PDA

View Full Version : There WILL be a STRAW POLL at the SRLC NEXT MONTH Ron and Rand both speaking

sailingaway
05-20-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.redstate.com/cdavis_lv/2011/05/20/republican-leadership-conference-statistics/

when we looked into this before it appeared there wasn't one, now it appears there is.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM - Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM (CT)
New Orleans, United States

ONe of these links says Rand was invited but that it was still 'pending', but I've seen other places it says he is attending. Including in posts here. So I'm not sure what's up with that.

http://ronaldreagan.com/

http://republican.eventbrite.com/

note there are 'discount rates' in one of those. I don't see on the official stuff where the straw poll is, but Erick E. from redstate says there is one in his blog. Still checking.

Yep -- there will be a straw poll

With one month until the 2011 Republican Leadership Conference – here are some interesting statistics.

- Eight Potential Presidential Candidates
- Seven US Congressmen
- Two Governors
- Two US Senators
- Activists, donors, candidates and elected officials from 38 states
- Press representing 41 outlets in 5 countries

And one presidential straw poll that will help determine the next President of the United States. http://www.rlc2011.com/blog/

trey4sports
05-20-2011, 06:08 PM
i bet this event will be filled with old people....

Kotin
05-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I'll be there most likely..

Paulatized
05-20-2011, 06:28 PM
i bet this event will be filled with old people....

Well I was there last year and there were a good many older people (how ever you define that), me included in those numbers. Evangelicals for Mitt had a big turn out as I remember they were offering tickets for free. Also, seems like some youngsters lollygagged around and missed out on the vote.

Paulatized
05-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Now that I think about it that was when Cain first hinted of a presidential run.

JWZguy
05-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Dang, 300$ is a little rich for a grad student's budget. Where's the standing room only + tap water ticket price?

Kotin
05-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Wonder if cfl is getting a block of tickets?

sailingaway
05-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Wonder if cfl is getting a block of tickets?

With their distancing themselves, I would doubt it. And they have nothing at the site. Nor does LibertyPac which doesn't look like it has been updated since the end of April. And the Campaign site not only has nothing big on it, the event isn't even on the event calendar.....:rolleyes:

I wonder if the campaign knows. It might have just been decided - to get more attendees. I emailed Steve Bierfeldt but it was at a gmail account he put on the forums a while back and I have no clue how often he uses it. You REALLY have to search the SRLC site to find this, it isn't on the main page and isn't on the 'agenda'.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-20-2011, 07:39 PM
NOLA in the summer... ought to be fun.

rp08orbust
05-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. I bet Mitt Romney knew about the straw poll all along.

sailingaway
05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I bet Cain did.

rp08orbust
05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I bet Cain did.

I guess I hope he beats Mitt Romney.

If Ron had raised a few million dollars in the May 5 moneybomb, I would say it would be worth Ron Paul spending a couple hundred thousand dollars on another attempt to win this, but since he only raised one million, it should all go to Ames.

Mallory
05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
what's Ron's chance of winning this? Was there one last year, and how did he do? Who are the 8 candidates ?

rp08orbust
05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
what's Ron's chance of winning this? Was there one last year, and how did he do? Who are the 8 candidates ?

Last year, C4L and YAL bought about 800 tickets and sold all of them to members at deeply discounted prices ($30 each I believe). Ron Paul ended up with only about 450 votes, losing to Mitt Romney (the winner) by one vote.

Without similar help from C4L and YAL, I think there is very little chance of Ron Paul winning this year.

libertybrewcity
05-20-2011, 09:40 PM
bump!! yaaa

FriedChicken
05-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm very glad to hear Rand is speaking. What the heck is up with YAL and C4L buying tickets for 350 people who didn't vote? Should RP of had 800 votes?

goRPaul
05-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Dang, 300$ is a little rich for a grad student's budget. Where's the standing room only + tap water ticket price?

LMAO +rep. I plan on being in Louisiana at that time. Any word that YAL and/or C4L will be doing discounted tickets again?

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Last year, C4L and YAL bought about 800 tickets and sold all of them to members at deeply discounted prices ($30 each I believe). Ron Paul ended up with only about 450 votes, losing to Mitt Romney (the winner) by one vote.

Without similar help from C4L and YAL, I think there is very little chance of Ron Paul winning this year.

Only the student tickets were way discounted, and SRLC HAD discounted student tickets, so the additional discount wasn't much. This time they don't seem to. It seems they don't want students for some reason. However, now Ron isn't just spreading his ideas, he is running for president and unlike what is rumored about Romney at the Ames straw poll last time, Ron's groups aren't going to skirt the requirements on this sort of thing. Cain is a fraud imho, given he pretends TARP was paid back (ignoring that our loans at the discount window, essentially free money, was loaned back to us at 3% by bond purchase instead of being loaned, say to small businesses -- paying back the original balance leaves us still out the interest differential.) Romney, for all his flip flops on policy is so clearly an establishment tool he doesn't offend me in the same way as a pretend populist.

Paulatized
05-21-2011, 07:28 AM
It seems they don't want students for some reason.

They know who those young people would support. Too close last time, had to do something.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Discounted tickets are on their way, in the mean time WE NEED A (S)RLC SUBFORUM!!!!

malkusm
05-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Discounted tickets are on their way, in the mean time WE NEED A (S)RLC SUBFORUM!!!!

Discounted tickets are on their way? How do you know this? :confused:

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Discounted tickets are on their way? How do you know this? :confused:

Just go with it. It makes sense.

rp08orbust
05-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Assuming you know what you're talking about, I'm glad to hear this, but would you have any idea why the campaign doesn't appear to be doing anything about winning the far more important Presidency 5 straw poll in Florida whose registration deadline of June 10 is just around the corner? Unlike the SRLC, getting supporters registered won't cost the campaign an arm and a leg for now--online registration is free, and registrants only have to pay if they attend their county caucuses later in the summer and win delegate spots by lottery.

Paulatized
05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Does anybody have any idea what day RP will be speaking? Please tell me it will be Saturday. Nothing yet about who will speak when on the agenda on the web page.

malkusm
05-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Assuming you know what you're talking about, I'm glad to hear this, but would you have any idea why the campaign doesn't appear to be doing anything about winning the far more important Presidency 5 straw poll in Florida whose registration deadline of June 10 is just around the corner? Unlike the SRLC, getting supporters registered won't cost the campaign an arm and a leg for now--online registration is free, and registrants only have to pay if they attend their county caucuses later in the summer and win delegate spots by lottery.

Well said, it's important to remember that straw poll. I think it's listed on http://www.ronpaulrides.com/ if anyone is trying to get down there and needs a ride, or if anyone is going and would like to offer one. :)

rp08orbust
05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Well said, it's important to remember that straw poll. I think it's listed on http://www.ronpaulrides.com/ if anyone is trying to get down there and needs a ride, or if anyone is going and would like to offer one. :)

I'm going to try some robocalling, with ronpaulhawaii's help, to get Ron Paul supporters registered online before June 10. First we need the voter database that can be bought from the Florida Election Division in Tallahassee for $10. Do you (or anyone else) know anyone in Tallahassee who could help?

malkusm
05-21-2011, 10:54 AM
bobbyw24 on the forums is in Jacksonville, I believe. There's also a prominent YAL chapter at Florida State if I'm not mistaken. And perhaps you can check the Freedom Atlas to get some contact information for groups in the area: http://www.freedomatlas.org/ (some of the groups might no longer be around, it needs an update)

rp08orbust
05-21-2011, 11:18 AM
bobbyw24 on the forums is in Jacksonville, I believe. There's also a prominent YAL chapter at Florida State if I'm not mistaken. And perhaps you can check the Freedom Atlas to get some contact information for groups in the area: http://www.freedomatlas.org/ (some of the groups might no longer be around, it needs an update)

Thanks for the suggestions. I've sent messages to the admin of http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_2204750892 about the CD and have requested to join their group.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-21-2011, 01:24 PM
On Monday there should be a release of information about how to get the tickets for RP supporters. These tickets will be given away free. The challenge is to ensure that only RP people get the tickets and not G J or H C or others etc....

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
On Monday there should be a release of information about how to get the tickets for RP supporters. These tickets will be given away free. The challenge is to ensure that only RP people get the tickets and not G J or H C or others etc....

That will indeed be a challenge.

torchbearer
05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
//

QueenB4Liberty
05-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Man now I really want to go! The straw poll is only on Thursday though?

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Man now I really want to go! The straw poll is only on Thursday though?

I have no idea when it is.

QueenB4Liberty
05-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Ok..and is anyone else from Houston going and would like to carpool? lol If I only had to take off Friday from work that would be more ideal.

sailingaway
05-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Ok..and is anyone else from Houston going and would like to carpool? lol If I only had to take off Friday from work that would be more ideal.

Start a thread for that. I've asked Josh for a subforum but if he creates one we can move all the threads there. We don't have that much time to plan, this was sort of late notice.

torchbearer
05-21-2011, 08:29 PM

josh would probably be coming from that area.
rent a van, create a ronvoy.

rp08orbust
05-21-2011, 11:15 PM

That will indeed be a challenge.

Especially when there was such a large discrepancy between tickets issued and votes for Ron last time when tickets were issued for $30.

Another challenge will be making sure that genuine Ron Paul supporters who receive free tickets get off their drunken asses and actually vote on time. I suggest that providing one's mobile phone number to the campaign be a condition for receiving the free ticket so that ticket holders can be woken up and SMS'ed with critical information during the straw poll to help avoid some of the problems from last time.

rp08orbust
05-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Why is this thread not yet in its own SRLC sub-forum that isn't searchable by the whole world, given the talk of free tickets etc? It's been read by more than one moderator already.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Bump

sailingaway
05-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Why is this thread not yet in its own SRLC sub-forum that isn't searchable by the whole world, given the talk of free tickets etc? It's been read by more than one moderator already.

I don't think I can create a subforum. I did ask Josh but I'm not sure he saw it. I agree I wish that info wasn't in the thread.

rp08orbust
05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I don't think I can create a subforum. I did ask Josh but I'm not sure he saw it. I agree I wish that info wasn't in the thread.

I tried to get admin to create sub-forums visible only to members for CPAC 2010 and SRLC 2010 but it never happened. Perhaps the software doesn't allow it outside of Off Topic and admin does not wish to admit this ;)

rp08orbust
05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
We got our Presidency 5 sub-forum. Keep bugging Josh and Bryan about one for SRLC.

And by the way, have those free tickets become available like Napoleon's Shadow said they would?

rp08orbust
05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Can anyone obtain the voter database for Louisiana on short notice? If the robocalling for Presidency 5 yields a good rate of return, we might want to try it for the SRLC too.

trey4sports
05-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Can anyone obtain the voter database for Louisiana on short notice? If the robocalling for Presidency 5 yields a good rate of return, we might want to try it for the SRLC too.

Great idea! You might want to PM torchbearer he seems pretty connected in that area

QueenB4Liberty
05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
If someone can make sure Ron Paul is not speaking on Thursday, I can vote in the straw poll after Thursday, and the tickets are not $200, I'll really try to go. But I have to know details ASAP to take off work.

sailingaway
05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
If someone can make sure Ron Paul is not speaking on Thursday, I can vote in the straw poll after Thursday, and the tickets are not $200, I'll really try to go. But I have to know details ASAP to take off work.

Tickets it sounds like you don't have to worry about, but they barely said there WAS a straw poll. No idea when voting is. But if they are using it to up attendance, they will have to say. I'm limited on computer today but tomorrow I'll email them and ask when the straw poll is, if no one tells us.

QueenB4Liberty
05-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok thanks, because I really would like to go, and I may even convince my dad to come with me. lol I just need to get a day off.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Why no subforum yet?

Paulatized
05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
What about ticket information?

sailingaway
05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
I sent an email asking about when speakers are and can you register if you don't arrive until Friday and when the straw poll is, and I will post that as soon as I get it. I wonder about the tickets too. It is possible that is still in the works, but also possible it was a false rumor or that they are only going to be offered to students (since SRLC does not have a discount price this year for students. ) I'd say we should go ahead as if they were coming, but also think about putting up chip ins for those who can go but need help with the ticket cost, in case the tickets don't materialize.

Napoleon's Shadow
05-26-2011, 05:49 AM
LATEST INFO is here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?295194-(S)RLC-NOLA-2011-Info-Schedule!&p=3300590 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?295194-%28S%29RLC-NOLA-2011-Info-Schedule%21&p=3300590)