalpa
05-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Just thought I'd update - I just got called by my chapter (RC of Lackawanna County, PA), and they are sending 4 EMT's to the Joplin area (including myself). I will keep everyone updated as I hear news myself...

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks, g.m.l. You'll probably land in Springfield. I might be able to get you some transportation, if needed. They probably have you covered, but just in case....

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
More rain. Within the hour.

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 11:11 AM
A little more extensive:

http://www.newson6.com/story/14695992/joplin-missouri-officials-say-tornado-killed-at-least-89

They're about to air some new aerial footage, and have some fresh amateur pics on site.

specsaregood
05-23-2011, 11:14 AM
They're about to air some new aerial footage, and have some fresh amateur pics on site.

acptulsa, are you in MO nowadays?

acptulsa
05-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Followed 20th across Rangeline. Wiped out the high school and the Flying J.

acptulsa, are you in MO nowadays?

No sir. But Joplin is right across the border, about two hours away.

Have friends of friends there, and friends in Springfield...

Romulus
05-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Good grief. Drudge has links up and it looks like almost the entire city was scrapped.

they are saying 75% of it is.

Roxi
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
We are about an hour north, my mom is heading over there today from Springfield. Have a friend that works for a Springfield hospital who helped transport psych patients from Joplin, as well as several friends who live there (who are okay). The area that was hit was around 7 miles long and 1/2 a mile to a mile wide in some spots. This was a very populated area and most of the roads inside the area are covered heavily with debris. The area has an active RP meetup and had to cancel the upcoming meeting. So far many of the members have been accounted for but still some not heard from. A lot of the power is out now in even more places due to todays storms and internet is out in many areas too. I have sent messages to the organizer to keep us informed on what they might need and as people are accounted for.

Roxi
05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
some aerial footage, if the video messes up keep it paused until it uffers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNwZ1IY2p0

Tinnuhana
05-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Any more updates? All meet-up people accounted for? It would be something to get a follow-up video of the folks in that cooler that Angel posted.
Pouring here right now, with a typhoon on the way. But nothing compared to what Joplin is going through.
I still think the shift in magnetic north from the Sendai earthquake has affected some weather patterns.
Praying for the families affected by these storms and floods.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp0411.gif

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2011, 06:32 AM
if libertarians want people to believe that we don't need the state to take care of us, I think we have an obligation to offer what assistance we can in situations like this.

Remember Haiti when teams of surgeons were left sitting on their hands for days because the government controlled flights and airspace?

Remember katrina when paramedics from all over the country came to help and were first put through a PC "sensitivity" class before they were allowed to, and then instead of being allowed to use their medical skills were dispatched to distribute FEMA forms for compensation. Doctors were also turned away because of licensing requirements on a per-state basis.

remember 9/11 when people were lined up to give blood, but were turned away because the FDA/HHS came in and said only licensed phlebotomists were allowed to collect blood and the doctors, nurses and paramedics that were doing it had to stop.

remember that soup kitchen in TX that was shut down because they didn't have a stainless steal everything kitchen and someone with a special degree watching over food prep workers?

The government DOES NOT LIKE COMPETITION! They like dependence.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Just a blast from the past... 2005, 109th congress...

Weather Modification Advisory and Research Board: establish (see S. 517), S2004 [3MR]

Weather Modification Operations and Research Board: establish (see H.R. 2995), H4802 [20JN]

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Remember Haiti when teams of surgeons were left sitting on their hands for days because the government controlled flights and airspace?

Remember katrina when paramedics from all over the country came to help and were first put through a PC "sensitivity" class before they were allowed to, and then instead of being allowed to use their medical skills were dispatched to distribute FEMA forms for compensation. Doctors were also turned away because of licensing requirements on a per-state basis.

remember 9/11 when people were lined up to give blood, but were turned away because the FDA/HHS came in and said only licensed phlebotomists were allowed to collect blood and the doctors, nurses and paramedics that were doing it had to stop.

remember that soup kitchen in TX that was shut down because they didn't have a stainless steal everything kitchen and someone with a special degree watching over food prep workers?

The government DOES NOT LIKE COMPETITION! They like dependence.

-t

We have a serious advantage out this way. The federal government takes about a week to figure out where someplace like Joplin, MO is in the world. People of pioneer stock are out pawing through the debris before the tornado is out of visual range.

To hell with those FEMA bastards. If they want to stop us from helping our neighbors, let them figure out how to get their stuff together in a timely manner.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
they are saying 75% of it is.

I don't know who's saying that, but I figure the thirty percent of town that they lost is quite enough.

A half mile wide stretch seven to ten miles long right down the center of a not-so-densely populated city of 50,000--in one side and out the other. It's cut in half. It's ugly. But it's bad enough without uglier rumors.

I haven't been to the city that often, as those who have can tell by the way I have trouble with the street names. But I have been there more than once, and 30% looks to me like quite an accurate figure.

Meatwasp
05-24-2011, 08:24 AM
I have family in Springfield. They were so scared it would come their way too. My sis says she wants to move back to Ca. or Oregon.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
I have family in Springfield. They were so scared it would come their way too. My sis says she wants to move back to Ca. or Oregon.

Hi, lady. Too long no see.

Springfield isn't exactly high risk ground, thanks to the topography. There's a finger of Ozark Mountains that reaches up between Joplin (which is billiard-table flat) and Springfield which guarantees nothing, but is historically proven to make a big difference. And it's between fault lines, too. So, seems to me you should tell them that's a bad reason to leave.

The fact that the little city can be a tad boring, on the other hand... ;)

Nirvikalpa
05-24-2011, 08:57 AM
ACP, make sure you are safe today, if you are in OK. Tornado score in some area of OK is a 9/10. Anyone in OK, be safe.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
ACP, make sure you are safe today, if you are in OK. Tornado score in some area of OK is a 9/10. Anyone in OK, be safe.

I've got sunny skies and am sitting in a spot with unique topography which hasn't been hit in recorded history. And have a basement under me, j.i.c.

You're the one at Ground Zero, bless you (and repped you, too). Take care of yourself, please, even as you selflessly take care of others. And do call if there's any way I can be of help.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 09:11 AM
And either I've learned nothing about Oklahoma weather in half a century, or you'll have clear skies until dawn or so. You must have packed and brought that along with your sunny disposition. Y'all make hay while the sun shines!!

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I have some resources for finding missing Joplinians. If anyone is in limbo, post here or pm me and I'll see if there's anything I can find.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Still perfect weather in Joplin, which should continue until about sundown or longer.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 05:32 PM
At sunset things get wet and ugly in Joplin

Already ugly in ok though it's not to me yet

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Unusually slow for a storm of this magnitude. And the fact that we only got up into the mid-eighties here seems to be mollifying it a bit. I'm thinking by the time it gets to Joplin it'll be after 9:30 and mostly just very wet.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Here's where the action is at the moment.

http://www.newson6.com/weather?C=112040&nav=menu682_3&redirected=true

I don't see more tornado action in Joplin's immediate future, but this thing has plenty enough straight line winds that no one needs to be in a vehicle when they encounter it.

And it's wet. Very wet. Occasional softball-size hail wet. Those unfortunates without garages are parked under certain convenient overpasses.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Strong winds in Coffeyville, KS. Less than half an hour to batten down what hatches remain in Joplin. And park those vehicles.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Still not to Joplin. Slow. Maybe another half an hour. And Joplin could possibly see the dreaded southern edge of a cell, which would be very wet at the very least, or could be spared getting much rain at all while the heavy winds pass north of town. I'm guessing just wet.

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:22 PM
g.m.l., don't let the sirens rattle you. Looks to be headed north of you and the 'hook' is not well defined.

Nirvikalpa
05-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I am good for tonight, but please, if the weather gets hectic for the next two weeks (my deployment), contact me with radar / updates:

cell: acptulsa has, contact him if needed.

text or call - and leave a message if anything, as I can not guarantee I can answer it always.

400 people in the shelter in Joplin, it's a little panicky, but overall things are ok (as heard on the news at least) - I am not there so I can not confirm. Anderson Cooper (of CNN) is still broadcasting live from Joplin, he is under a parking garage... (last I saw)...

acptulsa
05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Joplin is out of danger. But within another half hour or so there will be a big, wet, electrical storm and it will last a while.

This is supposed to be the big event for the rest of the week, N. Of course, if the weather around here always did what it was supposed to do, you wouldn't be here. ;)

Got the number; you can make it disappear now.

It won't get exciting tonight. Just wet. Enjoy the lightning show.

acptulsa
05-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Fair in Joplin until late afternoon, then nice, gentle showers.

If it does what they say it will.

Nirvikalpa
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Flights canceled in and out of Dallas due to plane damage from hail and reports of a tornado last night. Planes are canceled especially to Joplin (Dallas, from what I know, is one of the only airports serving Joplin) - hindering the relief effort.

acptulsa
05-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't think a post like this is out of place here... if libertarians want people to believe that we don't need the state to take care of us, I think we have an obligation to offer what assistance we can in situations like this.

http://laughterandliberty.com/has-anyone-seen-fema/

Flights canceled in and out of Dallas due to plane damage from hail and reports of a tornado last night. Planes are canceled especially to Joplin (Dallas, from what I know, is one of the only airports serving Joplin) - hindering the relief effort.

I doubt Dallas will be closed very long. But I'll see if the Red Cross needs drivers today. Our airport is open.

I would say just redirect some of the Springfield flights, but you need the federal government's permission to land where you're needed. Could take two weeks to get that... :rolleyes:

acptulsa
05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Pretty good band of rain due in Joplin in an hour or so. This one will keep at it for a while. Nothing powerful or dangerous about it so far.

Nirvikalpa
05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Anyone in Memphis, PLEASE be careful and check in when you can!

acptulsa
05-25-2011, 06:17 PM
And stay on high ground. It's wet.

Nirvikalpa
05-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Anyone in Indiana where the tornado struck?

acptulsa
05-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Joplin releases a list of the missing today. Reported to have over a thousand names on it.

Day before yesterday's OK, KS and AR toll won't inflate very much if at all. This 125 dead in Joplin number is going to grow...

acptulsa
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Nasty storm right now. Also, we seem to be using up the Red Cross' funds, so give!

acptulsa
05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Theo and others in St. Louis--it ain't getting any weaker.

Kylie
05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Theo and others in St. Louis--it ain't getting any weaker.

What? More storms coming this way?

I'm in the STL area too. STL area sent 4 tractor trailers full of food and stuffs down to Joplin yesterday. I was pretty proud of that. One of our local talk radio hosts decided on Monday that we needed to do something for those guys, so they asked for us to give food, toiletries and toys for the kids. They had Hansen tree service offer a 53' trailer for them to fill....but we ended up filling 4-53' trailers.

There is much love, and sorrow, for the people of Joplin. They are going through complete devastation, and my heart aches for em.

acptulsa
05-27-2011, 12:56 PM
What? More storms coming this way?

Coming and growing. Almost to Springfield now.

And good job. What the fedgov won't do, we will. Whether they leave us enough money to do it with or not.

Kylie
05-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Coming and growing. Almost to Springfield now.

And good job. What the fedgov won't do, we will. Whether they leave us enough money to do it with or not.

We don't need them to do it. If they'll get out of the way, we will ALWAYS take care of our own.

That's what we do!!!

Nirvikalpa
05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok, some updates for those who know people in Joplin - please spread the word!

There is a group of people/agency's that have set up a 'grab point' at the parking lot for Joplin high school. This is where those affected by the tornado can come to get anything they may need. We have toiletries, detergent, soaps, books, clothes, bags, garbage bags, rakes, heavy duty gloves, fresh cooked food (usually chicken breast, hot dogs, hamburgers, fajita's, etc), snacks such as cheez-its, potato chips, nutrigrain bars, power bars etc, cold water, vitamin drinks (in a variety of different types, such as some for stress and others for biotic health), teas, coffee...

The Red Cross, at all times, has at least one health service officer (an EMT or a RN) who can assist with basic medical needs, and a crisis counselor if anyone wants to talk. We also provide snacks, and are the only organization (from what I've seen) to have the rakes as well as heavy-duty gloves. EMT's as well as other disaster services personnel have been driving around Joplin the past 2 days handing out supplies from our CARS, NOT disaster services trucks - these cars are rentals, and the only way to tell it's the RC is seeing the drivers/passengers vests. If you need anything, DON'T HESITATE to flag us down, but usually you won't have to because we see you. We usually have snacks, water, teas, rakes, gloves, masks (n95), toiletries and more with us in our cars, and we can help with basic medical issues as well.

The Red Cross also has 'comfort packages' which is an easy to grab bag that has toiletries enough for a person to last a couple of days. It contains comfort items such as deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.

As well as basic supplies, we have other important services located at the joplin high school location. A chainsaw sharpening station is located to the left of the parking lot (next to the red cross truck), and a pet microchip agency is also there, providing free microchip registration to owners who have their pets but risk losing them because they have no exact place to stay. Many pet owners are just carrying their pets in their arms - we are getting dog leashes / collars as well (so I hear). This station also has free natural dog food.

There are many companies / agency's that I have seen on the ground operating here, including The Salvation Army, Heart to Heart, Convoy of Hope, Humane Society of the US, and the many, many local churches and organizations helping out.

Everything is FREE. You can take as much as you need.

I believe this location is open from 11AM-5PM.

acptulsa
05-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Storms in the morning, but don't expect them to be very scary. Unfortunately, the rain may linger a while. I know people are miserable enough without that, but...

easycougar
05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
give.me.liberty thank you for the update. The outpouring of support for Joplin has been beyond amazing. It's unbelievable. I've heard of truckloads of items coming in. Do you know of items that are desperately needed right now?

I saw the damage first hand on Wednesday and it's absolutely mind-blowing. Blocks upon blocks of shells of houses and rubble. You can see clearly across the entire town now. It basically looks like a giant 3/4 mile wide lawn mower went through the town. I just got internet restored this evening so I'm trying to get caught up on everything.

Obama is going to be in town this Sunday...and so is Westboro Baptist so that should be interesting.

Here is an interactive map of Joplin before/after tornado.
http://tinyurl.com/3geygaq

acptulsa
05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Obama is going to be in town this Sunday...and so is Westboro Baptist so that should be interesting.

Glad to hear you're getting some much-needed entertainment.

We've had four F-5 tornados this year, with Alabama's three, and Oklahoma just had four or five F-4 strength bastards as well. We're on pace to beat 1974.

What a mess.

Nirvikalpa
05-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Do you know of items that are desperately needed right now?

Yes, we definitely need certain items more than others - some desperately needed items are:

baby diapers (any size)
infant formula (especially for sensitive stomachs, for colic)
feminine hygiene products
ponchos
all-weather supplies
rakes
yard supplies
big garbage bags
gloves
tarps
monetary donations so we can get all of those supplies right here.

drop -off's are all around the state - contact your local red cross or salvation army (or other local charities), church, etc.

acptulsa
05-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Heh. FEMA finally showed up in Joplin--and set up in a church. So much for seperation of church and state...

Not too amusing but one finds what humor one can.

Nirvikalpa
05-29-2011, 05:38 AM
Daily Update

As easycougar said, today's a pretty big day. Obama as well as the West Boro Baptist Church are coming to town, the memorial for the deceased is being held today at MSSU, MARC is opening (multi agency resource center) which will be hectic as all else, and it's the first day off for a lot of EMTs/nurses who have been working 12 hour shifts for the past 7 days (I'm not one of them).

I'm very tired though. It's mentally and physically exhausting.

I know that after today the news about Joplin will probably dwindle, and people will begin to forget because the images of destruction are not televised - and donations will stop. However, Joplin's needs will not end tomorrow, or the next day, or the next month, and not even within the next year. Emotional, psychological and physical help is provided by the many charities here free of charge, and are run by the donations of the good American people - and let me tell you, just from what I have seen yesterday, FEMA is already heading towards disaster.

So, I'm asking people to not forget about Joplin, especially when the news cameras are turned away. When Obama is being focused on, there are health service workers in the morgue identifying bodies and there's a family getting a disheartening, but sometimes relieving, call, and there is a search and rescue team here finding someone alive - we have been finding people alive - a total of 17 people since the tornado occurred, including a 75 year old on Thursday. The clean up will take years, and the shock maybe even longer...

so please help the charities (Red Cross, Heart to Heart, Americorps, The Salvation Army), local charities (Ozark Red Cross, United Way of Southern Missouri, local churches) companies (Pizza Hut, Walmart, Walgreens), etc that are helping these people. Or, come out and volunteer yourself - Americorps has a short training session for those wanting to join search and rescue/recover efforts, as well as clean-up at MSSU.

Thanks guys. Long day ahead... most importantly, please keep all of us in your thoughts/prayers :)

easycougar
05-29-2011, 10:31 PM
g.m.l. thank you SO MUCH for your countless hours of service and hard work for this broken city!

It was a pretty surreal day today. Seeing Airforce One parked at our little airport and watching it fly over my house as it was leaving was just crazy. Like g.m.l said, many items will be needed in the months ahead to get these people back on their feet. Being an IT guy, I'm pretty useless as far as operating a chainsaw or clearing debris, so I put my fingers to work and assisted in data entry for http://www.rebuildjoplin.org/. This is a streamlined, centralized database for affected people to use to find local resources and also for people who would like to provide assistance and fulfill a need.

acptulsa
05-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Keeping warm, g.m.l?

Nirvikalpa
05-31-2011, 03:06 AM
well right now I am on a 12 hour shift, 7pm-7am in the MSSU shelter. It was busy until around 2am and now its calming down.

today was the hardest day for me so far. I took a ride into the worst hit part of joplin to distribute supplies with a couple of EMT's and I found a dirty polaroid laying in the rubble of a demolished house of a father holding his newborn baby, and that sent me a little over the deep end.

acptulsa
05-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Easy, lady. You know that doesn't mean a thing. They could be up at Grandmom's posing for a new pic right now.

Just a little taste of the uncertainty which is all around you. My friend from Joplin here has an ex-fiancee' up there. He's not on her Christmas card list, or that of any of her friends or family. They probably think he doesn't give a damn one way or the other. He's not family, so he's not eligible for any kind of official notification. And he probably shouldn't be worried. But he's human, and he is worried.

But that doesn't mean she's not just fine.

Back before official notification became such a thorny legal issue, it was easier for everyone, not just family, to get past the uncertain stage...

Roxi
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Nikki, you probably just think of yourself as plain old Nikki just doing what "anyone would do if they could". However, I hope you realize just how amazing of a person you really are. I know plenty of people who could help but "just have too much stuff to do or deal with" to physically get there and help in the way that you are. There are no adjectives I could use to describe how awesome you are. So thanks.

ETA: News is reporting the unaccounted for list is now at zero. Does that correlate with your knowledge of things as well?

Aratus
06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
what you've been doing is it's own quiet heroism.
my heart goes out to everyone in or near joplin!!!

Nirvikalpa
06-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Thank you guys so much! That really made my day :)

And Roxi, as of two nights ago, I heard the unaccounted for list was at 10 but that was because they were waiting on DNA results (as the remaining unaccounted they only found appendages of)... so that could have definitely changed. I will ask around and update.

acptulsa
06-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Things sure have changed since the fedgov got to town. I don't know what it's like up there, but where right after the storm you could call any area hospital and they'd show you the courtesy of saying, yes we have that patient or no we have no one by that name. This is over. And the announcements have ceased to make any sense. Fifteen hundred missing one day, one hundred fifty the next day, and everyone accounted for the day after.

It's like they sucked out all of the humanity. How do we get these people to go home?

acptulsa
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Storms forecast to come through tomorrow evening (though they might be there sooner). Nothing major. Just a nice drop of several degrees in temperature.

Folks, this is close to the critical time for donations--the initial surge of generosity in the wake of the initial shock has worn off now, but the needs of these people have not yet abated. So, please--remember this town.

Nirvikalpa
06-09-2011, 10:16 PM
^ absolutely true. The Greater Ozarks Regional Chapter of the American Red Cross (http://www.ozarksredcross.org/) needs donations, now more than ever! Bulldozing will start tomorrow, so mental health professionals are especially needed during this critical time.

The Red Cross as of June 8th has served 62,218 meals, 140,876 snacks, housed 2,892 people, distributed 110,771 recovery/clean-up items, aided 4,457 people in health services, aided 5,110 people in mental health services, and has currently 403 members on the ground in Joplin, MO.

My time in Joplin is unfortunately now over, and it has been a life-changing experience. The people in Joplin are so confident, optimistic, and passionate, and I think some did more for the volunteers in terms of spirit than the volunteers could do for them. I have learned so much. I know the RC has its faults, as many large organizations do, but what I saw out there was nothing short of many small miracles - people helping fellow people for the sake of just doing good for goodness sake.