PDA

View Full Version : [video] Rand Paul On AC 360 About Obama Breaking The Law In Libya (War Powers Act)

Immortal Technique
05-21-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSlKzbR0gLg

Airing Date May.20, 2011

Rand Paul On AC 360 About Obama Breaking The Law In Libya (War Powers Act)
Fantastic interview from Rand.

specialkornflake
05-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Very enjoyable to watch Rand's efforts, best interview I've heard in a long, long time.

Aratus
05-21-2011, 09:42 AM
if "W"=Big 'O'
this all is no
real change?

messana
05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Loved him calling out the senate's incompetence at the end. Did not expect that.

CUnknown
05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I love the perspective of him as a citizen politician, keep it up Rand! "I should return my check because we don't do anything." Beautiful.. I wish more politicians thought that way!

libertybrewcity
05-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Loved the interview!! His skills have gotten a million times better.

cubical
05-21-2011, 12:07 PM
The last part makes me so angry. Congress just wastes time while they are there. I am sure they are busy eating their $50 lunches with their friends and lobbyists, but they don't have time to debate wasting billions in Lybia. Sickening.

specsaregood
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I love Dr. Ron Paul, BUT is it too late to suggest he bow out and endorse Dr. Rand Paul for the primary?

He wants to have those BIG debates, well what better way to get them than a presidential primary?

NewRightLibertarian
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
He's even better than his old man!

Noob
05-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Does Rand as any plans to filibuster the Patriot Act?

Sola_Fide
05-21-2011, 01:14 PM
I love Dr. Ron Paul, BUT is it too late to suggest he bow out and endorse Dr. Rand Paul for the primary?

He wants to have those BIG debates, well what better way to get them than a presidential primary?

You will be chastised for this but I too think Rand would absolutely annihilate Obama in the debates and set the entire country on a new course.

But we may have to wait a few years for that to happen:(

Kylie
05-21-2011, 01:16 PM
That was an awesome interview!

They sit there and do nothing! Sounds like it may be time to check in and get them off their butts.

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 01:19 PM
You will be chastised for this but I too think Rand would absolutely annihilate Obama in the debates and set the entire country on a new course.

But we may have to wait a few years for that to happen:(

Then again, compare Rand with Maddow against Ron with Matthews.

They each have their strong points, and Ron has more experience, and a record noone can deny. Rand having less of a record can be more easily spun, even to those who look into him. And Rand is stronger with some people, while Ron is stronger with others. That ppp poll on Rand had him at a very high name recognition, but he didn't poll as well substantively as Ron.

I'm glad we have Ron this year and Rand in 2016

Anti Federalist
05-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Assuming a free and open election process and no behind the scenes chicanery, skullduggery or "dirty tricksterism" (a mighty large assumption) I'm running on the idea that in many ways, we're setting the stage for Rand in 2016 right now.

Romulus
05-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Even Anderson Cooper warms up to Rand. It seems like he has earned a ton of respect, even from the general media.

specsaregood
05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Then again, compare Rand with Maddow against Ron with Matthews.

But Rand did very well with Matthews as well. It was Matthews in fact that MSNBC trotted out to "correct" themselves after smearning Rand for 24hours.

They each have their strong points, and Ron has more experience, and a record noone can deny. Rand having less of a record can be more easily spun, even to those who look into him. And Rand is stronger with some people, while Ron is stronger with others. That ppp poll on Rand had him at a very high name recognition, but he didn't poll as well substantively as Ron.

I'm glad we have Ron this year and Rand in 2016

I'll take either. BUT Rand's rant at the end sounds like a guy that wants to debate, there is no better place to force that debate than in the primary and general election. I've said all along that I think Rand has a better chance in the primary than Ron and vice-versa. Well, I think either one would stand a decent chance of taking out Obama in the general election. I'll back either, but I wouldn't complain if Ron dropped out and Rand stepped in. Rand looks like he has that fire in his belly but is a smooth operator.

specsaregood
05-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Assuming a free and open election process and no behind the scenes chicanery, skullduggery or "dirty tricksterism" (a mighty large assumption) I'm running on the idea that in many ways, we're setting the stage for Rand in 2016 right now.

Remember a month or so ago PPP did a poll asking who else to Poll in teh republican field and Rand was an option? Rand won that poll and I assume they did the polling. THEY NEVER RELEASED THE RESULTS. I got some ideas on why....

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 01:32 PM
But Rand did very well with Matthews as well. It was Matthews in fact that MSNBC trotted out to "correct" themselves after smearning Rand for 24hours.

I'll take either. BUT Rand's rant at the end sounds like a guy that wants to debate, there is no better place to force that debate than in the primary and general election. I've said all along that I think Rand has a better chance in the primary than Ron and vice-versa. Well, I think either one would stand a decent chance of taking out Obama in the general election. I'll back either, but I wouldn't complain if Ron dropped out and Rand stepped in. Rand looks like he has that fire in his belly but is a smooth operator.

I prefer Ron this year, and he is who we have, so I'd rather build enthusiasm there than buyer's remorse. However, I look forward to supporting Rand as well when his time comes. I do think Ron is a little more experienced about some of the tricks that are played. I remember wincing during Rand's election, too. Frankly BOTH our guys get hit with both barrels, as none others do, and anyone would stumble sometimes. This was a friendly interview.

Also, Rand never went on Matthews, during the election, I'm not even sure he has yet. But I think Rand is spectacular. I do think Ron fires people up as Rand doesn't yet as much, but part of that is Ron's record. Rand just needs a record of his own. I agree with the primary/general election dichotomy to some extent, though.

About debates, I wish they DID debate, either of our guys would eat them alive. But they are just asked media choice questions while they are standing next to eachother, and that is termed a 'debate'.

specsaregood
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I prefer Ron this year, and he is who we have, so I'd rather build enthusiasm there than buyer's remorse.

Buyer's remorse is not how I would phrase it and I'm sorry if that is how you see my comments. I think Dr. Paul will be the best President since well before I was born.

Also, Rand never went on Matthews, during the election, I'm not even sure he has yet.

My mistake, I coulda sworn he had. I think it would be a fabulous interview. Back in '07 Dr. Paul listed off Matthews as one of the few good talking heads on tv.

About debates, I wish they DID debate, either of our guys would eat them alive. But they are just asked media choice questions while they are standing next to eachother, and that is termed a 'debate'.

True that, they don't debate any longer. they just take turns being talking heads.

jp5065
05-21-2011, 02:53 PM
This man could be president

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Remember a month or so ago PPP did a poll asking who else to Poll in teh republican field and Rand was an option? Rand won that poll and I assume they did the polling. THEY NEVER RELEASED THE RESULTS. I got some ideas on why....

Yeah, they did.

specsaregood
05-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah, they did.

They released the results? Got a link? Last I looked I couldn't find them.

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I had to search for where I posted them before, I couldn't find it on their blog page. I pmd you but here they are:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?287689-PPP-poll-results-including-Rand-against-Obama-(Ron-not-polled)&highlight=ppp+poll+rand

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_US_04131205.pdf

Ron polled better the last time he was polled against Obama, for what it is worth. they will be polling again this weekend (on Ron, also I think on Cain and Huntsman).

specsaregood
05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
I had to search for where I posted them before, I couldn't find it on their blog page. I pmd you but here they are:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?287689-PPP-poll-results-including-Rand-against-Obama-(Ron-not-polled)&highlight=ppp+poll+rand

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_US_04131205.pdf

Ron polled better the last time he was polled against Obama, for what it is worth. they will be polling again this weekend (on Ron, also I think on Cain and Huntsman).

Ok, I had though they were gonna poll the primary, not against Obama. I would have really liked to see the #s for Rand in the primary.

raiha
05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
This man could be president

Nah! Too principled!

speciallyblend
05-21-2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJb3Lcvtn4M

QueenB4Liberty
05-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I think it was a great interview.

puppetmaster
05-21-2011, 07:35 PM
VP!!

puppetmaster
05-21-2011, 07:45 PM
great vid

galantarie
05-22-2011, 08:14 AM
In a letter to leaders of the U.S.Congress on Friday, President Barack Obama has requested their support for continued military operations in Libya, the legal deadline of 60 days of intervention without parliamentary authority was exceeded.
OF RAND's VIDEO, on YOU-TUBE (before the video was taken down & censored), "Pipard" writes "Obama is a Law Breaker for waging war on Libya without Congress Approval.
Rand Paul, one of the only honest men in Congress, is calling Obama out for breaking the Law by going to War in Gross Violation of the War Powers Act. In actuality, Ob...ama is a scummy crooked little criminal thug from Chicago, home of the dirtiest politicians in America, who is violating the US Constitution and he needs to be impeached and jailed for his Crimes against both Libya as well as against the US Constitution."
-------------------

NATO aircraft sink seven small Libyan 35' Coast-Guard Vessels and one disabled 100 metre Naval Frigate which was in dock for extensive repairs.
The Associated Press and Reuters
20 May 2011
TRIPOLI, Libya — On Thursday, Gadhafi appeared briefly on Libyan state TV, his first appearance in several days.
“The eight vessels belonged to the destroyed Libyan Coast Guard; and did not exceed fifty feet in length,” assured Captain Al-Omran Ferjani, Coastguard-in-Chief, at a press conference.
Among them was only one Navy disabled frigate of a hundred meters long, which was docked at the port of Tripoli for maintenance, ” he said.
According to the commander, Libya was officially under a “Maritime Halt”.; where no vessel of the navy or the coast guard has ever left the port since 25 March 2011 , when “we received a notification by NATO banning all of our vessels from navigation, even in territorial waters,” he said.
The ships were sunk in coordinated attacks on the ports of Tripoli, Al Khums and Sirte, an Alliance statement said. NATO also accused Libya of using its ships in the escalating conflict. All Libyan officials have denied the accusation that Libya has mined the harbor of Mistrata; and stated that all vessels were grounded by order of NATO (which the Officials claimed to have respected).
Mohammed Rashid, general manager of the Tripoli port, said some damage was done to the port, but that it was minimal. A government official later said he feared the NATO strike would discourage ships from using the Tripoli port, reducing imports and driving up the cost of basic goods for Libyans.
In a tour given to reporters at a distance from the area, a ship could be seen on fire, with flames and plumes of smoke rising the from stricken vessel.
The Western Coalition has stepped up its airstrikes in Tripoli in an apparent attempt to weaken Gadhafi’s chief stronghold, the Libyan capital, and potentially target the leader himself. The Gadhafi family compound, Bab al-Aziziya, has been targeted several times. The NATO forces/ & the USA alligned to use a BUNKER-BUSTER NUKE, 200 miles s-west of Tripoli, where they believed that Moammar Gadhafi and some members of the congressional committees (with their families) were believed to be hiding out since the intensified bombings of Tripoli). Also, a NATO strike early Friday hit a police academy in the Tripoli neighborhood of Tajoura, a government official said.
‘New offer’
Libyan government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim told reporters at a late-night news conference Thursday that in a meeting earlier this week with Russian leaders, an envoy offered to withdraw Libyan fighters from cities as part of a peace deal, if rebels do the same.
“We are even prepared to go as far as withdrawing our army from all Libyan cites and population centers,” he said. “This is a new offer.”
Ibrahim said the offer was the farthest the government had gone since fighting broke out against the rebels. He said as part of the deal, NATO would also have to halt its strikes of Libyan targets.
There was no immediate comment by rebel leaders based in the eastern city of Benghazi.
Increasingly critical vis-à-vis the operations of NATO, the African Union (AU) announced it will hold an Extraordinary Summit devoted especially to Libya, 25 and 26 May in Addis Ababa. Tripoli had asked the summit in April to find an African solution to the crisis.
The AU had initiated a mediation concerning a “roadmap” which was accepted by Mr Gaddafi but rejected by the rebels, who demanded the departure of Moammar and Saif Gadhafi prior to any discussion.
The rebels have rejected previous offers, emboldened by NATO strikes that have helped them cling to swaths of the country. The rebel forces want to capture the two highways to the north and south of the Nafusa mountain range, which slices across the desert south of Tripoli to the western border with Tunisia.

In a letter to leaders of the U.S.Congress on Friday, President Barack Obama has requested their support for continued military operations in Libya, the legal deadline of 60 days of intervention without parliamentary authority was exceeded.
In Benghazi, four French employees of a private-owned security company, who were held since 11 May 2011 [after an arrest that resulted in the death of their boss], were released Saturday and returned to Egypt, said the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs .They were suspected of spying for Gaddafi, but “the Libyan justice (rebel) did not intend to try them, and wanted to just shoot them”, explained a Libyan source close to the matter, on Friday, adding: “We want them out and they should never come back again. The important thing was to prevent harm to them by our justice. ”
__________________________________________________ _______________
NATO's ‘Military aggression’ & CAUSING Severe Shortages of necessary Civilian supplies and home provisions in Tripoli:
NATO has come under increasing criticism that it is overstepping the U.N. Security Council’s mandate, which provides for the protection of civilians but not for wider attacks. The Pan African Parliament, the legislative body of the African Union, plans an emergency session next week to discuss what it calls NATO’s “military aggression.”
The latest reported NATO raids targeted the sprawling, heavily fortified Gadhafi compound Saturday, said government spokesman Ibrahim Uthman. The spokesman earlier said a NATO strike hit the port.
Uthman said he believed four people were hit in the strike but the extent of their injuries was not immediately clear.
—————-.
Reuters Television pictures showed a column of smoke rising over the capital.
On Friday, NATO also struck a facility near the capital Friday and a command and control hub near Sebha, a Gadhafi stronghold deep in Libya’s southwestern desert, a NATO statement said in Brussels. Three surface-to-air missile launchers were hit near the government-held town of Sirte, and three rocket launchers near the rebel-held town of Zintan in the mountains south of Tripoli.
Also on Friday, NATO warplanes bombed seven Libyan small coast guard vessels, and one naval 100 meter frigate in three ports, leaving ships partially sunken and charred and showering docks with debris in the military alliance’s broadest attack on Gadhafi.
Commandant Omran al-Forjani, head of Libya’s coast guard, claimed the targeted ships were used to patrol Libyan waters for boats carrying African migrants trying to make the dangerous sea crossing to Europe and for search-and-rescue operations.
A NATO task force has also boarded 47 vessels — including one on Friday — and seven ships filled with provisions of food and medical supplies, have been diverted to Bengazi Rebels, leaving Tripoli in dire shortage, since the NATO naval operation started in mid-March.
The latest vessel to be boarded was identified as the MV Jupiter, NATO said Saturday. The tanker, whose registration remained unclear, was carrying gasoline and was instructed not to continue to Libya “because we had reason to believe it was intended for military purposes”, a NATO official said. Such turn-aways have left Tripoli with very little gasoline at the commercial pumps, creating a growing frustration of residents struggling to cope with rising food prices and gasoline shortages.
In the coastal town of Zawiya, crowds apparently are outraged by dwindling fuel supplies. An attack on foreign journalists took place as their vehicle was caught in a traffic jam caused by miles-long lines of cars waiting for days for fuel, the journalists said.
Several plainclothes security agents fired into the air around the bus to drive back the crowd. Another security man boarded the bus and pushed out the attackers. Police led the bus to a nearby station for the reporters’ safety.
Libyan officials, meanwhile, have tried to portray the NATO attacks as hitting civilian and other non-military targets.
Libyan officials in Tripoli took reporters to a civil-police building that was bombed earlier this week. The officials said the building’s offices were used to follow up on corruption cases, but NATO officials had described it as a “command and control center” — the standard description they have been giving for of most of their targets.
The building appeared to have some civilian use. Strewn, charred papers shoved in an abandoned sack showed correspondence of officials trying to pursue small corruption cases.
One paper dated Oct. 29, 2005, summoned a seller of expired medicines to give a statement to authorities. A paper from July 7, 2010, urges education heads to prevent cheating in exams. Another from Oct. 9, 2010, lists the problems that delayed the building of 52 units for seven years and noted other overdue projects.
“In whose interests is it to fight people who fight corruption?” asked a government employee, Othman Baraka.
On Saturday, London based “rights” group Amnesty International said hundreds of men have disappeared from Misrata, the rebels’ main toehold in western Libya, since 18 March 2011.
In Paris, France’s Foreign Ministry said four Frenchmen held by Libyan rebel forces on suspicion of spying have been released and are now in Egypt.
The four worked for a private security company and were detained by Libya’s rebel forces at a checkpoint on May 12 in Benghazi, the eastern Libya base for rebel forces. A rebel commander at the time accused them of spying. The fifth member of the group had died of wounds he suffered after being shot at the checkpoint.
© 2011 msnbc.com

grizzums
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Awesome interview! Effectively called out the President's lack of leadership, and Congress lack competence and clearly articulated his contrast to both, sprinkling in the importance of adhering to the Constitution and the rule of law. Brilliant!