PDA

View Full Version : Drop out of school and lose your license in Pennsylvania.

123tim
05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Today I was shocked to hear about a bill being proposed that cause a suspension of driving privileges for students who drop out of school.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Drop-Out-of-School-Lose-License-122062614.html

While school administrators are applauding it, some parents think it's an unfair idea.
The Blue Ridge School District has the highest drop out rate in Susquehanna county.
According to preliminary reports from Pennsylvania's Department of Education, only 73% of seniors graduated in the 2009-2010 school year.
"Reasons students drop out from Blue Ridge can range from economic reasons to hardships at home," said Blue Ridge High School Principal, Matthew Nebzydoski.
A new bill proposed in the state senate would suspend drivers licenses for 90 days if a student drops out.
It also proposes the license could be given or reactivated when the individual turns 21.
Or if the student obtains a GED diploma and all court costs and fines are paid back.

Sort of funny....I actually think that most kids are too young to drive at 16. Now I'm defending their right to do so.

dean.engelhardt
05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Force dropouts to move to West Virginia? This is a serious effed up bill.

amy31416
05-20-2011, 02:32 PM
That couldn't possibly backfire, now could it?

Kick people while they're down, make it more difficult for them to be a productive person, make it more likely that they'll be driving despite this bullshit--cash in.

Kregisen
05-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Fucking ridiculous.

zacharyrow
05-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Is "loose" on purpose?

dannno
05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I hate school administrators.

123tim
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Is "loose" on purpose?

Doh. No it wasn't.....I'll say that it was a typo. :o
I would hope that I would have caught that in proofreading, if I had done it.

Maybe I should have stayed in school a few extra years. :)

zacharyrow
05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Doh. No it wasn't.....I'll say that it was a typo. :o
I hope that I would have caught that in proofreading.

You're still a million times smarter than the people proposing these bills.

belian78
05-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Kick people while they're down, make it more difficult for them to be a productive person, make it more likely that they'll be driving despite this bullshit--cash in.

Not to mention making them more apt to have to rely on social safety nets. What Highschool dropout is going to be able to support themselves by getting a mc'job, which is all they'll be able to get themselves back and forth too.

brandon
05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
"Reasons students drop out from Blue Ridge can range from economic reasons to hardships at home," said Blue Ridge High School Principal, Matthew Nebzydoski.

What about because it is fucking boring and not teaching them anything they couldn't learn on their own? I think that it's important to mention that reason. That's why I dropped out of school.

Agorism
05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Some will drive illegally..

specsaregood
05-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Yeah and wondering about this part:

Or if the student obtains a GED diploma and all court costs and fines are paid back.

Are they going to charge them and fine them for dropping out as well?

Humanae Libertas
05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
What about home-schoolers'? Will they be affected by this since they're not enrolled in a "public" school. Once again the state trying to social engineer everyone into the way they think people should be -- what business is of the state to make sure there are enough people graduating on time, or graduate at all?

Napoleon's Shadow
05-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Government shouldn't run the schools, nor should they own the roads.

aGameOfThrones
05-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Today I was shocked to hear about a bill being proposed that cause a suspension of driving privileges for students who drop out of school.

Sort of funny....I actually think that most kids are too young to drive at 16. Now I'm defending their right to do so.

Privilege.

aGameOfThrones
05-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Some will drive illegally..

Or travel by Right, depends on how you look at it.

farrar
05-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Very similar bill in Georgia. doesn't help, just makes their lives harder when they have to take the bus for everything.

farrar
05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Privilege.

Idk, I think its a grey area if you pay taxes. It be much more black and white if roads were privatized.

aGameOfThrones
05-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Idk, I think its a grey area if you pay taxes. It be much more black and white if roads were privatized.

To "drive" is a privilege (I.e. License). That's why the state giveth and taketh away from high school drop outs and anyone they choose to.

farrar
05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
To "drive" is a privilege (I.e. License). That's why the state giveth and taketh away from high school drop outs and anyone they choose to.

Yeah, I happen to think that youshouldn't need a license to operate your own property. Now whether or not someone will let you drive on their property is another issue. To me this is a grey area, because if you pay taxes you are contributing to the road, and in some sense own apart of it. But so do all the people who want their fellow drivers to have a license. This wouldn't be such a dilema if
a) you can opt out of paying for roads
b) roads were privatized.

If they are privatized then driving is a privlege bestowed upon you by the property owner by whatever reason or stipulation they provide be it a license, a fee, or whatever.

If you have the option to opt out of paying tax to the road system, then abiding by the rules becomes an agreement instead of forcing an individual to pay into a product they don't want.

Thats just my opinion I suppose.

Michael Landon
05-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Wouldn't the students be able to go and get their license when they turn 18 anyway?

- ML

amy31416
05-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah and wondering about this part:

Are they going to charge them and fine them for dropping out as well?

Sounds like it...

123tim
05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
So, I'm sitting at the computer trying to find what this bill is actually called (I've had no luck yet) so that I can contact the proper legislators or whoever else might listen. I was troubled to find that there are similar bills in several states....

I then found a website called "MomsLikeMe.com" that had these troubling comments:

Posted by Sensiblesarah on May 16, 2011 at 09:01 AM

I saw this clip on Fox and Friends today .Most people agree that 8.7% drop out rate is way too high in our country. They are trying to pass a law in certain states if a teen drops out of High School their driver's license gets revoked. This has been tried in others states with not much luck though. Would you support this in Florida? What can we do about the drop out rate ?

I am pretty sure this law is already in effect in Florida, if not, it should be. It is sad that there are so many kids who drop out of school. I know it was very uncommon when and where I went to school. Life is hard enough when you graduate and go on to college, I can't imagine how hard it can be financially without a high school diploma. I read that Gadsen county has a really high drop out rate, I don't know what the answers are but I do think that parents have to make sure that their children know the importance of education.

I don't know if its the right thing to do either, but there should be some consequence to help deter kids from dropping out. Like Owenisaihsmom said, its hard enough to get a job with a college degree these days. Not everyone is made for college either, but education is soooo important!

I completely agree with it. Driving is a privilege. It's already a law here in Florida:

http://tallahassee.momslikeme.com/members/JournalActions.aspx?g=445671&m=17273821&source=stream_home

Another troubling news report about the bill:
http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/New-bill-would-take-license-if-students-leave/Klu9nv43506GwhS8ILMolQ.cspx

Would anyone know of a resource to find the name and number of this bill in Pennsylvania?
Any suggestions of who to contact?

ThePiousPriest
05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
This is something being proposed here in SC as well: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/may/19/sc-house-approves-bill-yanks-dropouts-licenses-ar-1864034/

BamaAla
05-20-2011, 08:44 PM
We have a similar law in Alabama. If you dropped out of school before 18, you lost your license unless you had a full time job. I don't think it really mattered as most of the people that dropped out of my high school did so in order to go to work.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2011, 09:15 PM
And the noose slips a little tighter.

Not to mention the fact that this is law in a number states already.

Just what was needed, another state initiative to promote even more "adult adolescence".

farrar
05-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Idk, I just think the whole road system is an attack on property rights. This law is just another case of men tring to stick the earth in the center of the solar system. "We need more laws and artifical deterents to encourage kids to continue attending a corrupt and inept educational system", just like they needed all these mathmatic laws and equations to explain why mars was doing loop-d-loops in the sky as it revolved around the earth. One can't help but wonder why we don't just put things back where they should be. If we are going to worry about drop our rates, creating more formulas isn't going to save the day.

Keeping kids in school is a function of parents, not government. Taking the keys away from kids is a function of parents not government. And if they are 18 and legally an adult, with all its glory and curses, they have a right to make that decision for themselves and without government like any other adult. Why do we seem to be forgeting that, and here of all places.

I also think it is important to note:
1) often times kids drop out to work inorder to help their families. I had a friend with 8 brothers and sisters and a single mom. Taking his license did not elavate their situation.

2)This happens to be the system of education that taught me:

1) We didn't know the power of the atomic bomb despite having tested it before use. If we knew we wouldn't have used it, except for the fact that we would have in order to save the japanese from themselves (doublethink much?). Btw this theme has been reoccuring since 5th grade.
2) The president has the authority to declare war himself, and should
3) The elastic clause out-weights the 10th ammendment
4) Welfare programs, as well as the regulation of a farmer's produce is an effective and constitutional use of the commerce clause
5) The war on drugs is just and necessary for our health as a nation
6) Lincoln is one of the greatest presidents in U.S history.
7)Woodrow Wilsons foriegn policy was positive awakening for america in the global affairs.
8) The gold standard was silly, and held back our economy.
9) FDR is one of the greatest presidents in US history for getting us out of the great depression
10) "[The forgotten depresion]"
10) Andrew Jackson didn't understand our need for a central bank, luckily it was not the last we would see of it.
11) we have democracy, and it is the most wonderful form of government known to man

And this goes on and on.... and in every facet of almost ever subject... especially history and english but never limited to those two. The above, I think is just another "perk" of our screwed up educational system. Droping out isn't going to be solved by taking away licenses and is merely a symptom of a system which treats its subjects as criminals whom are guilty until proven inocent.

LibForestPaul
05-20-2011, 09:43 PM
$$$ how much money is lost when an individual no longer participates in forced indoctrination by the states cronies.

amy31416
05-20-2011, 09:44 PM
This'll backfire on them when they need more cannon fodder for their warmongering and can't find any desperate 18 year-olds who are qualified to drive a Humvee through Pakistan.

And when they lose revenue from the lack of registrations, licenses and insurance.

mommaliberty
05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
we have a similar law in Mississippi, I believe. i don't have any kids driving age yet... but I do know they have to be IN school to be able to get their license.

heavenlyboy34
05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Not to mention making them more apt to have to rely on social safety nets. What Highschool dropout is going to be able to support themselves by getting a mc'job, which is all they'll be able to get themselves back and forth too.
Ya never know. Could be someone who is bored in school and drops out-then gets a GED. My sister did that.

tropicangela
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I then found a website called "MomsLikeMe.com" that had these troubling comments:

...there should be some consequence to help deter kids from dropping out.

"There's got to be a way to deter the kids from escaping prison and learning about real life." :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uem73imvn9Y

Tonewah
05-23-2011, 06:52 AM
We already have this in Alabama. A friend of mine who is a homeschool mom told me yesterday that homeschool kids have to jump through all kinds of hoops here to get a driver's licence. And they give them grief at the DMV when they try to fill out all the paperwork to get one.

Seraphim
05-23-2011, 06:56 AM
You are not done with your intellectual programming mundane. Thou shalt not pass on "public" lands until your brain is properly programmed!

Krugerrand
05-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Fabulous idea. Just think how terrible it would be if high school dropouts could actually get a job and earn money. This should effectively make sure that cannot happen. :rolleyes:

specsaregood
05-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I didn't see this posted here; but wouldn't this require some type of integration between the school systems and the DMV? Will cops be able to see your high school transcript when they pull you over, any school violations you received? Will having been caught smoking at school or failed a drug test for atheletics going to be probable cause to search your car?

Krugerrand
05-23-2011, 07:47 AM
I didn't see this posted here; but wouldn't this require some type of integration between the school systems and the DMV? Will cops be able to see your high school transcript when they pull you over, any school violations you received? Will having been caught smoking at school or failed a drug test for atheletics going to be probable cause to search your car?

I sure hope we can have a RealID to keep track of all this for us! :eek::rolleyes: