PDA

View Full Version : Michele Bachmann a fomer IRS attorney

swissaustrian
05-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I think this deserves a separate thread, because many tea partiers might not know:

From 1988 to 1993, Bachmann was an attorney representing the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). She left her position with the IRS to become a full-time mother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Bachmann#Early_life
1.) A Tea partier who has worked for the IRS. Thatīs hypocritical.
2.) She did not leave for moral reasons, but for personal reasons.

ILVMYYF
05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Swissaustrian, Thanks for your welcome...I truly appreciate it...but:
1.) Ron Paul was a flight surgeon in an illegal war in Viet Nam patching up warriors so they could go back out and kill more innocents.
2.) He did not leave for moral reasons, but because his tour was up and he wanted to take advantage of his govt paid education (blood money?) to go out and get rich.
Am I serious about his motivations? Of course not, I cannot read anyones heart...just making a point...Could anyone honestly say that as a young graduate lawyer they would never have gone to work for the IRS in 1988? My goodness that was over 20 years ago. Was it a physical possibility for her to be a Tea Partier then? What else has she done?
How about this from her early years: Bachmann grew up in a Democratic family, but says she became a Republican during her senior year at Winona State. She told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that she was reading Gore Vidal's 1973 novel, Burr: "He was kind of mocking the Founding Fathers and I just thought, I just remember reading the book, putting it in my lap, looking out the window and thinking, 'You know what? I don't think I am a Democrat. I must be a Republican.'"

While she was still a Democrat, Bachmann and her then-fiance Marcus were inspired to join the pro-life movement by Francis Schaeffer's 1976 Christian documentary film, How Should We Then Live?. They frequently prayed outside of clinics and served as sidewalk counselors. Bachmann was a supporter of Jimmy Carter in 1976 and she and her husband worked on his campaign. During Carter's presidency, Bachmann became disappointed with his liberal approach to public policy, support for legalized abortion and economic decisions she held responsible for increased gas prices. In the 1980 presidential election, she voted for Ronald Reagan and worked for his campaign.
Bachmann's political activism gained media notice at a pro-life protest in 1991. She and approximately 30 other pro-life citizens went to a Ramsey County Board meeting where a $3 million appropriation was to go to build a morgue for the county at St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center (now called Regions Hospital). The Medical Center performed abortions and employed abortion rights pioneer Jane Hodgson. Bachmann attended the meeting to protest public tax dollars going to the hospital; speaking to the Star Tribune, she said that "in effect, since 1973, I have been a landlord of an abortion clinic, and I don’t like that distinction".
And what did she do after leaving the IRS in 1993?
In 1993, Bachmann and other parents started a K-12 charter school in Stillwater, and she began speaking against a state-mandated set of educational standards, which propelled her into the world of politics.
Am I a Michele Bachmann admirer? Yes, I am...In fact I would love to see a Paul/Bachmann ticket and believe it would be unbeatable against B. Hussein Obama and 'Plugs Biden'. However, if we beat up every potential VP candidate that is a true Conservative with half-truths and innuendo, who will be left to fill the ticket that would be a sure thing as I believe a RP/MB ticket is?
Kind Regards, Russ

ILVMYYF
05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
BTW, regarding the earlier question of what has she ever done for Israel. It was mentioned that Rahm went over to fight a war for Israel. Michele Bachmann went there after graduating high school to work as a volunteer on a communal farm...
just sayin:rolleyes:

t0rnado
05-22-2011, 07:53 PM
This line of reasoning isn't going to help attract anyone who isn't already a libertarian. This actually gives her more credibility with neoconservatives since she can simply state that she has experience with the IRS and knows its evils firsthand.

Romulus
05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
This line of reasoning isn't going to help attract anyone who isn't already a libertarian. This actually gives her more credibility with neoconservatives since she can simply state that she has experience with the IRS and knows its evils firsthand.

they can try to spin it any way they can, but the fact remains. Also, wasn't she a democrat before too?

Tom in NYC
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
they can try to spin it any way they can, but the fact remains. Also, wasn't she a democrat before too?

In my hometown, all the real voting is done in the Democratic primary - there are no Republicans or third parties, so the general election is a formality. So until I left that town, I was a Dem too.

The last thing I want to do is defend ole-crazy-eyes bachmann, but I don't think that's a winning argument.

JohnEngland
05-23-2011, 03:45 PM
The last thing I want to do is defend ole-crazy-eyes bachmann, but I don't think that's a winning argument.

All she was doing was looking into the Tea Party camera, not the CNN camera. Hardly a reason to not like a person...

LisaNY
06-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Bachmann was a tax prosecutor for the IRS - I can't think of any professional less desirable to the tea party. I found one case she prosecuted against a native american guy, but there must be more. I'll check westlaw when I get to the office next week:

http://taxpravo.ru/sudebnie_dela/statya-82207-Marvin_James_Manypenny_v_Commissioner_United_State s_Tax_Court_-

Anti Federalist
07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
LOL

Salon picked up on this thread.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/07/11/bachmann_taxes_paul

parocks
07-20-2011, 11:52 PM
It's cool to be mentioned, but I think we should attack Perry. Bachmann just won't make it. And Perry is evil.

LOL

Salon picked up on this thread.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/07/11/bachmann_taxes_paul