PDA

View Full Version : 'Bath salts' a step away from being illegal in Texas

RonPaulFanInGA
05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Bath-Salts-are-a-step-away-from-being-illegal-in-Texas-122396699.html

SANTA FE, Texas—A local family feels some sense of relief after a bill to ban bath salts has made it all the way to the governor’s desk.

When James Baldwin opened up about the suicide of his son in January, he just wanted to make people aware of the substance.

"If you’re doing the stuff, stop it and if you haven’t done it, don’t," said Baldwin. "That’s all I can say about that bath salts. It’s bad. It killed my boy."

His boy was 31- year old Joey Baldwin. He was hooked on what some consider a legal form of cocaine. He started getting paranoid, hallucinating and eventually took his own life.

"I had signs that I didn’t take advantage of," admitted a heartbroken Baldwin. "I didn’t use it at my full potential. I could have made him stop. I don’t know."

The Baldwin’s knew sharing Joey’s story wouldn’t bring him back, but it is making a difference around the state. KHOU 11 News’ original stories on the substance caught the attention of State Representative Garnet Coleman.

Below is a list of punishments for possession, manufacturing and delivering.

If approved, offenders with less than one gram on them would be charged state jail felony and could earn 180 to two years in prison. Possessing between one and four grams would be a felony and punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Offenders carrying between 4 and 400 grams could get between 5 and 99 years in prison. Someone having more than 400 grams could face imprisonment for life or for a term between 10 and 99 years.

If signed, the bill will go into effect in September.

Golding
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM
"If you’re doing the stuff, stop it and if you haven’t done it, don’t," said Baldwin. "That’s all I can say about that bath salts. It’s bad. It killed my boy."

His boy was 31- year old Joey Baldwin. He was hooked on what some consider a legal form of cocaine. He started getting paranoid, hallucinating and eventually took his own life.

"I had signs that I didn’t take advantage of," admitted a heartbroken Baldwin. "I didn’t use it at my full potential. I could have made him stop. I don’t know."The law won't resolve your self-induced guilt, Mr. Baldwin.

He has the actual answer in the last part of what I quoted. The law is no replacement for good parenting.

Flash
05-22-2011, 02:04 PM
From comment under that article,

These aren't Bath Salts such as those you might find in Walmart. They are Chemicals that are being marketed as Bath Salts. You can read about them on the Internet and then form your own conclusions.

BamaAla
05-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Alabama did this a few months ago. Absurd.

payme_rick
05-22-2011, 04:11 PM
at least we can noodle now...

libertybrewcity
05-22-2011, 06:02 PM
good job Texas. I thought you were cool

AFPVet
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Banning things will not stop stupidity.

Dr.3D
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
at least we can noodle now...

I've been afraid to try that. I'm afraid a snapper may take a finger.

iGGz
05-22-2011, 06:14 PM
I had a crazy neighbor in a little mountain town I used to live in. When I moved, I gave him a bunch of stuff and he tried giving my a couple packets of bath salts lol

I'd never heard of it, and he explained you snort it and it has the same effects of meth basically. I declined.

Airborn
05-22-2011, 06:38 PM
it's like the "incense" that is sold in stores and head shops that are legal analogs of marijuana except bathsalts are analogs of meth. If drugs were legalized and regulated there wouldn't be these more dangerous research chemical knockoffs sold as legal alternatives, which hardy any research or studies have been done on them.

dbill27
05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm actually in favor of making these things illegal. The "bath salts" that were being sold as a meth substitute is even worse and more dangerous than meth. Without prohibition we would never have had these dirty drugs. I'm not in favor of legalizing something like crack or meth if the even more safe drugs are still illegal. If these stay legal they are just going to be used as an example of why drugs should be illegal because a lot of people are already dying from these. It only works if every option is legal.

madengr
05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah, this stuff was just made illegal in KS too. Long radio story on local public radio about popurri and bath salts, and how the legislators are scrambling to keep up with the chemists. I was just LMAO listening; nobody would do this shit if they could just smoke a joint. Anyway, I suspect SWAT will be raiding those foul smelling stores at shopping malls.

LibertyRevolution
05-23-2011, 05:12 AM
If cocaine and amphetamines where legal, then maybe people wouldn't die from sniffing bath salts ....

pacelli
05-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Seen a few bath-salt psychosis cases come into the psych ward lately, ever since bath salts went on the market. Much different form of psychosis than anything we've seen before. Researchers in the UK are a few years ahead of the US on bath salt research, most of the packets turn out to have a chemical compound including mephedrome.

The fact that they are available over the counter has helped us from a treatment standpoint. We can go to the store where the person bought it, buy a packet, and have it analyzed to figure out how to best remove the psychosis... rather than trying dozens of different psychiatric drugs, we can target it directly. The psychosis induced by chronic bath salt use is particularly treatment resistant.

payme_rick
05-23-2011, 08:23 AM
I've been afraid to try that. I'm afraid a snapper may take a finger.

Yah, that wouldn't be good... But I'm more worried about the gators...

Hell I was unaware that noodling was illegal until this year... the next thing I hear it's legal...sweet! One freedom regained, a million to go...