PDA

View Full Version : CHP: No right to protest within 500 ft of a Freeway

RideTheDirt
05-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Some people may have seen the video of our local police harassing us; Now the CHP did it last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G5YHlYwfiM
I'M FURIOUS:mad::mad::mad:

Edit: Related story/video
http://www.10news.com/news/26577999/detail.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUbAXtyJLE

Edit 2:http://www.aclusandiego.org/news_item.php?article_id=001105
January 20, 2011

SAN DIEGO – The Escondido Police Department violated checkpoint protesters’ First Amendment right to free speech by forcing them to move from a public sidewalk near a highway exit ramp, according to a demand letter sent to the City of Escondido by the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties today. The police incorrectly cited a code applying to vendors, not peaceful protesters exercising their constitutional right to free speech. Sidewalks near exits are frequently used by candidates campaigning for political office, among other protected expressive activity.
According to the ACLU’s letter, Escondido police officers, on at least one occasion that was captured on video, cited California Vehicle Code 22520.5, as justification for demanding that protesters move from their original position. This code was not intended for such purposes; it refers to the selling of goods within 500 feet of an off-ramp, not for carrying political signs and exercising First Amendment rights. Even if the code were construed to prohibit such behavior, it would be unconstitutional because of its effect on free expression.

thehighwaymanq
05-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Wow! THIS IS GREAT!

You guys got balls! Hahaha.

A lot of people are scared to talk to cops like that, myself included, and I think you presented yourself respectfully, rationally, and intelligently.

aGameOfThrones
05-21-2011, 06:07 PM
You should get a few of your buddies and make a shirt sign like at football games and just stand close together. And when the cops come and say you can't have a sign - you just split apart and say 'what sign?' LOL. Then get back close together and rinse and repeat.

Philhelm
05-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Expect more freeways to be built in a dense network.

Chester Copperpot
05-21-2011, 06:52 PM
what were you guys protesting?

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Expect more freeways to be built in a dense network.

Don't be silly, those guys didn't have their Permission slip *license* from the Government to protest and disobey its edicts it has been passing down on High to all of us serfs and subjects. He'll soon be reprimanded that it is blasphemous to challenge the authority and directives of those who rule him. Silly peasant.

Chester Copperpot
05-21-2011, 07:00 PM
protest anywhere is okay.. as long as you dont get people to read what your signs say...

they might start thinking afterall..

cant have that.

AGRP
05-21-2011, 07:09 PM
They are there to protect our liberties.

puppetmaster
05-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Even though the cop was wrong I my opinion, he was pleasant compared to most of these thugs.

Chester Copperpot
05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Even though the cop was wrong I my opinion, he was pleasant compared to most of these thugs.

most of these cops don't know these laws.. They're just looking to follow orders.. Overall I thought the cop behaved well.

Next is go to court and cite the dept for infrining on rights.. and after they get sued and lose money then maybe they wont do it again.

Standing Like A Rock
05-21-2011, 07:41 PM

It seemed to me like he felt like he didn't really care but that he had to tell these guys to stop. His attitude was like, "I am going to ask you to stop because I have to, but when I drive away, I do not really care."

RideTheDirt
05-21-2011, 07:44 PM
what were you guys protesting?
DUI/ DRIVERS LISCENSE checkpoint. The cops impount dozen of vehicles and make a shitload of $$ off impound fees for mandatory 30 days
and if they can't pay they auction them off. This NEEDS TO STOP now.
check out our site:
Naturalrightscoalition.org
These guys are scum

Chester Copperpot
05-21-2011, 07:46 PM
It seemed to me like he felt like he didn't really care but that he had to tell these guys to stop. His attitude was like, "I am going to ask you to stop because I have to, but when I drive away, I do not really care."

Yeah.. I think in times like this its a safety issue.. For drivers and pedestrians.. thats probably why its written into the vehicle code..

If the cop *DOESNT* do this and lets say somebody gets killed.. then he's done.. loses his job, his pension.. everything...

Cop would probably be happy enough to leave the guy alone if it wasnt written in the code...

and the code might only apply to vending a product or service.. Alot of things are done like that to exempt politics.

I hope they follow this up.

puppetmaster
05-21-2011, 07:46 PM
DUI/ DRIVERS LISCENSE checkpoint. The cops impount dozen of vehicles and make a shitload of $$ off impound fees for mandatory 30 days
check out our site:
These guys are scum

scum yes

Chester Copperpot
05-21-2011, 07:47 PM
check out our site:
These guys are scum

Ah....

Well see now knowing this.. it might all boil down to $$$$

Like my dad always said.. In the end, it always boils down to money or votes.

RideTheDirt
05-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah.. I think in times like this its a safety issue.. For drivers and pedestrians.. thats probably why its written into the vehicle code..

If the cop *DOESNT* do this and lets say somebody gets killed.. then he's done.. loses his job, his pension.. everything...

Cop would probably be happy enough to leave the guy alone if it wasnt written in the code...

and the code might only apply to vending a product or service.. Alot of things are done like that to exempt politics.

Updated the first post with what happened to us back in January
check it out

anaconda
05-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Lawsuit? Firings? Letters of apology from Chief of Police? Mayor? Etc.

RideTheDirt
05-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Lawsuit? Firings? Letters of apology from Chief of Police? Mayor? Etc.
ACLU is helping us

Jandrsn21
05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
You heckled that cop pretty good! LOL

RideTheDirt
05-21-2011, 08:15 PM
You heckled that cop pretty good! LOL
Yup
Now we are pointing and yelling "WATCH OUT! ARMED CAR THIEVES!!!"as they drive by. People LOVE IT.

aGameOfThrones
05-21-2011, 08:19 PM

The Myth of Police Protection (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?228509-The-Myth-of-Police-Protection&highlight=myth+police+protection)

Cop lets 11-year old girl die of Asthma at traffic stop (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?259225-Cop-lets-11-year-old-girl-die-of-Asthma-at-traffic-stop&highlight=Cop+ticket+girl+die)

AGRP
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
What about signs or advertisements on vehicles?

Are marked police cars violating this law? Those police lights seem really distracting.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
+rep for getting out there and "doing it".

BlackTerrel
05-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Wow. OP that is awesome!! Good for you man - I really respect that.