PDA

View Full Version : sister wives show = BS!

satchelmcqueen
05-22-2011, 07:44 PM
ok. so i dont think polygamy would work for me but thats my choice as an individual. me and the wife have been watching the sister wives show out of curiosity in how that kind of family could work. well, now the whole family is gonna have to move out of state to keep from the dad being arrested and the moms and kids being seperated and torn from their home by our nosey ass government. these kids just melted down when they were told they were going to have to move to avoid this. i hope that this raises awarness that the gov needs to stay out of marriage!!!

this was a very happy family until that moment. the kids have to leave all their friends, church, school...you name it. so its either move and hope to start over somewhere else as a whole family or face jail and a huge split up for all. i hope the gov sees these kids crying over this threat from our them (government) and someone decides to change things.

freedom should rule, not the government.

and if you aint saw the show and followed it, you really cannot speak against what im saying unless u think your way is the way ALL should follow. i went from viewing this as a bad thing to ....its their choice as long as it works for them. this latest show is so freaking sad.

belian78
05-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I've seen the show a few times. It's not a family structure that I would prefer, but you can't deny that in their own way it works well for them. It in no way effects me or how my life is lead, so I have no say in their affairs. Neither should the government.

satchelmcqueen
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I've seen the show a few times. It's not a family structure that I would prefer, but you can't deny that in their own way it works well for them. It in no way effects me or how my life is lead, so I have no say in their affairs. Neither should the government.

thank you.

doodle
06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Is this show running while Romney is running for POTUS.. coincidence?

Dustancostine
06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
This is why you don't take your family on a reality tv show.

Vessol
Is this show running while Romney is running for POTUS.. coincidence?

Is this user posting an old and tiring strawman of Mormons..coincidence? XD

Vessol
But yeah..that's bullshit.

I should be able to enter into a voluntary contract(such as marriage) with anyone regardless of anything.

TheState
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I agree, and the thing is that he's only married to one woman legally, but they have weird polygamy laws that make it illegal to even LIVE with more than one woman. Except the law is just very selective enforced.

James Madison
So, you can have as many sexual partners as you want and as many baby-mammas as possible, but you can't live together as a family?:confused:

LibertyEagle
I saw it once. I wondered at the time what they were thinking or drinking when they agreed to be a part of this show, as I knew the gummit wouldn't be far behind.

James Madison
06-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I agree, and the thing is that he's only married to one woman legally, but they have weird polygamy laws that make it illegal to even LIVE with more than one woman. Except the law is just very selective enforced.

So does that mean all college dorms are under violation of this law?

TheState
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
So does that mean all college dorms are under violation of this law?

Technically, probably yes. Here's the statute according to the ACLU (http://www.acluutah.org/bigamystatute.htm).

“A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.”

So it seems if you're married and live with any other adult, you could be guilty?

specsaregood
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
So, you can have as many sexual partners as you want and as many baby-mammas as possible, but you can't live together as a family?:confused:

Exactly. Families = bad, Non-commital relationships = good.

Vessol
06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Exactly. Families = bad, Non-commital relationships = good.

The State hates the family. They can't stand people being more loyal to their family rather than the State.

James Madison
06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
The State hates the family. They can't stand people being more loyal to their family rather than the State.

Same with religion.

Vessol
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Same with religion.

Of course. Anyone who ever called the Soviet Union an atheistic nation is wrong. The State was their religion.

doodle
06-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Technically, probably yes. Here's the statute according to the ACLU (http://www.acluutah.org/bigamystatute.htm).

“A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.”

So it seems if you're married and live with any other adult, you could be guilty?

If he/she rents a mistress/mister a separate home few houses/blacks/miles away... then it is all kosher?

Brian4Liberty
06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
"The government should send the military to destroy them!" -Recent Chinese immigrant to the US...

ravedown
06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
polygamy is more common in utah than most would think, this family exposed it on tv, jeopardizing all the other polygamists families and got burned.
if i was a pot farmer and created a reality show explaining how awesome and profitable pot farming is, should i be shocked when the feds come knocking?
the state they lived in had laws against their lifestyle...so they moved to a state with more tolerance. im cool with that. hopefully Nevada will practice nullification regarding federal polygamy laws.

pcosmar
06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
How many wives did Solomon have?
Not counting concubines.

iamse7en
06-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I watch this show with my wife every week. We are Mormons, so we are (as other Mormons should be) sympathetic to the abuse they get from government. The Mormons were singled out and harassed by the federal government for many years, with property seizures, arrests with no trial, physical abuse, private property destruction, and much more. They argued the federal government had no right to criminalize polygamy and cited the constitution as their defense. The argument was futile and they're entire community was in grave danger if they did not give in.

Most Mormons now don't practice polygamy, but those Mormons who know their own history should be sympathetic to their desire to be left alone. This time, it is the State government that is applying the pressure, enforcing their cohabitation laws. The state laws are ridiculous, and it is most likely Mormons who are enforcing the unjust laws and causing much annoyance and fear amongst many people who are good, upstanding taxpayers who just want to be left alone and have freedom of religion. I find it hypocritical that Mormons, who after all they went through with anti-polygamy laws for 50 some odd years, would turn around and harrass splinter Mormon groups for the same thing their grandfathers were harassed for.

Mormon polygamists get a bad rap because of some bad apples (Warren Jeffs), but many are good, upstanding people who treat others with respect and dignity. Sister Wives is a good show - They do a good job showing the more common side of polygamy: they are not abusing their children, marrying young teenagers, or living off welfare. They don't want government benefits or state recognition of their marriages or want cultural acceptance. They just want to be left alone. I'd say they have a much better and more just cause for anger than the gay community.

Pericles
06-08-2011, 12:45 AM
"The government should send the military to destroy them!" -Recent Chinese immigrant to the US...

They did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War (not the best write up, but the general idea)

LibertyRevolution
06-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Polygamy laws are enforced because they don't want people marrying 100 women and claiming them all as dependents on their taxes.

Krugerrand
06-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Polygamy laws are enforced because they don't want people marrying 100 women and claiming them all as dependents on their taxes.

The real kicker would be when paying out spousal Social Secuirty benefits.